MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
1fasthyundai

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
05 GSXR-1000

Send a message via AIM to 1fasthyundai Send a message via Yahoo to 1fasthyundai
Need career advice from our older members

Hey all I need a little career advice from some of our older members (no offense to any of our younger members but im looking for someone with personal experience). I am stuck at a HUGE cross roads in my career path here is the situation. It has been a dream of mine to join the military since 2nd grade. I took a Job with a company thinking it would only be short term until I got in enough shape to ship out. The problem is this company seams (at least so far) to be one of those unheard of employers (pays well, GREAT benefits, treats their employees well etc...) basically one of those company's i didn't think existed anymore. (average employee employment = 23 years) Also the job seams very interesting and I think i am going to enjoy it alot. Lets just say working at this company I will be making about 4ish times what the military would be paying me for quiet some time and with far better benefits. So what should I do take a chance and follow my dream of joining the military? Or stay at this job where I know I will make a lot more money? Anyone make any similar decisions? regrets? (please don't bring up the whole Iraq i could get shot thing its not an issue for me and its the reason I cant have this discussion with my family/friends because it is an issue for them)
1fasthyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thanks to members helping members tonyt915 Off Topic 5 11-19-2009 06:54 PM
8/17 M&G 7PM - Members Helpin Members - Nasa Hooter's Flip Events, Meets and Rides 192 08-18-2009 10:33 PM
5/4 M&G- Members Helping Members- Hooter's Nasa and 45 Spectre5922 Events, Meets and Rides 266 05-08-2009 09:29 PM
Members Helping Members 5/4 Meet and Greet Track Day Winners! cdill35 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 0 05-04-2009 10:13 PM
4/27 M&G 7PM - Members Helpin Members - Nasa Hooter's Flip Events, Meets and Rides 268 04-28-2009 09:38 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Tough choice... maybe you should chase your dream and leave your company on good terms, that way when your enlistment is up you have the door open to return with more training and move even further in that job. No military experience for me due to injuries sustained in a car wreck. Take it from me, your only young once so live it up. I did...I went out and toured with rock bands for 6 years and am now at home raising a family and getting ready to go back to college for a degree.

Last edited by witchdoctor575; 03-06-2008 at 05:16 PM.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
navigator
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'06 Buell XB12X

Follow your heart and do what you will enjoy.  I made the mistake many years ago of listening to others advice and now I am 25 years into a career that pays well but doesn't do anything for me personally, other than pay the bills.  You have lots of years in front of you.  Make sure the last ones aren't filled with regret for what might have been.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
CubanGIXXER
R.I.P. Burns

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'07 Suzuki GSXR 600

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to CubanGIXXER Send a message via Yahoo to CubanGIXXER
thats definately a big decision in your life to make! I know what i would do, but im only 29 and you prob dont want to hear my opinion. But it seams like you'll be happy either way, so your in a win-win situation. Unless you get shipped to Iraq and a bomb goes off near you, and leaves you disabled, and your only making 1/4 of what you could have been making, so you end up in the middle of the street on a wheelchair with burger king cup in your hand.

j/k man ... good luck in making the right decision.

www.myspace.com/robbielay19
CubanGIXXER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
Gixxer Geezer
All day long I'm shufflin

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 honda vtx 1300
06 Busa limited. sold
2 Gixxer 600. sold
85 Honda Hurricane. sold
56 Triumph, 64 BSA, Thunderbolt, 66 BSA Lightning Bolt, 64 Honda Scrambler. all sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator View Post
Follow your heart and do what you will enjoy.* I made the mistake many years ago of listening to others advice and now I am 25 years into a career that pays well but doesn't do anything for me personally, other than pay the bills.* You have lots of years in front of you.* Make sure the last ones aren't filled with regret for what might have been.

AMEN!!!...

What part of "I Don't Care", Don't you Understand?
Gixxer Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #6
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

Lets just say working at this company I will be making about 4ish times what the military would be paying me for quiet some time and with far better benefits.

Since the military is not known to be the highest paying employer but does have great benefits like shipping you off to Allah-forsaken places it should not be much of a decision - if money is very important.

On the other hand, you can get good training and schooling in the military.

My younger brother just retired from the A.F. as a Major. He got his Bachelors and Masters degrees, all paid, along with training as a physicians assistant, in the military.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

I made the mistake of enlisting (nuclear engineer) and backed out waiting on my ship date. I have lots of regrets of "what if" and "I wish I hads". I personally say, if it is truly a dream of yours go for it. You can retire in 20 years (which considering you are still eligible for enlistment) you will be what around 40 with full benefits for life. Then you can focus on a career afterwards. I am EXTREMELY happy with my wife and kid, and I wouldn't change that for the world, but two years ago I wish I would have made that move, and part of me still does. I say go for it. I'm not all that old, but I figured i would put my two cents in since I went through that and feel I went the wrong direction.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:44 PM   #8
nuclearalex
32yo-not senior member

Bike(s):
06 shadow aero - sold, 02 954rr baby!

Send a message via Yahoo to nuclearalex
you should have posted a poll.... in my situation i had an analogous choice to make - something that i love vs something that pays more money...
my poll result was 75% was for more money and 1/4 for what i love.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:55 PM   #10
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

money isn't everything first of all.. But hang in that job and you'll be rewarded, my current job is just as you described above. IT'S GREAT///
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:05 PM   #11
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
16 R1200RS
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Have you considered the Guard? Keep the job and play in the dirt one weekend a month. Talk it over with your employeer and make sure they'll support you. Even tho it is the law that you can't be fired for serving time, loopholes are found all the time.

Plus, the military life ain't for everyone. At least with the Guard, you're not locked in full time if it isn't what you thought it was, and you can switch to active fulltime if it turns out to be your cup of tea.

Advertisement