MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
tru_pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

chain

ok, more questions to ask lol. i ordered my sprockets already, but now had some questions regarding chains. whats the difference between o-ring, xw-ring, and z-ring chains? and also, Im trying to find a chain, and it asks for link amount. what link amount do i get? im still running 525, and i ordered the sunstar steel sprockets, -1 and oem in rear.

thanks for the help!!

oh yah, what chain would be recommended? i mean, what would be the best one, as far as wearing and all that? thanks for the help!
tru_pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire alignment/chain adjustment (short-ish chain?) SideVinder650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 07-14-2014 03:55 PM
chain jcsalazar How To's and Q & A's 2 09-04-2013 10:19 PM
chain JBIRD5363 Motorcycles Unlimited 0 11-12-2008 06:31 PM
Chain 1fastchevy How To's and Q & A's 6 08-29-2008 04:34 PM
Best chain sixshooter1125 General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 11-13-2007 03:14 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Might I ask if you do not know these answers then how will you be able to swap out the parts?

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
JSki

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 SV650

Sounds like minor technicalities to someone who's mechanically inclined, if you ask me... maybe he just wants to understand it a little bit better before he gets it. Anything wrong with that?

I'd run into the same problems, since it's my first bike, but I know I could still put the chit on.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
indoMLA
If it's free, it's for me

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'02 Yamaha R6 - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru_pimp View Post
ok, more questions to ask lol. i ordered my sprockets already, but now had some questions regarding chains. whats the difference between o-ring, xw-ring, and z-ring chains? and also, Im trying to find a chain, and it asks for link amount. what link amount do i get? im still running 525, and i ordered the sunstar steel sprockets, -1 and oem in rear.

thanks for the help!!

oh yah, what chain would be recommended? i mean, what would be the best one, as far as wearing and all that? thanks for the help!
Google my friend, google.... Linky
...... but when i have problems being able to screw other things i normally tie them up and lube the out of it. dont be afraid do get rough with it. if you cant handle it with the tool you have maybe the task is to hard for you. in which case if could be time for some tag team action and maybe even a foursome...
indoMLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSki View Post
Sounds like minor technicalities to someone who's mechanically inclined, if you ask me... maybe he just wants to understand it a little bit better before he gets it. Anything wrong with that?

I'd run into the same problems, since it's my first bike, but I know I could still put the chit on.
Everything is easy when you have the right tools. That is what I am hinting at here. If you do not know how to choose a chain I doubt one has the tools to properly replace it is all. I personally would call Motorcycles-Unlimited @ 281-444-0545 for help.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
tru_pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoMLA View Post
Google my friend, google.... Linky
thanks, but i figured this website and this section was meant to help people. but i do thank you for sending me that way.

and as far as how im going to do it, i am mechanically incline, im a mechanic, i do have the right tools to do it. im the type of person that would rather do it myself then have someone else do it. and seeing as how this is my first bike ive owned and work on, id like to do everything myself, this way i can actually know whats all gone onto the bike and what alls been done.

dont get me wrong, Motorcycles Unlimited is a good place, but im on Southwest side and thats quite a drive. I see where you are going with that question moody, but im pretty sure nobody here was born with all the knowledge there is to know about bikes. sorry for asking
tru_pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #7
Blue91

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2010 White R6
2003 Silver R6 (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Blue91
Man, no wonder this forum isn't used often as the PW forums. Sheesh, just give the man his answers and move on. Some people (like me) prefer to do the work themselves.

Blue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
indoMLA
If it's free, it's for me

Bike(s):
'02 Yamaha R6 - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru_pimp View Post
thanks, but i figured this website and this section was meant to help people. but i do thank you for sending me that way.

and as far as how im going to do it, i am mechanically incline, im a mechanic, i do have the right tools to do it. im the type of person that would rather do it myself then have someone else do it. and seeing as how this is my first bike ive owned and work on, id like to do everything myself, this way i can actually know whats all gone onto the bike and what alls been done.

dont get me wrong, Motorcycles Unlimited is a good place, but im on Southwest side and thats quite a drive. I see where you are going with that question moody, but im pretty sure nobody here was born with all the knowledge there is to know about bikes. sorry for asking
Okay, I misunderstood the question. I thought you wanted to know the difference in the types of chains.
Here are the differences:
O-Rings - seal a special lubricant inside the chain joints to ensure maximum wear life and excellent performance; these chains are commonly used on sport bikes as they are long lasting and can be found easily.
XW-ring - this chain is a x-ring type chain. This chain will last longer than an a O-ring chain as long as one maintains it. The drawback of this chain is the time of upkeep and maintanance. The plus side, less friction robbing and more power due to less weight and more strength, usually used on race bikes.
Z-ring - heavily lubricated (4 points as opposed to 2 points on a o-ring chain), has higher wear resistance and usually used on torquey bikes like dirtbikes and the like.
For our type of riding, it is best to go with a O-ring type chain. It will be more forgiving of missed maintanance and also the other rings are not worth the increased cost.

How to determine chain length. This depends on the type of bike you have. The best way to do this is to count the number of links in the old chain and use that number for the new chain, but you changed the gearing of the sprockets, so you can't use this method. There is a ratio you have to use, but I do not know it off hand.... will post if I find it...
...... but when i have problems being able to screw other things i normally tie them up and lube the out of it. dont be afraid do get rough with it. if you cant handle it with the tool you have maybe the task is to hard for you. in which case if could be time for some tag team action and maybe even a foursome...
indoMLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:29 PM   #9
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
16 R1200RS
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

You can also determine the chain length by going to one of the motorcycle online stores and look up your bike. They will usually come long and you have to trim to length. Chances are you'll get something like a 140 link and cut.

Any of the name brands are comparable; everyone has their personal favs. RK, Regina, or any of them will be fine.

IF you need any help I have all the chain tools to cut and rivet.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #10
sixerSLYGUY
ChuckR1's

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06' R6 track
79' SR500

http://www.sumofallparts.net/install/installkit.pdf

this is for a sprocket and chain kit, i changed the sprockets and chain on my bike and this was usefull. as far as chain length, they all come longer and youll have plenty of slack. what i did was install both sprockets, mounted the wheel and set it at as far forward as i could then back about 1/4"(it will elongate after a few miles and need to be adj.), then i wrapped the chain around and saw where the chain needed to be cut. MAKE SURE YOU DONT CUT IT TOO SHORT. hope my advice and the link help! good luck!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:43 PM   #11
gsxr-7-fifty

Bike(s):
07 VTX1300c

Just hurry up and get the chain already so u can get it back on the road. Im going nuts not being able to ride a sportbike, and i'm surely not riding yours with the chain thats on it now!!!

***dont know how much longer i am going to make it without a bike***
gsxr-7-fifty is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement