MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #21
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

BTW, I'm reading each and every one of your replies, and appreciate them all, even though i'm not replying to all.

Thanks for taking the time to offer your advise!
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Major Lazer - "Original Don"....WTF lol Schmidie Off Topic 6 12-10-2011 04:41 PM
No "him" or "her" in preschool? WTF? jhendrix Off Topic 14 06-27-2011 10:00 PM
"""WTF HOUSTON"""??????????????????? Gimpin2Fold Off Topic 21 08-17-2007 06:56 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2009, 09:36 PM   #22
bioGuru
Aut inveniam viam aut fac

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSX650F - sold

Member Garage

+1 on most of what was already said.

When its the other person's fault they have to give you the whole fair value replacement cost of your vehicle. Meaning what it would cost to purchase a replacement PLUS all damaged accessories. When its your fault your company doesn't have to pay for the extras - depending on your policy.

They damaged the bike you were riding, not a stock bike so they need to pay you for that. Show receipts, or perhaps get a professional to write up an estimate on the bike with the accessories.

Motorcycling in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.
bioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #23
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900ish SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450ishR motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX- yeah, a NOX...
Watch this spot...

That bike is (was?) freaking cool. My 0.02 is to let it go and get your maximum payout for the bike and let it go as a great memory. A crashed bike that has been rebuilt is NEVER the same. Of course this depends on how you use it. For many, it's no big deal. I have the impression you aren't far from my line of thinking about bikes. If it is a "special" one, you need to start with a non crashed model. If it is for s&g's then go for the rebuild.

I would gather every single bit of proof of what you had extra in the bike and fight for every nickel including the labor. Just refuse to give in and be stubborn as . Don't accept anything from them until you agree in the final price. I wouldn't get a lawyer unless it's a buddy doing it for a case of beer (my retainer with my lawyer).

Have them explain in great detail how your bike isn't worth it with all the money you just spent RECENTLY because then it's hard to depreciate much.

By trying to buy it back, you put yourself in a battle against yourself. If the bike is worth more, you pay more and in the end, their net won't change much. Go in with a "it's worthless to me after all this money I just recently put into it" attitude with the adjuster. Also, be NICE (while your being stubborn) to the adjuster/agent with them as you can get more with honey than bs.

Another tactic is show them a similiarly modded bike and tell them to buy it for you as a replacement. Show them the Roland Sands designed 919 Honda that Motorcycles Unlimited had for sale a while back I tried to find the ad, but couldn't. It was freaking nice also.

Staton
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #24
Candy
The Most Intolerable bish

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
'06 GSXR 1000
'02 GSXR 750

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Candy
Ok so now an insurance professional....

Flip, if the damages are in fact within or over 80% of the total value of the bike then, the insurance co, whether progressive or the other co, MUST total the bike, and you would have to do the buy back to get it back. The buy back is in essence a settlement where u get the bike and SOME money to get it fixed, but not all.

Now from SF's pov, the upgrades you mention tend not to get taken into consideration when a bike is TOTALLED, keyword TOTALLED. Y, because they are simply "replaced" parts of OEM parts that have already been included in a bikes BBV when a total loss check is cut (ie: wheels, cans), I have been told however sometimes that a claims adj can include allowances for paint, or replaced parts of higher value, but u rarely get the entire cost of the part, unless it is infact an ADDED part, like a pc3.

I've never had to read a progessive policy/end about this particular subject so I won't say they WON'T give you the additional $5k, BUT there is probably some fine print somewhere. Speak with your agent, and ask them to EXPLAIN that $5k and whether it is taken into consideration in TOTAL LOSS situations.

If it is and u get that on top of the bbv, go thru progressive. You will NOT PAY A $250 deductible under Uninsured motorist, u WILL PAY whatever your COLLISION deductible is instead, this is not UM since the guy did have ins. Once prog closes your claim and gets you paid, THEY will initiate the subrogation (who spelled that shyt wrong, lol) process against the other co, and whatever they receive will come back to you first to pay you back what you were out of on the deductible. That normally can take awhile, so don't expect a check in the mail within the next few months. I've seen them take 6 mths to a yr.

Less hassle is to take the progressive way as long as they'll give the $5k in a total loss situation, IMPO, and get the ded back later.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #25
level5
moving chicane

What is this lawyer some of you speak of??? There are no lawyers out there that can get you the money for the property and if there is, they will get a cut from it. Which, will leave you in square one or back since there will be court dates and such. Insurance can suck my nuts, I have always get fuked when dealing with them. If they were out there paying full amount on everything, they will be on the bailout list with other companies. Insurance will take your money and will find their way to pay out the least to none if they can. Imagine if they one customer out of $500 on a claim and if they have a 1000 claims a day/week, do the math, that's the saving.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:29 PM   #26
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Consider this: Accepting anything less than the fair market value, plus taxes, is allowing the person who hit you to "steal" value from you. Have the bike appraised with all the mods, as well as providing receipts for the items replaced and upgraded. As much as the insurance company rules are set out to define what compensation they expect to pay you, a court of law should side with you if you can clearly prove the insurance company did not offer you fair market value of your ride.

Talk with progressive first. Always keep your cool, be courteous, concise, and don't flex to their demands. And remember, pause and silence on your end always gives the other party time to get nervous and conceded things they would rather not say.

Whatever the end result of your negotiations, I'll give you $200 more than their final offered buy back and rebuild it myself. That's a firm offer.

