MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
rc51eviltwin

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

endurance team help

well looks like me and a couple of friends are gonna start an endurance team next year.however i for one never have been on one and neither have they,can you guys give us some pointers.i mean as far as how do you handdle costs after crashes and such.also what kind of luck have you had with your particular brand/size of bike.we're planning to run an SV however i hear many folks say they blowup too often
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Endurance Team GPracer33 Taking it to the Track 26 01-18-2012 10:43 AM
Endurance Bike needs help.... SO does the team J lo Taking it to the Track 42 02-21-2008 08:59 AM
2008 CMRA Endurance Team Swift E Taking it to the Track 71 06-06-2007 12:31 PM
Looking for a Team for 5 hr Endurance @ Hallett Swift E Taking it to the Track 48 05-31-2007 10:17 AM
looking to join endurance team Buck Nasty Taking it to the Track 2 05-11-2007 10:49 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

SV's "blow up" when you build the engine up- but not a whole lot of the built ones too, just the ones that are built to the edge. Leave 'em stock and they'll last forever as long as you don't over-rev 'em and do a bunch of high wheelies.

I've been endurance racing SV's for quite a while, I'll be happy to help you out with equipment lists and such. Diggler (SN on here) and I used to race together, he's got a ton of information too.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

our endu. team split all cost' until we had a crash, fortunately, we race a mini motard which crashes very well. I would suggest pooling your money together to by spares for such cases. if you have spares and crashes, you have replacement parts on hand for quick fixes. i suggest buying a lot of spares, in the case of a bad crash, you guys together need to figure that out on your own, whatever the majority vote says.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJames View Post
our endu. team split all cost' until we had a crash, fortunately, we race a mini motard which crashes very well. I would suggest pooling your money together to by spares for such cases. if you have spares and crashes, you have replacement parts on hand for quick fixes. i suggest buying a lot of spares, in the case of a bad crash, you guys together need to figure that out on your own, whatever the majority vote says.
Good point, guess I should have mentioned that too (how we split costs).

We have one "owner" that owns the bike and spares. If someone crashes, they pay 100% of the repair. We use spares at the track and not for crash replacement after the race- spares are to get us back on the track after a crash during a race. Remember the key word "endurance".

Engine issues (we have a built engine) are split by the team. We have rider support from some shops for dyno-tuning and engine building that keep the costs lower.

We split entry fees and consumables (like oil changes, fuel, tires, etc). The cool thing is that the SV only uses one set of tires, no matter the race (as long as you're on Bridgestones that is...). We've even run the 8 hour (and won) on one set of tires, and did the track day that came up next on them.

Some teams do a "buy in" where each member pays their share of the cost of the bike and spares, then splits all the other costs of consumables and entry fees.

Some teams have an owner that owns the bike, pays for consumables, and absorbs all the costs associated with them, but also keeps all of the contingency and winnings (this works for the teams that are consistent winners). In the other above scenarios, the team will also share with winnings and contingency. I've been on teams like that and only had to show up and ride. It's pretty cool with that scenario, makes you feel like a pro!

We've rolled contingency and winnings over to the next race to pay for the consumables and entry fees before too.

Still others have agreements that the team shares a percentage of the cost of repairs for crashes/ engine issues to like %50 share the first crash, and the percentage goes up from there.

The different ways to run a team are almost limitless. I believe the best way is to have one owner, and have everyone else share expenses for entry fees and consumables/ engine issues and have the crasher pay all repair costs. That way, nobody can whine about when the bike is sold and for how much, and nobody tries to claim a piece of the pie either.

Last edited by tomLSTD; 09-08-2008 at 10:46 AM.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #5
diggler

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

You can't race endurance until you have cleared your Prov Nov requirements. Make sure everyone on the team has cleared their requirements.

I also have a cost spreadsheet breakdown if you want it.
diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Every bike will have a different amount to it, as in what it'll take to run it per endurance hour.

Once you come up with a number - have you team members agree to it.

Your biggest costs will be tires, then GAS. SV650 will be easy on both.

As far as crashing goes, have the person riding at the time of crash pay $500, rest of the team splits it among them. That ways (most crashes) the person at fault will be paying the most - which makes sense. But not enough to where it'll break his bank.

If that does NOT set well with your team, you can go with the % rule.
1st crash - 25% crashee, team 75%.
2nd crash - 50% crashee, team 50%.
3rd crash - 75% crashee, team 25%.

Rest of the season if the same person crashes - he/she pays in full.

The above is obviously applying to the same person crashing, somebody will have to keep track of who crashed how much - renew/refresh the count every season.

The 1st method (straight $500) will probably work better IMO.

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
rc51eviltwin

excellent guys,thats what i needed.
i was debating gsxr600 or sv but i dont think the 600 will go 4 hours on one set of tires......maybe a well tuned 2nd gen SV is in the future.(anyone have a cheap one)
about the prov-nov,i/we planned on taking the class at ECR race,cornerworking the two days and doing the first sprints next season............
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #8
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51eviltwin View Post
i was debating gsxr600 or sv but i dont think the 600 will go 4 hours on one set of tires......maybe a well tuned 2nd gen SV is in the future.(anyone have a cheap one)
about the prov-nov,i/we planned on taking the class at ECR race,cornerworking the two days and doing the first sprints next season............
The GSXR600 will easily go on 4 hours on a set of tires...specially starting out. Yea when you guys start hauling it and come close to expert lap times, then maybe - just maybe.

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #9
Gabe

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
z50, ZX6R, Bianchi

600s can and do go 6hrs on a set of tires.
-Gabe
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:49 PM   #10
diggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
600s can and do go 6hrs on a set of tires.
-Gabe
Thats cause you ride like a wuss
Old 09-08-2008, 08:15 PM   #11
diggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51eviltwin View Post
I would recommend getting your sprint races out of the way this season that way you will obtain points throughout the season.

Trivial maybe, but could be the difference between a top finish in class to have those points for every race.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #12
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggler View Post
I would recommend getting your sprint races out of the way this season that way you will obtain points throughout the season.

Trivial maybe, but could be the difference between a top finish in class to have those points for every race.

Good advise there
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #13
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

I'd recommend an SV for a first race bike for a number of reasons: reliability, inexpensive to race, easy to ride, crashes well.
I've got 2 for sale; a full house former F2 championship winner and a well set up stock engined one.

As far as endurance advice, make sure your teammates are commited.
One of the best ways to do that is have everyone own a piece of the bike, that way they have a vested interest in it.

I've owned / run / raced on multiple successful (and not so successful) endurance teams.
Swing by if you get time and I'd be happy to share some insight with you.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com

Last edited by Patrick; 09-08-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement