MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 08:46 AM   #1
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Smile Tires? How long before changing?

Ok track junkies hereís a noob question about tires on the track. How long before you change them? Iím currently running Corsa 3 and they still are sticking really good, but I can spin them up a little when getting back on the power coming out of the curves, but Iíve got a pretty steady throttle hand so I hardly do spin them enough where I actually notice it. Does my rear tire look ok for another track day or two? I currently ran 2:00 at MSRH last noob day, (I know IĎm still slow) but would have been easily faster with out really trying to hard with a faster group since I kept running into traffic slowing me down. Iím just not sure when to call it a day on a tire for the track. For the street this tire is still fine. I donít change them till Iím on the wear bars for the street. My front still looks fine to me so I didnít take any picks, but itís showing some wear for sure, but not as much as the rear to me. This rear tire has seen 6 track days from my very first track day ever till now. Iíve got another rear sitting in my garage, but hate throwing away money so I wanted to find out from you regular track junkies if this tire is still good are maybe have to many heat cycles through it or the tread is to low? The new one has better tread depth for sure in comparison. Iíve pretty much turned my bike into a track bike and will be transitioning into some Pro series tires once I get through these and get some warmers.
Thanks for any feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1610.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	11622   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1611.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	11623   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1614.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	11624  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1615.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	11625  
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing tires redtalon3204 General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 05-06-2011 11:50 PM
Long wear tires for R6? TX-Zen General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 09-28-2009 07:29 PM
Changing Tires Dreamer!! General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 11-03-2008 12:42 PM
Help Changing Tires gsxrjai General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 11-03-2008 12:12 PM
Changing aspect ratio of tires? MadseasoN Performance and Modifications 4 03-27-2007 09:23 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2008, 08:48 AM   #2
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

if it were me, i'd change it out. 6 trackdays is quite a bit of time on a tire.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
change em. sell those to someone who cruises the streets to recover some $$$ for new ones.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
Missing: Naked SV650, FZ1, Night Hawk
Best Upgrade:Sv650 Suspension full credit (Motorcycles Unlimited)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJames View Post
if it were me, i'd change it out. 6 trackdays is quite a bit of time on a tire.
+1 that thing is probably pretty hard after so many heata cycles. I'm thinking your not using warmer eh?

They look fine for the street though.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
0oAndyo0
Trying togo fast again!

Experience: 4-8 months
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2009 R6 Race bike forsale!
2006 GSXR Race bike SOLD!!!
2007 GSXR 750 SOLD!!!
2001 GSXR 600 SOLD!!!
2007 R1 SOLD!!!

yeah but 6 track days is alot but if you feel it dying on you then you know it time to change. Plus your on a gsxr1000 rite?
Old 05-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #6
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

This is a tough question, and I get asked this about 1000 times a weekend. Really without knowing you and your riding style; I'd lean to the side of caution. Tires are cheaper than bodywork & hospital bills. Your in a tough spot as a rider. Your picking up speed, and confidence. I honestly doubt you'll outrun the equipment anytime soon, but you will overrun your talent (knowledge) level....eventually. Better suspension, brakes & tires offer insurance at this point more than performance.

With all of that said, How many street miles are on the tires, and how many trackdays?

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
This is a tough question, and I get asked this about 1000 times a weekend. Really without knowing you and your riding style; I'd lean to the side of caution. Tires are cheaper than bodywork & hospital bills. Your in a tough spot as a rider. Your picking up speed, and confidence. I honestly doubt you'll outrun the equipment anytime soon, but you will overrun your talent (knowledge) level....eventually. Better suspension, brakes & tires offer insurance at this point more than performance.

With all of that said, How many street miles are on the tires, and how many trackdays?

John
6 track days and about 1000 street miles. They pretty much hit the track after getting them.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:09 AM   #8
SCRC John

Member Garage

Certainly I would opt for some new rubber......
(cough)(cough)...can I help lol
Old 05-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #9
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Quote:
Certainly I would opt for some new rubber......
(cough)(cough)...can I help lol
ok thanks for the feedback. Yes most likely. I already have a rear sitting in my garage, but will need a front to go with it. I run Pirelli Diablo Corsa III right now. After I go through this next set I'm wanting to try out the Dot's. I'm leaning towards the Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pro Medium or Bt-002 Pro Med. I got to get some tire warmers though for them so for now I'll run my new Corsa 3 for 5 or 6 track days again since I already have one new one sittign around and sale these used one to a street rider like everyone is suggesting.
Thanks for the feedback everybody. This site rocks.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #10
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
change em. sell those to someone who cruises the streets to recover some $$$ for new ones.
yeah I talked to you yesterday about them to, but was getting a feeling about what everybody else thought to. Thanks Tony. Now get back to painting my fairing. Can't wait to see it and check it out on my next track day.

Oh an BIGcomfy I'm not using tire warmers yet. They are in the works after my fairings are done. Maybe next month I'll have them. Yeah Andy I'm running with a 1000 so spinnig up is pretty easy to do on it even with good tires. I like your explanation Kawi jm. You hit the nail on the head I think.
Thanks again guys.

Last edited by gixxerman; 05-07-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:46 AM   #11
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerman View Post
yeah I talked to you yesterday about them to, but was getting a feeling about what everybody else thought to. Thanks Tony. Now get back to painting my fairing. Can't wait to see it and check it out on my next track day.

Oh an BIGcomfy I'm not using tire warmers yet. They are in the works after my fairings are done. Maybe next month I'll have them. Yeah Andy I'm running with a 1000 so spinnig up is pretty easy to do on it even with good tires. I like your explanation Kawi jm. You hit the nail on the head I think.
Thanks again guys.
You don't plan on using tire warmers on street tires do you?

This was a question I got answered about 50 times over when I asked if it was wise to use them on street rubber. Turnes out, it's a bad idea.

Just wanting to help out I guess.........

-Adam
Old 05-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #12
SCRC John

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
You don't plan on using tire warmers on street tires do you?

This was a question I got answered about 50 times over when I asked if it was wise to use them on street rubber. Turnes out, it's a bad idea.

Just wanting to help out I guess.........

-Adam
I'm curious who said it was a BAD idea to use warmers on street tires? It isn't nessasary, but it will not hurt the tire.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #13
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

no I was going to use them on the Pro series tires. I've basically heard the same. It want hurt a street tire to use warmers, but is not neccessary because they warm up so fast. I do have a question about warmers though now. How hot do you run them. For instance the woodcraft ones and others have two settings. One up to 130deg and the other 170deg. I suppose the hotter the better. What's the rule on this?
Old 05-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #14
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
I'm curious who said it was a BAD idea to use warmers on street tires? It isn't nessasary, but it will not hurt the tire.
Ok, maybe the word bad was a little out of context on what I was really trying to say.

It might not be a bad idea, but like you said, it probably wouldn't help. I'm not a tire expert, I'll leave kawi jm to explain the specifics to the masses, he can fight off the hordes for himself!

But as far as I know, from what I've been told, using warmers on street rubber could cause the tires to get a little......slick? But I assume if you had a decent set of warmers where you can adjust the temp, that wouldn't be much of a problem.

But correct me if I'm wrong.........I'm honestly new to the theory behind understanding tires. All I've done until lately, is worry about tire pressure. So, I'm always looking for more insight!

Sorry if I confused anyone with the whole BAD idea post.......

-Adam
Old 05-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #15
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

a single temp warmer will work fine.

if you have the multi temp one.....i would use low heat for hotter days, high heat for colder days.....and if you have 3 adjustments....i usually use the hottest temp for about 30-45 minutes before i get on the track, then maintain with medium temp throughout the day.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:24 AM   #16
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
But correct me if I'm wrong.........I'm honestly new to the theory behind understanding tires. All I've done until lately, is worry about tire pressure. So, I'm always looking for more insight!

Sorry if I confused anyone with the whole BAD idea post.......

-Adam
race or street tires can be confusing since almost every company has different variables to work with.

tire pressure is the key to a properly operating tire. when you go to race tires, you gotta constantly check the tires before going on the track, and coming in from the track. some brands are sensative to being off by 1/2 lbs.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #17
SCRC John

Member Garage

The chickenhawk warmers single temp warmers run at 175F deg. I put mine on in the morning and leave them on all day. A race tire operates at a much higher temp than 175, so leaving them on the warmers is not going to hurt them.....I must clairify, I am talking about Bridgestones here. I usually set them cold at 28 front / 25 rear. Get them on the warmers. I try to have a hour on the warmers....try. Then check them on the warmers before I go out. I'm looking for 30 front / 28 rear. HOT on the warmers. I then know they are at approx. 175 deg. I can also probe the tire, with my temp gauge, but everyone does not have that ability. Once off the track, I check them immediately. Looking for 31-32 psi front & rear.
I'll do this for the first two sessions. If I am getting consistent results, then I just ride the bike and put the warmers back on in between the sessions...on high.

John

Advertisement