MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Dang, what a great weekend!

Faaack! What an awesome weekend! Got a great surprise when Alrova was able to make it out- truly fantastic to see you dooood

As usual, Wade, Jeff, and The Macman put on a fantastic event at TWS (Texas World Speedway). Gotta tip the hat to TWS (Texas World Speedway) management and owners too; they really made some nice improvements to the facilities. Word is that they're closing the track after the season's over to repave much of the track, supposed to take about 3 weeks down time to complete the project.

Weather could barely have been better! Sunday was even better than Saturday regarding the weather- cool temps and blue skies!

Par excellent work from Jerrel, Charles, Eric and especially Alberto for running operations on both days! Those guys are true professionals! Joneric even got thrown in the mix at the grid on Sunday to make things run smoooooooooth.

It was pretty choice to see all the cruisers out there on Saturday! There was some serious iron turning laps around the Superspeedway, and lots of dollars too! Unfortunately, there was one incident with one in that group- he was transported, but released shortly after with some possible fracture and stitches (I heard). Rider chose to ride with an open face helmet despite our warnings, I think he'll change his mind on helmet choice next time (I hope).

Sunday saw a huuuuuge classroom of noobs and even some not-so-noobs taking part in the instruction. It's funny how the events we host where it's not a pre-race track day how many noobs show up.... I haven't figured that out yet, but I like it!

I was happy to finally meet some folks on Saturday and Sunday, among others there was the Flyin' Duc and Scorpio, both sportin' some saucy italian art Nice rides guys!

Pauline James from www.urracingpix.com took some fantastic photos on both days! I got to see some of them from Saturday, and they were extremely nice! Check out her site for some more info on that and to put in your request! She even made me look like I was going fast!

Big thanks to all those that came out to corner work and did such a fine job Very smooth weekend!

Saw lots of folks get lots of seat time, a whole lot of folks leaving early "because I'm whooped"!

Grand Sport Speedway coming up on Monday the 26th (oh yeah, you're not working that day, you can come out ), can't wait to get back there again! There may be a surprise to be announced regarding this day too, keep your eyes peeled!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Shack in Cypress-Beware Dang Dang Burger J.J. McQuade Off Topic 9 11-22-2013 11:36 AM
Great Weekend Weather Ride TheVirus Events, Meets and Rides 10 09-30-2011 07:01 PM
Have a great weekend everyone txferrari Off Topic 0 05-27-2007 12:10 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R
2003 Honda VFR800 VTEC

Member Garage

Sweet! Id LOVE to see TWS (Texas World Speedway) repaved.... as long as its done right. CANT WAIT!

and I wonder what the supprise might be at GSS?
Old 05-11-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Sweet! Id LOVE to see TWS (Texas World Speedway) repaved.... as long as its done right. CANT WAIT!
It's not going to be the whole thing I'm sure, but I think I see the areas that they will repave. As far as doing it "right", I haven't seen these new owners do anything half-assed thus far, I'm sure the quality will be there fo sho.
Quote:
and I wonder what the supprise might be at GSS?
Not a done deal, but a definite possibility
Old 05-11-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R
2003 Honda VFR800 VTEC

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
It's not going to be the whole thing I'm sure, but I think I see the areas that they will repave. As far as doing it "right", I haven't seen these new owners do anything half-assed thus far, I'm sure the quality will be there fo sho.

Not a done deal, but a definite possibility
Id love to see turn 1-2, 4,6,10(horse shoe?), and the chicane onto the front strait repaved.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:18 PM   #5
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Id love to see turn 1-2, 4,6,10(horse shoe?), and the chicane onto the front strait repaved.
Normally I would disagree with you about turn 1/2, but something changed there this year. Every track day we've run there this year so far it seems that the pavement changed. I don't really think it needs a re-pave in 1/2, but I wouldn't complain.

4 is an awesome corner, and I hope they don't change that pavement! 6 can be slick on the wrong line and I could see it there. In 10? The "Horseshoe"! no! Don't repave that! It's all good there!

There are some real spots that actually need a repave IMHO, like 8/8a, the entrance to 12 (the chicane), and maybe the exit of the horseshoe.

We'll see I guess, it's still a long way away.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:24 PM   #6
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R
2003 Honda VFR800 VTEC

Member Garage

1 and 2 have paint lines and its has bumps, I have no problems with 4 but alot of people complain about it being slick, 6 has bumps, 10 has bad seams and cracks
Old 05-12-2008, 08:10 AM   #7
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Cool

As usual Tom, it was a great track day. for LSTD! The weather was super as was the people. You are right, I saw a lot of people that were new. But then there are always a few familiar faces. Again, great track day, thanks a million!

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:33 AM   #8
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

I think 10(if that is the turn after the horseshoe) I think it is slick there. I know from experience.

Oh and tom what kind of times were the cruisers getting? I can't believe that dude didn't want to wear a fullface. Those half shells are stupid. I would rather not wear a helmet to live if I was going to look like a elephant man.

Last edited by gixxerbill; 05-12-2008 at 08:36 AM.
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #9
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Thanks guys for an awesome day, Had a great time, its been 4 years since I,ve been on that track and only 1 time at msrh a couple weeks ago, so I was very rusty, but sure had fun, I appoligized to the guy on the 08 busa, he seemed to think I got a little close, I think I just starteled him, It was a clean pass with plenty of distance but think the speed difference was the issue, but he was cool, Looking forward to doing it again, nice to meet several new folks and see some of the old timers still around, And James on that 636 is Awesome, he was just playing with me and I couldent even keep up, I guess the changing of the guards has come, seems like I,m the one who got him into bike riding, good for him, he told me he had about 4000 track miles on that 636, thats awesome
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:56 AM   #10
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN'DUC View Post
Thanks guys for an awesome day, Had a great time, its been 4 years since I,ve been on that track and only 1 time at msrh a couple weeks ago, so I was very rusty, but sure had fun, I appoligized to the guy on the 08 busa, he seemed to think I got a little close, I think I just starteled him, It was a clean pass with plenty of distance but think the speed difference was the issue, but he was cool, Looking forward to doing it again, nice to meet several new folks and see some of the old timers still around, And James on that 636 is Awesome, he was just playing with me and I couldent even keep up, I guess the changing of the guards has come, seems like I,m the one who got him into bike riding, good for him, he told me he had about 4000 track miles on that 636, thats awesome
T6 had you fubarred a few times...but nice whoolies down the back straight

Good to see you at the track BIG guy
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:59 AM   #11
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
4 is an awesome corner, and I hope they don't change that pavement! 6 can be slick on the wrong line and I could see it there. In 10? The "Horseshoe"! no! Don't repave that! It's all good there!
+1...a few bumps in T6 that I could see, but those in A group who knew their lines seemed to miss those bumps for the most part. Saw one big guy on a ZX7 or ZX9 come out of T6, went WOT and spun up the rear...almost a highside, I'm sure he went back to check his drawers after that.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:06 AM   #12
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
Missing: Naked SV650, FZ1, Night Hawk
Best Upgrade:Sv650 Suspension full credit (Motorcycles Unlimited)

Member Garage

Excellent weekend indeed!

Weather was much better than predicted and stayed in the 80's both days!!!!

The CW's and grid crew did a great job keeping things moving smoothly the entire weekend.

Great to see all the familiar mafiosos out there. Alberto is looking super anxious to get back out and shred some tires!!!! He was man handling that pit bike like no tomorrow.

Jody took the 600 out and decided to break the chain on that hooker!!!!

The cruiser guys on saturday had a blast and at lunch kept asking about how much a track bike would cost... We got some more addicts for sure!

I'm worn the out and ready for a 2-3 day power nap

Thanks to all the staff and LSTD participants for making this awesome weekend of riding so enjoyable

I can't wait to be back at TWS (Texas World Speedway)!!!

Last edited by BigComfy; 05-12-2008 at 09:10 AM.
BigComfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:22 AM   #13
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
Oh and tom what kind of times were the cruisers getting?
Man, I have no idea. It was nowhere close to 2:00 though!

NJay1984 (I think I got your s/n right) was moving really well! Some of those guys cranked those big baggers over pretty well, I was impressed.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:25 AM   #14
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
very fun weekend. thanks Tom, Pam, Eric, BigComfy, James, Jared, Charles, Jody, Tom scorpio, LSTD staff, and everybody else that i had a good time with.

and about the repave......turn 8 and 8a and DEFINATELY turn 12 or 13 (first turn of the chicane)...that big ol' patch of asphalt/sealer looks scary....i caught a slip through there and almost lost it.

other than those turns.....taking the right line or adjusting your line around the bumps and slick spots is the best fix.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:26 AM   #15
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Man, I have no idea. It was nowhere close to 2:00 though!

NJay1984 (I think I got your s/n right) was moving really well! Some of those guys cranked those big baggers over pretty well, I was impressed.
and from what i hear from the cornerworkers.....they had their radios cranked up as well going around the track

where u at gixxerbill? those guys would've gave you some competition on your wing.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:29 AM   #16
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
and from what i hear from the cornerworkers.....they had their radios cranked up as well going around the track

where u at gixxerbill? those guys would've gave you some competition on your wing.
Man that was awesome Also in grid out while getting to ge to the track, they we jaming lol.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #17
SVmike
nuthin'

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
just a mtn bike now...

Send a message via AIM to SVmike
best 1.5 trackdays i've ever had! Gotta love the LSTD crew and TWS (Texas World Speedway) fo sho.
Turns 8-9 would be my choice for repaving. I never feel comfortable going through that section.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:50 AM   #18
FLYIN'DUC

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

I really had a great time, the only place I was having paving issues was going onto the banking it was very rough, leaned over and pouring on the throttle I was getting alot of shake and bouncing around, a few times it coulda gotten away from me at very high speed, and that wall there with the fence prolly wouldnt give much:/:
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #19
SVmike
nuthin'

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
just a mtn bike now...

Send a message via AIM to SVmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN'DUC View Post
I really had a great time, the only place I was having paving issues was going onto the banking it was very rough, leaned over and pouring on the throttle I was getting alot of shake and bouncing around, a few times it coulda gotten away from me at very high speed, and that wall there with the fence prolly wouldnt give much:/:
yeah I had an encounter with the famous bump at that transition...thought i was gonna end up in the wall too.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:55 AM   #20
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

you guys, it's gotten into your heads that all.. just hammer the throttle and hang the on.. what a long weekend, i'm tired, wore out, sore and ready for a nap already today..
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote