MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Track tires

Well I'm currently med frt and rear 002's. So far I like them but hate the wear 2 track days on them and they look pretty rough. I'm determined to get one more out of them but I'm sure I will have to back off at towards the end of the day.

Now for the next set. Should I replace with both frt and rear Hard compound 002's(or a combo med frt/soft rear) since the weather is starting to warm up now. Or run an aggressive street tire (on warmers to avoid heat cycling them)?

I'm still getting used to the new bike and it's taking a while since I only get to ride her at the track. I'm a little concerned about returning to street tires with so much power and superior suspension compared to my SV last season where 2ct frt and power rear was doing fine for me other than a bit of slippage from the rear every once in a while.

Thoughts? and this is not a stones vs michelin thread so please don't make it so.

Thanks

Martin
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Track tires Ducsmine Taking it to the Track 4 08-23-2015 02:04 AM
Track tires (street tires exempt) Slovy Taking it to the Track 30 03-11-2013 03:37 PM
Tires at the track. NewRider Taking it to the Track 22 02-02-2011 11:21 PM
Need New Track Tires Pachuco General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 04-08-2010 02:01 PM
Cold Track, Green Track, Tire Warmers and Cold Tires... cdill35 Taking it to the Track 40 11-24-2008 11:48 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I'm no expert but I think it would depend on how hard you are working the tires.
If you are a fast then you may have to suffer with the hassle of replacing race rubber.
I, on the other hand, am pretty slow (mid 1:50s @MSRH)and get great life and grip from BToo2 street/race tires on my 750.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:06 AM   #3
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

I'm running the Pirelli Super Corsa's with a yellow rear (hard) and a green (med) front. These are what teh endurance guys are running, so I am hoping to get multiple track days out of them. So far after 1 1/2 track days they are looking real good!!!! I'll keep you posted on their wear.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Well I'm currently med frt and rear 002's. So far I like them but hate the wear 2 track days on them and they look pretty rough. I'm determined to get one more out of them but I'm sure I will have to back off at towards the end of the day.

Now for the next set. Should I replace with both frt and rear Hard compound 002's(or a combo med frt/soft rear) since the weather is starting to warm up now. Or run an aggressive street tire (on warmers to avoid heat cycling them)?

I'm still getting used to the new bike and it's taking a while since I only get to ride her at the track. I'm a little concerned about returning to street tires with so much power and superior suspension compared to my SV last season where 2ct frt and power rear was doing fine for me other than a bit of slippage from the rear every once in a while.

Thoughts? and this is not a stones vs michelin thread so please don't make it so.

Thanks

Martin
consider urself lucky bro ! i get 1 day out of a set slicks. i told u id give u my front take-offs. u'd get 1 trackday outta them. the rears are generally wasted and no good... plus they are too wide for ur scooter run my front take-off and buy a rear slick
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Martin,
For track day use I'd go with the hard rear and medium front. That should get you multiple track day life, or switch to the BT002 Ride Smart.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:18 AM   #6
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

I'm in the same boat... although my boat is much slower than yours

I'm praly gonna stick with 002's simply because they give me soooo much more confidence. I like knowing that if I come in a little hot (for me anyway) I can just lean 'er more and make it!
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

I'm opting to pay the difference and use med / soft and replace every other or every 3 TDs depending on wear

I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money and you can keep The Change!
Swift E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Martin,
If your seeing significant wear afer 2 trackdays, it may be suspension related. As in it needs some tuning, the med/med setup is certainly good for more than 2 trackdays. I'll look at your tires at MSR for the different signs of wear. Also remember 1 trackday = 3-4 hours of riding, my fastest endurance guys change the rear after 4-5 hours. Now with that said, thier pace is quite faster than most can muster on a typical trackday (me included). I was getting 4-5 trackdays out of my med/med combos on my 600rr. Back when Buck was running the stone's he was getting 8-9 trackdays out of the med/hard setups. So I am leaning towards setup or possible air pressures. We will take a close look at all of this stuff Monday.

See ya there.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Brandon will be out there Monday to help as well.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement