MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #41
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Seriously tho, in the Isle of Mann vid, he almost looks like he will make it. But as he appoaches the next corner, he APPEARS to try to turn the bike and that sets it off again.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Caption that Tank slapper NewsBot Racing News 0 12-11-2014 10:10 AM
tank slapper Javi Stunters Lounge 27 01-17-2008 04:45 PM
Is this a Tank Slapper? RinasDaddy General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 11-23-2007 11:46 AM
tank slapper golf cart Javi Off Topic 6 05-16-2007 10:58 AM
tank slapper? gixxer6 Stunters Lounge 11 02-27-2006 05:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2009, 08:36 PM   #42
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

I've never had one - and am really a noob - never raced - but looking at the videos, I'm seeing the back tire getting sideways, kicking back and forth trying to get straight, which is throwing the back of the bike violently left and right, and when the rider holds on, he naturally counter-steers - the only part of his body in control of anything... and that sets the back tire to go the opposite way in a hurry - and the reaction to that keeps making it worse! I think you'd have to be very lucky to have the chance to let go, while not being thrown from the bike, and you'd have to be in a position to not roll off the road in a turn, and not be going downhill (you'd have a hard time getting off the bars...)

So I'd agree with both views, that letting the front wheel adapt to the back, while being very lucky seems right.

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #43
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
You lost me, all tank slappers are violent. And why didn't he have a chance? I know where you are coming from. I see videos like that and at first glance I think to myself he's screwed, there was nothing he could do to save it. Then I see a video like the one pictured below, also a pro, also a violent tank slapper, also at a high speed and also in a curve. Yet he doesn't lose it. Then I have to ask myself why? There has to be a reason.

there are some tank slapper that only last a few turns and not twitchy more like a headshakes as oppose to the one in the video. Squared has the answer to the question you asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squared View Post
The guy in the video tells you exactly why. To quote the announcer "He was very lucky".

As has been stated in this thread, at high speeds it's as much luck as it is skill or experience. It doesn't always come down to skill, because there are a lot of variables you cannot control or may not even account for.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #44
FKNA

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squared View Post
The guy in the video tells you exactly why. To quote the announcer "He was very lucky".

As has been stated in this thread, at high speeds it's as much luck as it is skill or experience. It doesn't always come down to skill, because there are a lot of variables you cannot control or may not even account for.
Luck is a word that people use when they canít explain away the laws of physics in any given situation. But when analyzed, where an intensive study has been done, in the end there will be answers. The luck will be explained.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #45
Intermission
Pure Awesome

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki zx-6r
SOLD:2007 Kawasaki zx-6r
SOLD:1999 YZ-125
SOLD:2004 Can-o-Tuna

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
Luck is a word that people use when they canít explain away the laws of physics in any given situation. But when analyzed, where an intensive study has been done, in the end there will be answers. The luck will be explained.
There are almost an infinite amount of variable for any given situation so it's hard to pinpoint what exactly started or stopped the headshake.
Intermission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #46
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Grip the tank and get back on the gas to lift the front end.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #47
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
There are almost an infinite amount of variable for any given situation so it's hard to pinpoint what exactly started or stopped the headshake.
Not really.

A detailed review of the chassis geometry, tires, suspension and rider input can give an excellent road map of how to fix it.
That being said, some bikes will be more prone to head shake than others, usually due to a combination of circumstances.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:45 AM   #48
kawasakijockey
Crotchrocket Scientist

Bike(s):
2007 zx14
2002 cbr954
1977 kz1000

The fork rake will exagerate a tankslapper. Anyone that has owned an 02 CBR954 before having the triple tree update can give detailed buttpucker moments. A bike with 25degrees rake or under better have a damper. If your forks have too tight a rebound setting or not enough preload or compression it can intensify the action and recovery time. Landing wheelies a little crooked or hitting bumps can cause them, because at the same time when you compress the forks your steering rake decreases which makes the slapper worse. The fork tubes distort and flex when the wheel tries to roll in the direction it was planted and the wheel overshoots it's corrective plane over and over. Modern tire designs contribute to tankslappers too where ribbed type tires of yesteryears helped deter them.
It is a phase imbalance that initiates a tank slapper. The closer the forks are to 0 degrees compared to the 90degrees of the wheels rolling travel increase the chances dramatically.
Sorry about the geeky run-on but I have nothing better to do.
kawasakijockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #49
Intermission
Pure Awesome

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki zx-6r
SOLD:2007 Kawasaki zx-6r
SOLD:1999 YZ-125
SOLD:2004 Can-o-Tuna

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Not really.

A detailed review of the chassis geometry, tires, suspension and rider input can give an excellent road map of how to fix it.
That being said, some bikes will be more prone to head shake than others, usually due to a combination of circumstances.
I meant once it started. It makes sense that you could do things before hand to stop them.
Intermission is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement