MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2008, 10:22 AM   #41
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
He's on a Yamaha...

ofcourse it'll be beautiful ...
and yet your still on a craposaki
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2015 Yamaha R1 Superbike | FIRST LOOK NewsBot Industry News 0 12-06-2014 12:10 AM
Ben Spies Leaving Yamaha Texmex1 Taking it to the Track 34 07-24-2012 02:43 PM
Ben Spies & his 2012 YZF-R1 dow jones General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 10-19-2011 10:34 AM
Ben Spies rides really good - i forgot to put spoiler CarbonJames Taking it to the Track 26 06-23-2010 12:27 PM
Ben Spies and Tom Sykes test the 2009 Yamaha R1 Mr Richards Taking it to the Track 21 01-06-2009 05:40 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2008, 10:41 AM   #42
Turnerscasa
Box it, or bin it!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2008 CBR1000RR
2007 GSXR750

Lap Times on the R1. This is so fun, I dont see how he cares about the money that much. Cant get higher than that..you just cant?

Lap times were as follows:

Troy Bayliss 1:43.7 (Race Winner Fast Lap)

Nori Haga 1:43.9 (2nd place fast lap)

Ben Spies 1:44.1 (Test Lap 11/04/2008)
Turnerscasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:51 PM   #43
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
I beg to differ,

full story
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...ed-with-b.html

2009 is looking good
Read all of the comments at the bottom of the page you linked to. They will explain it to you. It is more of a long bang, not a big bang type engine. I have read a lot about this new engine and big bang engines.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #44
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Personally, I don't think that Ben is going to do as good as everyone thinks. Not because of a lack of skill, but simply because most of the WSBK paddock has seen these tracks many times!

Portimao is the only one they haven't been to, so it's a level playing field. But since he's already behind the curve almost all of the tracks WSBK races at, he's going to have trouble dropping the last few vital tenths.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but when we get to the tracks he's never been at I seen him finishing those races in positions like 4-8... not 1-3 like he will at Miller, Portimao, Donnington and maybe Philip Island. (Places he's raced at before)
Old 11-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #45
Grinchy

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richards View Post
Read all of the comments at the bottom of the page you linked to. They will explain it to you. It is more of a long bang, not a big bang type engine. I have read a lot about this new engine and big bang engines.
Nope, it may not fit the Honda V4 500 two stroke difinition as used in the Doohan era until he junked it for the "screamer" but that's a big bang motor right there
Old 11-08-2008, 06:28 PM   #46
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

http://www.worldsbk.com/pubb_EN/news_ext.php?id=2690#

She looks good in race trim....

Yamaha's new signings Ben Spies and Tom Sykes took part in their first test session to prepare for the 2009 season, at the Portimao circuit on Tuesday and Wednesday this week. Each rider set fast laps on their Yamaha YZF-R1 race bikes, in both 2008 and 2009 spec.

The unique R1 ‘crossplane' crankshaft engine and uneven firing order have improved the delivery of torque and increased available traction, and thus Ben Spies went within two tenths of the race lap record. December tests in South Africa will be the next chance for the new pairing to shine on the new machine, which features a very distinctive exhaust note.

So far the team's minor modifications to the standard bike include a modified camshaft, an enlarged radiator to dissipate more heat faster and the addition of an oil cooler. The new bike has no rear sub-frame but incorporates a strengthened frame. The exhaust is unique, and was developed in partnership with Akrapovic. The standard fuel tank has also been replaced with an aluminium tank, custom fabricated to increased capacity. The bike features the latest Magneti Marelli electronic systems. The new swing arm has also been developed purely for the WSB race bike, based on knowledge taken from the recently completed 2008 racing season.

After setting a best of 1'43.9 Ben Spies said, "The whole Superbike weekend has been great for me. Having my own crew chief here from the US joining the team is good, he really understands me and it's great to see him working well with the Yamaha Motor Italia Technical Chief Silvano Galbusera. Getting out on Nori's bike we made a couple of changes and got going, it answered a lot of questions for me on the different tyre manufacturer and riding new circuits".

Tom Sykes, who finally posted a 1'44.5 said "For me it's been a very good test. Having done two days I now feel fully part of the team. It was quite difficult arriving on Tuesday morning for the first day of the test, facing a new bike, a new circuit, and a new team. It was important to me to get it right from the start. We are developing well together and we have a good understanding. I was very happy with my time on the 2008 bike, and happy with a good race pace. For the 2009 bike, considering it's at a very early stage of development, I think it's a fantastic package. The feeling coming out of the corner is unbelievably smooth, the power is so controllable; the whole bike remains incredibly stable".

Advertisement