MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2008, 11:13 AM   #21
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmarky View Post
i didn't say anything about keeping up with faster bikes, i had no problem keeping up with any bike when we go on our rides thru 249/the forrest etc
you just never brake while turning :p but ya the straightaways were ruff

i just hated riding it on the freeway, accelerating on that bike around 70mph was just dead painful unless u left it at redline in 4th - but then again i was riding it at the same time as my friends 900RR - so just hard not to get used to a normal bike

i know what yalll are saying but IMO you shouldn't ride that on "houston" (houston meaning moron cagers aplenty) freeways unless you are alert the entire time -

nah the big marky thing is a pun
i'm 5`11 170lbs (not very big at all)

i noticed this forum seems to have a ton of 250 riders, my question for yall is
why are yall still on 250s?

put about 1-2yrs on it, then selll the and buy something that makes you really enjoy riding the way it was meant to be

ON ONE WHEEEEEEEEELLL =D

pic of me on my old 750 =D
Probably felt that way since you are used to unbelievable amounts of power from a bigger bike. Unless its a sports car redlining in an aggressive way, I pass everyone getting on the feeder, and getting to 70mph is a piece of cake, so I don't know where you get that its painful? Perhaps painful compared to the twist of the wrist to hit 70 in first gear alone!?

Some stick with the 250 since its cheap and fun. Keeps you out of triple digit trouble, terrific gas mileage and insurance is pathetically cheap. The new ones also have the design appeal.

Straight line speed isn't everything is the point and a good rider on a 250 in the twisties could leave a bigger bike behind.... its insanely flickable compared to some larger heavier bikes. Here in Houston you are becoming focused on just TOP end power and grunt which isn't what riding is about anyway! (w/all due respect of course).

A lot of 250 riders end up regretting selling the 250 when they have twisties nearby because of how fun it is!

And last point:

Quote:
i know what yalll are saying but IMO you shouldn't ride that on "houston" (houston meaning moron cagers aplenty) freeways unless you are alert the entire time -
So you ride without being 100% alert all the time because you have a larger bike? Larger bike = have to pay less attention? (i know you didn't mean that, but your logic/wording on this is VERY questionable!)
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ninja 250 big bore build thread cuong-nutz Performance and Modifications 15 09-01-2014 02:20 PM
Anyone with a ninja 250 or a rebel 250 I could borrow/rent? logan5 General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 04-12-2011 12:32 PM
Ninja 250 Ride Saturday 10am specterunseen Events, Meets and Rides 10 07-30-2008 09:13 PM
Ninja 250 ride + whoever else 4/7/07 Spanish Fly Events, Meets and Rides 5 04-06-2007 07:03 PM
read this illegal thread......... paniro187 Off Topic 22 04-17-2006 04:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2008, 11:14 AM   #22
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

FYI, if bikes were meant to be ridden on public streets in your commute all the time on one wheel:

1. It would be legal... :-)
2. would have given us power unicycles.

lol
Old 06-20-2008, 11:19 AM   #23
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
250s used to be illegal on the hiways
When & where? Like, can you list/link the legal statute?
Old 06-20-2008, 11:20 AM   #24
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

I like my ninjette...when I step up I'm keepin her as my 2nd bike aka the Mrs's bike
Old 06-20-2008, 11:24 AM   #25
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
When & where? Like, can you list/link the legal statute?
.... 'cause if Ulric can't find the list/link, then it must not be out there!!! Ain't that right, Ulric?
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:35 AM   #26
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

This is really funny stuff.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:36 AM   #27
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
.... 'cause if Ulric can't find the list/link, then it must not be out there!!! Ain't that right, Ulric?

Lol no, It just sounds odd, so I'd like to see the sstatue/document in possible, and/or the justification/explanation of it.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #28
monkeyfist
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
yours

User is banned

monkeyfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #29
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfist View Post
amazing all the boasting about how great the 250 is and now this.
It's a great beginner's bike... from that POV ... yes, it's a great bike. Just let it go.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:27 PM   #30
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1145

yes ... you can even tour on it.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:46 PM   #31
dudewhrsmybike

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2017 Kawasaki Z125

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Quote:
Originally Posted by specterunseen View Post

a good rider on a 250 in the twisties could leave a bigger bike behind....

I hear that all the time and NEVER have I seen it or heard about it actually happening. . . Probably because anyone who is good enough to do that is already on a bigger, better bike

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:48 PM   #32
pigpen
Radiator Wrecker

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2000 ZX-12R

Quote:
Here in Houston you are becoming focused on just TOP end power and grunt which isn't what riding is about anyway! (w/all due respect of course)...
I like the 250's and wouldnt mind having one at all for commuting to work, but riding is different things to differnt people... who's to say it can't be about top end power and grunt?

There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about!!!

Last edited by pigpen; 06-20-2008 at 12:50 PM.
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:50 PM   #33
wever411
Gunt Puncher

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 3 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybikes View Post
I hear that all the time and NEVER have I seen it or heard about it actually happening. . . Probably because anyone who is good enough to do that is already on a bigger, better bike
maybe also because the brakes and suspension can't handle it. I remember riding with Seth a while back and he complained about not being able to slow down enough. :dontknow:
Old 06-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #34
dudewhrsmybike

Bike(s):
2017 Kawasaki Z125

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
I like the 250's and wouldnt mind having one at all for commuting to work, but riding is different things to differnt people... who's to say it can't be about top end power and grunt?
True. Some people like to go to the drag strip every now and then!

Old 06-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #35
pigpen
Radiator Wrecker

Bike(s):
2000 ZX-12R

Quote:
I think it should be something more along the lines of:

A good rider on a 250 can leave a bad rider on a bigger bike behind in the twisties.

Well at least on most of the streets around here that we group ride on. Not enough tight corners and to many straights. Guess it depends on your definition of twisties and where you're riding...

There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about!!!

Last edited by pigpen; 06-20-2008 at 01:01 PM.
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:01 PM   #36
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
That's cool if its what you like. Cruising the highway is fine. I've heard that that just outright illegal speeds and blazing accerleration get old after a while, since it takes no real skill to go fast. Any newb with no experince after buying a bike can hit the freeways in triple digits!

I would venture though that most bikers that are dedicated to becoming better riders (not all, but most) would say that joy is not in the top end power, but in the techinque and thrill of the twisties. Problem is Houston doesn't have an abudance of tight twisties compared to other locations. Enjoy brute power and accerlation in a straight line if that's your cup of tea. I'm sharing my opinion as you are yours.

To each their own, but again I venture to guess that most people that don't live for just cruising; I'd venture they find joy in the twisties, & seek them out, where brute power isn't dominant & technique rules. Anyone can twist the wrist hard, but not everyone can "ride the pace".

Old 06-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #37
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
I think it should be something more along the lines of:

A good rider on a 250 can leave a bad rider on a bigger bike behind in the twisties.

Well at least on most of the streets around here that we group ride on. Not enough tight corners and to many straights. Guess it depends on your definition of twisties and where you're riding...
Of course. We all know its about rider technique. I won't argue that. A ninja 250 doesn't automatically make someone faster. When I say that I'm taking into account evenly matched riders. The tighter the twisties, the more advantage the ninjette has per light weight and riding position. Its a given that if they are sweepers or anything that let the superior horsepower through, the ninja would be left far behind!

I'm not arguing the ninja is the best bike ever! Heck no! I can't wait to get my SV650s or KTM duke 3 or something along those lines. My argument is defending the fact that the ninjette needs to be respected as a legitmate sport/standard bike. It's not significantly handicapped etc except on outright speed and brutal torque. Thats my only point!
Old 06-20-2008, 01:16 PM   #38
dudewhrsmybike

Bike(s):
2017 Kawasaki Z125

Member Garage

Quote:
I've heard that that just outright illegal speeds and blazing accerleration get old after a while, since it takes no real skill to go fast.

Enjoy brute power and accerlation in a straight line if that's your cup of tea.

Tunnelvision never gets old

Who said you can't enjoy brute power and accel in turns? You ever come out of a turn in triple digits?

Old 06-20-2008, 01:20 PM   #39
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
Tunnelvision never gets old

Who said you can't enjoy brute power and accel in turns? You ever come out of a turn in triple digits?
look forward veeeery much to it..... on the track!

I ain't ya'll. I don't want everyone on the 250! I'm just making the point to don't dog it! Its a legitimate racer and in the right hands on a tight track could POTENTIALLY leave behind larger bikes. It shouldn't be dismissed.

That said.... nothing wrong with major CC! As long as you know how to use it wisely!

(btw, a sweeper doesn't count as a tight and twisty track when you're hitting triple digits in it... i'm thinking more stuff like Deals Gap, etc)
Old 06-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #40
Bigmarky
Funny saying goes here

Bike(s):
non running sv650 :(

regarding my thing about saying your more alert on a 250 on the highway

ya, i did pay alot more attention to what was going on when i was on my 250 because i knew i didn't have insane braking capabilities or fat accel needed to pull myself out of situations

now doesnt mean i close one eye everywhere on the 10r
but i will admit i was at least 20% more alert while riding on the 250
-u can call me a bad rider or whatever but in 10yrs i've only had one real accident involving a tank slapper on my TLS1000 (faulty damper)
-the day a car hits me or i hit a car means i suck at riding and should hang it up- i just always assume every cager is a moron when i ride and its worked well - even in my old lawnmower 250 days =D

honestly on the 10r the only thing im looking for is a 3 letter word
-P I G-

either way i'm not hating, if you ride you ride, doesnt matter if its a cruiser/250/9sec bike - just watch for pigs/cagers and keep safe

my msg about 250s sellin it and buyin a 600/750/wutever is that - that prolly was the most fun i ever had was knowing how to ride the right way then getting on a bike that i could keep learning on - rather then scraping the pegs on city streets and laffing about it (those 250 foot pegs were low!)
Bigmarky is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement