MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
CUSTOM ZX-14

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
ZX-14

Question need some help!!!!

ok here is the problem I needed a new set of tires so i found a good deal on some while I was out of town. when I got back to houston I had them out on I pay I leave I noticed something wasnt right A little shakeing. So I look at the rims no weight on the back on and the is two small dings on the front rim on the lip. so I take it back thay said they would balance them again. when i picked up my bike they told me my front rim was bent....How did it get bent? they said maybe a pot hole or something...It was fine when i took it up there befor thay put the new tires on....maybe it was bent by the tire machine? what do yall think?
CUSTOM ZX-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
Gixxer Geezer
All day long I'm shufflin

Bike(s):
06 honda vtx 1300
06 Busa limited. sold
2 Gixxer 600. sold
85 Honda Hurricane. sold
56 Triumph, 64 BSA, Thunderbolt, 66 BSA Lightning Bolt, 64 Honda Scrambler. all sold

depends on the machine.. it probably was. or the tires are really bad... happens sometimes.

What part of "I Don't Care", Don't you Understand?
Gixxer Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
klassik

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
rnz450

prolly bent. what kinda shop did you take it too? depends on the tire machine.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
ForgottnSoul
MotoMilitia Choosen 9

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2008 Special Edition ZX-14

Member Garage

I would say yes it was a either the tired machine or someone else had something to do with it in there. But you have to make sure with wasnt "shaking" before you went in.
ForgottnSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
624chic

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
barbie 4 wheeler

where did you take it to? some places make notes of the condition of the rims and make you sign when you leave them, so this incident don't happen. seen it happened before with the tire machines where i used to work.
624chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
CUSTOM ZX-14

Bike(s):
ZX-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandito View Post
prolly bent. what kinda shop did you take it too? depends on the tire machine.
It was a bike shop/dealer in highlands good shop never had any probs from them I have been taking my bikes up there for a few years now
Old 01-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
CUSTOM ZX-14

Bike(s):
ZX-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgottnSoul View Post
I would say yes it was a either the tired machine or someone else had something to do with it in there. But you have to make sure with wasnt "shaking" before you went in.
ya it wasnt shaking befor that or I would have had it checked out and wouldnt have been running it
Old 01-10-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
JP171

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

highlands kawasuki???? yea it figures

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #9
CUSTOM ZX-14

Bike(s):
ZX-14

it not the highlands kawasuki... I wont go there...its the outher one I dont want to put names cuz I have never really had any probs for them
Old 01-11-2009, 12:05 AM   #10
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

... ive seen that happen when people take it to the little tire shop locally and they use a car tire changer on it. if it isnt set right it will taco em all day. but i dont know now. maybe they did maybe they didnt. from what you are sayin it sure sounds like they did it.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:27 AM   #11
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

Maybe take it somewhere else and get a second opinion to see if the rim is really bent. Their balance machine may need to be recalibrated? I had that problem with cycle gear. Their machine was off and my front wheel was hopping all over the place. Took it to Texas Yamaha and they rebalanced it.

Also, had a recall on the Pilot Power 2Ct fronts a while back. Did you get one of the old recall tires? I had one and it made my front end hop, even though the machine showed the wheel balance. The problem is, the shops use the low speed machines and I don't think it picks up some of the hopping that occurs at pretty high speeds.

Cycle Gear gouged my rear rim in 2 places. They paid for the damages, though. Now they fill out a sheet that depicts all of the existing damage before they work on your wheel.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:10 AM   #12
1340HIGH
1340HIGH

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Harley FXDC
420 Honda Rancher ATV

Probly not going to be able to add much.

I agree take the bike to another shop and see what they say.

I assume you went with a main stream name brand tire rated to the bikes capabilities.

I did hit one of those lane divider turtles "City " I think in Dallas you know the yellow ones about 3" high 6" round hit it pretty hard and it bent the outside diameter of the rim, but it did not affect the balance
(Bike was a 1993 Suzuki GS 1100) So if you hit something similar like a curb.
maybe thats it. Note this was a pushing out of the rim edge at the rim to tire interface. Not a rim bent off center with axis of rotation, which I would be very bad.

I have found scrathes and very small nicks at the O.D. of rims after tire replacements. Figure its typical. But I always check for rim damage and tire rotation direction before I pay for the service. So far no problems.

Getting a Wheel back with no weights seems unlikley it would be correct especially if it vibrates, so I would start thinking the shop is not up to par.
But that was the rear tire , seems it is usually the front that is more suseptable to out of balance vibrations.

I think you said this was a ZX 1400, It does not take much to be off balance if you are talking 130mph Plus. You diffenately want to get it right.

Good Luck.
1340HIGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #13
CUSTOM ZX-14

Bike(s):
ZX-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richards View Post
Maybe take it somewhere else and get a second opinion to see if the rim is really bent. Their balance machine may need to be recalibrated? I had that problem with cycle gear. Their machine was off and my front wheel was hopping all over the place. Took it to Texas Yamaha and they rebalanced it.

Also, had a recall on the Pilot Power 2Ct fronts a while back. Did you get one of the old recall tires? I had one and it made my front end hop, even though the machine showed the wheel balance. The problem is, the shops use the low speed machines and I don't think it picks up some of the hopping that occurs at pretty high speeds.

Cycle Gear gouged my rear rim in 2 places. They paid for the damages, though. Now they fill out a sheet that depicts all of the existing damage before they work on your wheel.

the tires are r005
Old 01-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #14
Gixxer Geezer
All day long I'm shufflin

Bike(s):
06 honda vtx 1300
06 Busa limited. sold
2 Gixxer 600. sold
85 Honda Hurricane. sold
56 Triumph, 64 BSA, Thunderbolt, 66 BSA Lightning Bolt, 64 Honda Scrambler. all sold

cycle gear put 118 lbs of air in my rear tire.. i took it out of the truck and bounced it on the ground and the thing almost bounced into the neighbors yard...

What part of "I Don't Care", Don't you Understand?
Gixxer Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #15
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
I'd say very unlikely to bend a rim even w car machine. Usually the duckbills are plastic and you're not talking about alot of force to take a tire out of the drop center.

If the two dents are where the rim lip are pushed in, likely a side mounted bead breaker contacted it. Unless they held it there against the rim, its likely not going to bend it.

Rear tires can have little to no weight on them; balance issues will be felt over 120 in most cases. And the vibration wont be too bad. Front however, will effect alot.

Maybe the machine didn't bend it, doesn't mean the tech didn't do it when he was test driving it. Be firm when you speak with them.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:22 PM   #16
CUSTOM ZX-14

Bike(s):
ZX-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
I'd say very unlikely to bend a rim even w car machine. Usually the duckbills are plastic and you're not talking about alot of force to take a tire out of the drop center.

If the two dents are where the rim lip are pushed in, likely a side mounted bead breaker contacted it. Unless they held it there against the rim, its likely not going to bend it.

Rear tires can have little to no weight on them; balance issues will be felt over 120 in most cases. And the vibration wont be too bad. Front however, will effect alot.

Maybe the machine didn't bend it, doesn't mean the tech didn't do it when he was test driving it. Be firm when you speak with them.
so they test ride them when they put new tires on the bike?
Old 01-11-2009, 07:37 PM   #17
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
most dealers do, yes. almost any work. they should ride it and make sure it is functional before putting an unsafe situation in the customer's hands incase they missing something.

How did the tires look? Were they new, new... even in the center when you got the bike back?
Old 01-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #18
CUSTOM ZX-14

Bike(s):
ZX-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
most dealers do, yes. almost any work. they should ride it and make sure it is functional before putting an unsafe situation in the customer's hands incase they missing something.

How did the tires look? Were they new, new... even in the center when you got the bike back?
yes the tires where new and now that i think about it they couldnt have rode it cuz there was no dirt on...it was still all shinny...
Old 01-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #19
hughes40
Staatsfeind Nr. 1

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R6
2003 Sv650
2003 CBR 600rr
2003 Katana -pos
Mongoose Circa 87

Send a message via MSN to hughes40 Send a message via Yahoo to hughes40 Send a message via Skype™ to hughes40
holly chit. what a coincidence.
i went to Motorcycle Exchange on Durham for tires.
he test drove my bike too, i did not like that at all. the owner
was like, 1st 2nd gear is rough, ??? wasn't rough to me. sure enough.
on the way home, bike was groggy. fking a$$hole$ at repair shops.
and $50 for the mount. it's highway robbery.

Advertisement