MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009, 03:02 AM   #1
Gimpin2Fold
Wake up already

Feedback Rating: (0)

your not almighty, give it a rest.....

im talking to all those that call out a "squid " that r wearing some gear. like they have on a jacket and a helmet but because they have a rip in their jeans and not wearing a full piece leather suit than they r a squid.

GIVE IT A REST

they ride the way they feel good at. who are you to call those guys out???

you never went out without full gear on????

if you say no, i call bs,

maybe if the only time is on the track but seriously, if they have a helmet or more on, quit trying to call that person a squid..... especially when you were riding like that this past week.

just tired of seeing someone call someone else out when they were posted on "the wall of shame" just the other day for riding without a helmet.
Gimpin2Fold is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's the rest of this story?? Triumph Triple Motorcycle News & Media 0 07-18-2015 03:42 PM
So it really is one rule for them and another for the rest of us NewsBot Racing News 0 02-19-2015 12:00 PM
So it really is one rule for them an another for the rest of us NewsBot Racing News 0 02-19-2015 09:00 AM
my mind cant let this rest... kingworm General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 06-19-2014 12:45 AM
Where did they put the rest of him?????????? Grinchy Off Topic 7 07-27-2010 10:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2009, 03:12 AM   #2
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'12 cbr250r
razkull 125
pink electric kid's scoot

Member Garage

so what? i can think of worse things to be called
i do not consider myself to be a squid, but i never wear motorcycling pants. i dont even have them. i have some a* knee/shin guards that i wear for anything more than my dull commute. i'll likely never need a leather track suit.
i see people all the time with no gear at all on, but so what? it does no good to call them squids. if they want to wind up as a glistening streak on the pavement, instead of bumped up and dizzy, thats their call.
i have co workers who shun the need of anything beyond the wrap around oakleys. jeebus. wtf ever.

if i had a point, i dont remember what it was.
im going to bed. take it easy, squid.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:29 AM   #3
ALEXD
HOUSTUNNAS

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
05 R6
SOLD-00 GSXR 750 StreetFighter
SOLD- 99 GSXR 600
SOLD-01 YAMAHA R6
03 600 RR

Yup, its there own choice. I dont have riding pants either, just the basic helmet and mesh riding jacket. I have also went down twice one time with no helmet and didnt get hurt just rash on my elbow but it opened my eyes to how quickly things can go wrong and i was a block away from getting home. Now I wear full gear all the time and it saved me the second time. My friends talk sometimes because i wear my riding jacket when its 95 degreez outside but i dont care cause i know it will save my
ALEXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:18 AM   #4
The_Gunslinger
Kamakasi

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 zx6r
'02 xr250r

but, i am almighty...

Soon I discovered that this rock thing was true, Jerry lee lewis was the devil, Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet; All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world...So there was only one thing that I could do/
ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
The_Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
The antagonizing(likely mispelled) comes from our community usually after we reference threads that are familiar to this group. We have had multiple threads on 'what is a squid' and 'curb monkeys' etc. But newer peeps coming in will likely not read these threads and see harsher comments level out to more subtle, understanding remarks.

So often times our comments can be a little harsh in their general nature to newer peeps. Valid point addressed, but the concern still remains for the individual safety of riders in the hobby we share even though it is their individual choice as to what they wear.

Prepare for the crash, not the ride. Gear up and ride safe peeps.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

dude you're totally being a squid in your avatar
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

eh I ride with holes in ,my jeans, THOSE are my favotite pants I am by no means a squid...

on the track I am fully geared, on the street I have helmet, jacket, gloves and boots.

ALL I can say is ride safe... geared or not. It is your life, you live it or you give it...
Old 02-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
v4lu3s

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

i ride on the street with boots. gloves, jacket, helmet and riding pants. It is VERY rare that I ride in regular jeans, and when I do I make sure they are intact.

I do not call people squids at all. If I see them in less than what I wear I call them idiots, fools, morons, ****tards, tardmuffins or whatever else comes to mind, though usually I just feel sorry for them since going down is not something you can plan on....
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
Sassy Chassis
Not a value-added poster

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 821

We're supposed to wear pants? Man...I've been doing this all wrong...
Old 02-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #10
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Most of us on here are over 18 and by definition are adults. If we wanna ride nekkid, then we can.
We all know that jeans offer almost no protection at all, but a little is better than none.
On the other hand, if you choose to ride in shorts or wear jeans with holes in them, you gotta expect to have people point out that it isn't safe. They do that not because they think they are smarter/better/more perfect, but because they are concerned for your safety/the appearance of the sport.

The point I'm trying to make is, wear what you want, choose wisely, at the same time if you are gonna comment on what someone else chooses, have some respect, they are a grownup too.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
ThomasNinja650
SSG Coleman

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650-R

Defination of a SQUID

Squid is a slang term used to describe an irresponsible motorcyclist. The term is common among motorcyclists in North America.

The term is generally used to describe a motorcyclist who rides aggressively, erratically or beyond their capabilities. Squids are perceived as overconfident and often ride without appropriate safety equipment, such as a helmet, gloves, leather jacket, riding pants, or boots.

The origin of the term squid is ambiguous. It is commonly said to be a contraction of squirrely and kid, or less commonly, squished and kid. a female rider who exhibits these characteristics is typically called a squirrel, for squirrely girl.

Squid is also described occasionally as an acronym, although these are likely backronyms.

o "Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous"
o "Stupidly Quick, Underdressed and Imminently Dead"
o "Super Quick Until I Die"
o "Speeding Quickly Until I Die"

Another possibility is that the term originally referred to newly-inducted sailors based in San Diego in the 1960s, who sometimes used inexpensive two-stroke motorcycles for transportation. The term could have originally referred to these unprotected, inexperienced "marine life" moving through traffic rapidly and leaving a trail of black "ink" (the characteristic dark colored two-stroke exhaust) behind. Squid was also a more general derogatory term for sailors of this time.

Motorcyclists will often note similarities between how a squid rides and the manner in which a squid swims. Squids may appear unable to change direction while swimming without first coming to a near stop, but then accelerate very rapidly. Beginning motorcyclists may often experience difficulty negotiating turns at normal rates of speed, but have a tendency to ride very fast on straight sections of road.

Actions that may cause a motorcyclist to be identified as a squid are those that are seen as reckless or excessive, such as speeding or performing wheelies or stoppies, especially in the midst of other traffic. A rider may also be labeled a squid by their lack of appropriate attire, such as by riding while wearing shorts, ball caps, flip flops, and so-called wifebeater shirts, or no shirt at all. The wearing of tank tops by "squids" was satirized by Ian Johnston who wrote an article that was widely distributed on the internet claiming that a Corona tank top was safer than wearing motorcycle racing leathers.

Because a squid eschews all or many of the social and legal norms of riding behavior, they are usually looked upon with derision by experienced motorcyclists, who may also refer to them as "organ donors", "zip-splats", "skin crayons", or "soon-to-be ex-motorcyclists".

It is important to note that a lack of safety equipment is not normative of squidly behavior. Many squids wear safety equipment, although this is often alleged to be for aesthetic purposes. The term is most often applied as an insult to a rider's behavior or skill.

Last edited by ThomasNinja650; 02-22-2009 at 10:08 AM.
ThomasNinja650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #12
SexualChocolate
JapLac on 22s

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
998CCs of KING KONG...

Send a message via AIM to SexualChocolate
I'm glad everyone is keeping it civil.

Like any other word, it only becomes hurtful if the person it was hurled towards deems it as such.

SexualChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #13
S.D.W.
...Ready

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Personally, I feel naked if I dont ride with full gear on. I hate the way it feels to ride without a jacket, even if its scorching hot outside. You never know whats going to happen once you throw that leg over your bike. End of story.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #14
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Ya know....I never flame anyone for riding at insane speeds, weaving in and out of traffic, riding wheelies, draggin knee on back roads, etc etc etc.

But lemme catch you doing that, with little or no gear, and you gets flamed. Maybe not flamed, but I get to at least call you a dumbass. At least, right?

I got no problem with a dude rolling 65mph in helmet only. I dont do it, but to each thier own. But hauling underprotected is just plain ignorant.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #15
Gimpin2Fold
Wake up already

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
so what? i can think of worse things to be called
i do not consider myself to be a squid, but i never wear motorcycling pants. i dont even have them. i have some a* knee/shin guards that i wear for anything more than my dull commute. i'll likely never need a leather track suit.
i see people all the time with no gear at all on, but so what? it does no good to call them squids. if they want to wind up as a glistening streak on the pavement, instead of bumped up and dizzy, thats their call.
i have co workers who shun the need of anything beyond the wrap around oakleys. jeebus. wtf ever.

if i had a point, i dont remember what it was.
im going to bed. take it easy, squid.

im not really sure here..... but i think you agreed with me
Gimpin2Fold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #16
dudewhrsmybike

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2017 Kawasaki Z125

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Bahaha, I saw Bumblebee squidding in Pearland a while back! But, I didn't say anything Like said, most of us are adults and we can do as we please.

BTW didn't Curt call out homegirl for the jeans? Yet he rides, or used to ride his chopper squidded out. . . .
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:54 PM   #17
iCole
The iPhone guy

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
GSX-R 250

It may be an insult, though other riders are looking out for you.. I hate seeing friends die each week..
iCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:12 PM   #18
spring r1

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
07 r1
04gsxr600 track
ttr90

to each there on.....but when i went down on 3090 gear was the difference of picking up my bike and countinued the ride.....if i hadnt of had gear i would have most definitly been fuked up......i swear by full gear but if someone doesnt thats there choice.....some things have to be learn't the hard way
spring r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #19
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Meh. I always wear my gear, head to toe. We are all adults and ride as you wish. BUT, if you go down, and are covered in rash or worse cuz you weren't wearing your gear, don't expect me to give you any sympathy. That is your own fault.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #20
Old School RR

Bike(s):
1999 Honda 900RR....sold
2003 Z1000...currently on the disabled list

Send a message via Yahoo to Old School RR
Natural order of the world. It will always happen. Noobs will try to look cool and eventually get better or hurt themselves at the least..and there will always be the " I told you so" types.

Advertisement