MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #1
Busa_Bullet
boats n' motohoes

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2004 Hayabusa

sprocket/chain help

Ive got an 04 busa and my bike guy says my chain is beyond saving. So that turns into me looking for a new chain and sprockets. I bought the bike with a 9'' stretch on it and 1 tooth less sprocket up front. So heres my question(s). If i get a new chain is it really important to get new sprockets also? Also, who makes good sprockets/chains? Lastly, the guy at the bike shop said if im not gunna be trying to race everybody who pulls up to me (which i dont) then i shouldent worry about getting another 1 tooth less sprocket up front. to just go back to stock and it should save me some gas and the bike has plenty of power to keep me satisfied, only thing is, thats how im used to riding that bike, and i like it, does anybody think it will change enough for me to notice and be displeased? oh and if anybody has the stock number of teeth for the front and rear sprockets that would be cool too. Thanks in advance!!
Busa_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Really need sprocket n chain help Crash Jackson Performance and Modifications 28 04-02-2012 11:47 AM
Chain and sprocket Disbtam How To's and Q & A's 5 08-12-2011 01:01 PM
Chain and Sprocket Help ! crazivi3tdude General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 07-08-2009 01:03 PM
Chain and Sprocket Fatpooh2 General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 06-08-2009 03:23 PM
CHAIN AND SPROCKET H2447INTX Performance and Modifications 8 08-29-2008 07:52 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #2
Busa_Bullet
boats n' motohoes

Bike(s):
2004 Hayabusa

ok i got the stock teeth numbers... correct me if im wrong but 17 front 40 rear. but let me add this, ive seen some people offer 530 conversion or 520... what is that?
Old 09-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
you will notice a significant difference going back to the stock front sprocket if you lost a tooth. As for gas mileage, it would drop your rpms so yes you would gain a little on the freeways.

If the chain is that damaged, and the teeth on the sprocket are rounded out, yes its time for sprockets too. Dont go with the lighter chain. you will eat it like lunch. Stay w the stronger one.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
Busa_Bullet
boats n' motohoes

Bike(s):
2004 Hayabusa

well the chain was neglected of lube before i got it, and it kinks up which my bike guy said its rust forming in between causing it to stick. any sugestions on brand names of good sprockets and chains.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Cool

Here is every thing you ever wanted to know about chain.
http://www.drivesystemsusa.com/

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
I got mine from Motorcycles Unlimited, sprockets and chain. Not sure what brand it was but has plenty of power for the abuse I put it through. I'd be lying if I guessed the brand. Ask Patrick 281 444 0545
Old 09-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

AFAM, Regina, D.I.D., Vortex

Busa is 17/40 stock

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #8
H2447INTX
H2447INTX-he is legendary

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2011 kingquad 750axi
08 H.D.Softail Deluxe

Member Garage

i think the busa is a stock 525 or 530 chain and i would stay with that , what that is is the chain size, a littel thicker, compaired to a 520 witch is thiner, lighter weaght ex,

but the big bikes lots of power should stay north of the 525, i have been told not to go with vortex couse the wear out fast on biger bikes, check the link,

they say you will never have to buy new sprocket again, garenteed for life ! titaneum might run you upwards of 500 bucks but hey if you never have to buyanother one !

http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/titanium_chain.html
Old 09-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #9
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Bullet View Post
Lastly, the guy at the bike shop said if im not [B]gunna be trying to race everybody who pulls up to me [/B](which i dont) then i shouldent worry about getting another 1 tooth less sprocket up front.
Liar Ride it like you stole it man Good Luck Busa Bro

Sorry for the thread jack

what kind of seat do you have? I saw you bike accross the street and the seat was looking wild
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:20 PM   #10
Busa_Bullet
boats n' motohoes

Bike(s):
2004 Hayabusa

across the street from where?? its my old poodle... her name was jaxie... nah im just kiddin!! its shaved out 3inches and its like soft carpet kinda, not too sure exactly what type of material it is though. comfy... for the most part. sooo i let my imagination get to me and was thinkin the chain will last me till winter and i could get a 240 chrome swingarm and maybe an air ride suspension... i wont be too sad if the bike is down durring the winter time. i dunno just an idea.

Advertisement