Peter
Old 06-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #27
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
Yeah, it's ridiculous! I have no idea how they came up with $6k in damages? I've crashed worse with other bikes, but never wnet through insurance. I just bought used parts, and put the bikes back together for cheap. Only the painjob will cost me, and that's because I can't paint!
Don't understand what you are saying. Are you saying the damages on your bike is not worth $6K?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #28
Candy
The Most Intolerable bish

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
'06 GSXR 1000
'02 GSXR 750

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
What is this lawyer some of you speak of??? There are no lawyers out there that can get you the money for the property and if there is, they will get a cut from it. Which, will leave you in square one or back since there will be court dates and such. Insurance can suck my nuts, I have always get fuked when dealing with them. If they were out there paying full amount on everything, they will be on the bailout list with other companies. Insurance will take your money and will find their way to pay out the least to none if they can. Imagine if they one customer out of $500 on a claim and if they have a 1000 claims a day/week, do the math, that's the saving.

he's in the situation and asking for good advice. Not trying to start shyt, but I think it's in good form to NOT his thread with ur complaints about ur "opinions" of ins co's. Offer him some advice he can use in his current situation and start another ins rant thread.

For every 2 people that about ins co's, I can find another 5-10 that pay ins faithfully b/c it's been there when they needed it the most.

Flip feel free to PM ur number tomorrow if u need any clarifications, on what i've typed. GL

Last edited by Candy; 06-08-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:39 PM   #29
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy View Post
he's in the situation and asking for good advice. Not trying to start shyt, but I think it's in good form to NOT his thread with ur complaints about ur "opinions" of ins co's. Offer him some advice he can use in his current situation and start another ins rant thread.

For every 2 people that about ins co's, I can find another 5-10 that pay ins faithfully b/c it's been there when they needed it the most.
My advice is don't let the insurance company raped you like most of us. Stand your ground and tell them they need to pay for what your bike is really worth according to your receipts not what they say it is.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #30
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
i deal with insurance companies all the time just like level5. it is a FACT that MOST adjusters like to short change and find ways to NOT pay what they should pay.

don't give up hope though Flip.....as level5 has said....stand your ground and keep argueing....DO NOT get a lawyer. that is the VERY LAST EXTREME measure. getting a lawyer involved will leave you without a bike, time lost in court....and maybe a few years before you get a settled amount which would probably be only a hair more than they are offering now. also don't forget you are dealing with a major company with major league lawyers. don't expect to get full value of what you spent in the bike also.....that NEVER happens.

good luck Flip.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #31
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
Don't understand what you are saying. Are you saying the damages on your bike is not worth $6K?
Damaged Parts:
Headlight Assembly
Guage Assembly
Gas Tank
Tailpiece
Left Rearset assembly
Billet Stator Cover ($150)
Left GSG Slider Puck ($200)
Shifter Assembly
Grab Bar
Handlebar ($65)
Flyscreen ($80)
Swingarm is scuffed, but can be easily fixed

That's it, as far as I can tell. All easily bolt on parts. Doesn't seem to add up to the $6k in damages in stock replacements. They are not considering the custom paint in that estimate either.

Engine, Frame, Forks are fine.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:11 AM   #32
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
Damaged Parts:
Headlight Assembly
Guage Assembly
Gas Tank
Tailpiece
Left Rearset assembly
Billet Stator Cover ($150)
Left GSG Slider Puck ($200)
Shifter Assembly
Grab Bar
Handlebar ($65)
Flyscreen ($80)
Swingarm is scuffed, but can be easily fixed

That's it, as far as I can tell. All easily bolt on parts. Doesn't seem to add up to the $6k in damages in stock replacements. They are not considering the custom paint in that estimate either.

Engine, Frame, Forks are fine.
Would you be happy if they pay you $2000 to fix the bike?
Old 06-09-2009, 12:29 AM   #33
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

They would still have to Salvage Title it, and I would have to buy it back for $1.6k. The paint itself was $1400, and he doesn't think they'll consider that a neccessary upgrade, since it's so personal in nature.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:35 AM   #34
mattm407
Afixed2mi08!

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2008 Honda CBR600RR- El Tigre

+1 to Shadman. Nice words to live by! Fight for your money and never stoop to there level. A kind and generous smile with calm but firm words always works well!

Got a good buddy who does autos and bikes in Fort Bend. If you decide to rebuild the bike, hit me up. He rebuilt my 01 GT for 4grand under what the ins company told me it was gonna take after the boss lady was hit by a drunk driver. Did some dam good work for a great cost. All ORIGINAL Ford parts and even with some upgrades! PM me if you need the help, he seems to know "EVERYBODY" in H-town when it comes to finding parts to fix !
mattm407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:17 AM   #35
Daily Triumph
Ugh gtfo :-/

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2003 Aprilia Mille 1000 (Daily )
2002 Triumph TT600 sold
1992 Honda CBR F2 sold

Rob pm or txt me when you get a chance. My dad is a lawyer who handles these types of cases and can take care of your medical and transport replacement costs. He's currently helping lee and sheila after their accident if you need someone to confirm his reputation.
one can only be hypocritcal with regard to ones' OWN statements and opinions, and not those of the others around. great, you can't sweep and you don't own a dictionary. I hope you're better with an iron and starch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmckee View Post
apparently im a offender in Florida
Daily Triumph is offline   Reply With Quote