MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2008, 06:37 AM   #1
CalamariKid

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1, 1995 R1100GS, 2008 WR450F

Track Day Ambulance Charges

Back in November I did a track day with LMS at MSRH at which I low sided after losing the front end coming through turn 1 at the transition between the old and new track where it is a bit bumpy.

I rung my bell pretty good and very briefly lost consciousness after uprighting the bike. The ambulance was already there by this time and they asked if I wanted them to have a look at me. I agreed, was strapped to the board and they put me in the ambulance. They took my blood pressure and pulse and asked how I felt. I felt fine, they said nothing appeared to be wrong with me and off I went. I was in the ambulance a maximum of 10 minutes.

I soon thereafter received a bill from Danbury Ambulance Service for $407.50. I thought that there must be a mistake as I was not transported. It has always been my understanding, right or wrong, that the ambulances at the track days are paid to be there by the track day organizers and that a fee is only incurred by the track day participant in the event a transport to the hospital is necessary. I confirmed with Buck that Danbury is paid to be there, so I am perplexed and angered by the charges. I have had several conversations with the agency Danbury Ambulance uses for billing in trying to get some clarity on why I am being charged and my understanding from them is that if they take vital signs they charge you the $407.50 and that they have no responsibility to inform you of this at the time of service. Calls to the owner of Danbury have gone unreturned.

Had I known that allowing them to 'have a look' was going to cost me $400, I would have passed on that offer and utilized other resources to access damage.

So, based on my experience I have a couple of questions:
  1. Were/are you under the impression as I was that you are only charged by the ambulance service at a track day event if you get transported?
  2. What are the specific policies of ambulances at track days for the various track day organizers and tracks?

Although I think it would be penny wise and pound foolish to forego medical treatment when it is necessary, I also believe that we should be fully informed about the policies and cost associated with that treatment so we can make an informed cost/benefit decision.
CalamariKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Former day care worker facing charges NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 04-13-2015 07:20 PM
RideSmart Track Day - 7.18.2009 @MSRC - 3.1Mi Track Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 07-14-2009 07:19 PM
First TWS (Texas World Speedway) Track Day / RideSmart / Memorial Day '08 maxgs General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 07-14-2008 08:47 AM
RideSmart Track Day @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) 5.26.08 - Memorial Day!!! - Roll Call Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 6 04-09-2008 06:07 PM
RideSmart Track Day Sep. 5th. Any new track newbies wanna go? roro Events, Meets and Rides 10 08-22-2005 09:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
Jay
Deleted

Experience: 5 years

you will get charged if your attended to( inside the ambulence).........unless you dont get in the ambulance and sign a waiver
Old 02-20-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!-SOLD
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more sold

and on the flip side, how would you feel if they told you "yeah it'll be $400" and you declined and you died later that evening.

nobody works for free, granted the charge is excessive for what little work they did, but they're education cost $ as well as "the bus"

and i think your thinking of city ambulances(free) vs private. even though i've been reading that otehr cities even city run ambulance services end up sending a bill.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
CalamariKid

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1, 1995 R1100GS, 2008 WR450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
and on the flip side, how would you feel if they told you "yeah it'll be $400" and you declined and you died later that evening.

nobody works for free, granted the charge is excessive for what little work they did, but they're education cost $ as well as "the bus"

and i think your thinking of city ambulances(free) vs private. even though i've been reading that otehr cities even city run ambulance services end up sending a bill.
How do I know the charge won't be $4000? They charge whatever they charge so I would feel much better knowing what the charge for them attending to me is.

I agree that no one works for free, but they are paid by the track day organizer to be there, they are earning money to be there.

Bottom line is I prefer full disclosure. Clearly I, and perhaps others, are/were under the impression that since the ambulance is paid by the track day organizer to be there that there is no charge unless you are transported. I just would prefer knowing what the policy is so I can make educated decisions.
CalamariKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:34 AM   #5
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

have you noticed how many private ambulance companies there are? thhat's because they make great money...it's a great business.

Maybe MH should have it's own ambulance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!-SOLD
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more sold

they don't pay there peeps for chit, my buddy makes like $14-15/hr, considering he may be responsible for your life, scary!

Calamri, if you had know how much they were gonna charge, would you have rode less aggressively? should they put up a menu like at McDonalds?

when your bell is REALLY rung, you think your gonna understand the charges? when do they tell you what the charges and what if your unconscious, do they still tell you the charges?

well only if he's 50% do we tell em the charges........if they're only 49% cognicant, we don't tell em the charges.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcknstrips View Post
have you noticed how many private ambulance companies there are? thhat's because they make great money...it's a great business.

