MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Safety Corner Main
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
Unleaded_Buell
Long Stroke; Low RPM

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Buell XB9

Member Garage

Lightbulb Aggressive Riding Positive Feedback Loop

So this guy in a white Toyota, we'll call him DB, did 50 down the center lane at 528 and 518 last night. He missed me and the 2 cars in front of me by a blonde c#nthair (slightly more than a red but much less than a brunette) as we were trying to get into the turn lane.

I was , which can make me stupid, so I confronted DB and explained in so many words why I was dissapointed in the poor choice he had made. This was a pointless and stupid thing for me to do and I deserved to be shot if DB had been on his game.

DB explained to me that he wouldn't have had to cut us off if I hadn't passed him doing 60 on 528. I laughed, he yelled. DB decided to follow me and we had a very nice ride through Friendswood before he gave up and went home .

DB had a point, though. My aggressive riding (I had to pass a cruiser at Bay Area) irritated the other drivers and they, in turn, drove aggressively. I put myself, the cruiser , the other left-turners and DB at risk.

We take for granted that a bike can get around a little better than a cage and that there are certain inherent dangers in the tradeoff. We need to be aware of the resentment and added danger we create when we take advantage. This is a valid argument against lane splitting (guilty) and driving on the shoulder (guilty) and squidtastic behavior (can't prove it). Inherently dangerous or not, they create a negative vibe that makes guys like Douche Bag feel they have to get even.

Timidi mater non flet.
Unleaded_Buell is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bautista says Marquez is too aggressive NewsBot Racing News 0 04-01-2015 07:10 AM
9 people test positive for West Nile virus; 1 mosquito tests positive for Chikungunya NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 08-06-2014 10:10 PM
Advice riding 59 between loop and Sugar Land lucydad Safety Corner Main 43 08-05-2012 03:16 PM
Out riding 610 SW Loop dabus63 Events, Meets and Rides 9 03-13-2012 11:04 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-21-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
Jetkillr
Trackdays:7 Crashes:3

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2001 R6 SOLD

Member Garage

good point
Jetkillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:03 AM   #3
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

FCK THAT! You passed the guy goin 60 on 528....speed limit is 45 but I've only ever seen that observed when a cop is around. DB was in the wrong and decided to be stupid and tried to blame you, but the worst part is you fell for it.

Please tell me how passing someone in any way warrants him almost killing you? Glad DB didn't snap and take you out after the speech, but it's silly to me that you feel responsible for someone else being an idiot....

Edit: would he have tried to take out a civic from one of the local kids flying by him on 528??
Old 11-21-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
Unleaded_Buell
Long Stroke; Low RPM

Bike(s):
2008 Buell XB9

Member Garage

I'm not responsible for DB's behavior, just mine. I wasn't thinking about how others would react to my riding. If I was in the wrong I wouldn't have dubbed him Douche Bag, believe me.

Timidi mater non flet.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
ForgottnSoul
MotoMilitia Choosen 9

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2008 Special Edition ZX-14

Member Garage

Oh this is all BS.......... does this DB have no spine and brain of his own? He bases his lack of intell on others bad decisions?? Soooo many ppl out there need to own up to their own mistakes and choices and not blame it on a reaction to others.

**Sorry for the rant...... I just woke up
ForgottnSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

Gotcha
Old 11-21-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
Redux

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
grasshopper

So basically a cager got upset at the fact that a motorcycle is smaller, faster, and corners better than a car?

Same as opening doors when someone is lanesplittig.
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:22 AM   #8
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded_Buell View Post
So this guy in a white Toyota, we'll call him DB, did 50 down the center lane at 528 and 518 last night. He missed me and the 2 cars in front of me by a blonde c#nthair (slightly more than a red but much less than a brunette) as we were trying to get into the turn lane.

I was , which can make me stupid, so I confronted DB and explained in so many words why I was dissapointed in the poor choice he had made. This was a pointless and stupid thing for me to do and I deserved to be shot if DB had been on his game.

DB explained to me that he wouldn't have had to cut us off if I hadn't passed him doing 60 on 528. I laughed, he yelled. DB decided to follow me and we had a very nice ride through Friendswood before he gave up and went home .

DB had a point, though. My aggressive riding (I had to pass a cruiser at Bay Area) irritated the other drivers and they, in turn, drove aggressively. I put myself, the cruiser , the other left-turners and DB at risk.

We take for granted that a bike can get around a little better than a cage and that there are certain inherent dangers in the tradeoff. We need to be aware of the resentment and added danger we create when we take advantage. This is a valid argument against lane splitting (guilty) and driving on the shoulder (guilty) and squidtastic behavior (can't prove it). Inherently dangerous or not, they create a negative vibe that makes guys like Douche Bag feel they have to get even.
Next time you decide to have a "conversation" with somebody in a cage, before saying a word, snap a pic of their license plate with your phone camera.

-Curt
Old 11-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #9
Yammy
The Bumble-bee

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2004 R6
Santa Cruz Chameleon

Send a message via AIM to Yammy Send a message via Yahoo to Yammy
Whats irritating about situations like this and guys like DB is that they get off when we ride our bikes to our advantage, and whether its because they are jealous of some of the things bikes are able to do because of size, speed and agility, I dont know, but for them to suddenly start driving and treating a motorcyclist as if he was in a cage is just lack of respect for life. Bikers can easily be killed by this kind of asshattery and its so irritating that people will still do that kind of .
Yammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
It all boils down to giving people the same respect you would like them to give you.
I don't tailgate, buzz people, or cut them off, because I don't like them doing it to me.

You can bet your I'm gonna return the favor 3 fold if someone pulls that on me first.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #11
Redux

Bike(s):
grasshopper

The way I see it, with the amount of people that try to kill us daily for no ****ing reason, I don't owe them any respect.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:51 AM   #12
Unleaded_Buell
Long Stroke; Low RPM

Bike(s):
2008 Buell XB9

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
The way I see it, with the amount of people that try to kill us daily for no ****ing reason, I don't owe them any respect.
That's getting to my point, Redux. I don't particulary feel like I owe them any respect either, but I'm learning that it's in my own self interest in certain situations to at least be aware of how they'll react. It's like dealing with a judge, he didn't do anything to deserve all the starfish munching, but he doesn't have anything to lose either.

p.s. The guy in the white Toyota is a Douche Bag.

Timidi mater non flet.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:03 AM   #13
Redux

Bike(s):
grasshopper

Gotcha. Yes whenever I see an aggressive driver, its always a good bet to let him pass or get as far away as possible.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:41 PM   #14
Jetkillr
Trackdays:7 Crashes:3

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2001 R6 SOLD

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
Gotcha. Yes whenever I see an aggressive driver, its always a good bet to let him pass or get as far away as possible.
i think we can all agree on that
Jetkillr is offline   Reply With Quote