Maybe MH should have it's own ambulance.
good idea.....

hey charles, at least that $407 would've went to a fellow MH member and fellow rider if we had our own private ambulance.

sorry to hear about that charles, i was under the same impression you were about ambulances....just call their billing department and tell them this...."i'll pay you $50 and you clear my bill, or you can sell my account to a collections agency for a few bucks and lose out on the rest"

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

Feedback Rating: (2)

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
The organizers pay the ambulance to BE THERE. What we are paying for is for them to sit there and wait for you to crash, and not answerr other calls that would leave us without EMT's. Anything they provide you is between you and the ambulance service. Sorry to hear you are having a problem.
CMRA expert #413
Get off the keyboard and on your bike for a change...
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:19 AM   #9
Psych0ninja
^^^CANDIE FAHST!!!!!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2005 R6 Track only

I agree with Racer X on they dont get paid I am a paramedic but no longer ride the ambulance due to alot of but when i was I only made 15 an hour to do what i had to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
i think mckee is psychoninja's , ask psychoninja if mckee can take it
Psych0ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #10
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
If your bell was rung, then why question what they did or charged? Trust me, I feel your frustration....If I have a mishap at the track and get scuffed up, I'll probably try and determine if I need immediate attention...and if medical attention is needed I'll transport myself if it's non-life threatening....

On a side note, you should have told them your name was Buck Beasley
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #11
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Don't you guys find it strange that we have few or NO paramedics on MH?

If we do, what would it take to get trackside service w/ an MH discount

I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money and you can keep The Change!
Swift E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:33 AM   #12
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift E View Post
Don't you guys find it strange that we have few or NO paramedics on MH?

If we do, what would it take to get trackside service w/ an MH discount
i'm sure we have a few paramedics.....

but i'm also sure that we dont have a member with a fleet of private ambulances.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #13
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

I knew about this agreement about them being paid to be there by the organizers of event. It is the same at all sports events, drag races, dirt roundy-round races, etc.
The good new is that you had trained medical personnel available to check your vitals and insure that you weren't suffering a concusion (sp) from the KO. You were wearing your helmet so you know you hit your coconut pretty hard to KO yourself.
The $400 bucks just means that you go without eating out for a couple of weekends and you might have to pass on a few toys/goodies you might want (not need.)

For me, having them available if I go down is priceless...

Old 02-20-2008, 10:10 AM   #14
dnix600

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600

gezzz...the guy is just giving yall the information because he wasnt aware

he sums it up with 2 question which is his point to the thread

so far only tony has answered one of the ?s

yes, I would assume that the would charge me, but I used to be an EMT.

I would also assume that would be the policy at any other track.
dnix600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #15
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

That sucks man. Sorry to hear that. I have to agree with many others though. I would expect a charge for any services rendered, but that is steep, and that sure sucks to have to pay. I could think of a lot better things to spend my $400 on.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:41 AM   #16
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Ripoff.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:52 AM   #17
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

When I crashed at TWS (Texas World Speedway) I got a ride in the ambulance back to the paddock but even as woosy as I was I wasn't going to let them take me to the hospital(good ole Radar did that ) I didn't get charged for the ambulance but them freak'n aggies charged me $8,200 for two catscan and three xrays, a are sling and a couple of pain pills. I am going to have to be bleeding or have broke something to go back to another ER.
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #18
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Negotiate

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:09 PM   #19
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I think there should be some nominal charge - $407 is out of line for the services rendered.

When I crashed a year ago @ MSRH Bill and the wifey took me to Angleton Medical Center (Hospital). I was met by a recptionist and triage nurse who promptly got me an ice bag for my hand - I was x-rayed - and seen/evaluated by the on staff MD. He prescribed me pain meds (which I think gixxerbill got into ) and off I went.

Total charges were $500 and change. I fell like that was an incredible bargain for services rendered. My 2 cents.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:13 PM   #20
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I think there should be some nominal charge - $407 is out of line for the services rendered.

When I crashed a year ago @ MSRH Bill and the wifey took me to Angleton Medical Center (Hospital). I was met by a recptionist and triage nurse who promptly got me an ice bag for my hand - I was x-rayed - and seen/evaluated by the on staff MD. He prescribed me pain meds (which I think gixxerbill got into ) and off I went.

Total charges were $500 and change. I fell like that was an incredible bargain for services rendered. My 2 cents.
Another reason you were (can I say "lucky" maybe a bad word) to crash in Houston. You would have been looking at over $4000 if that would have happened at that evil Aggie track. And no I didn't get any of your pain meds but I will take some. come on radar fork em over.
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement