MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 10:48 AM   #61
Whorenet
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
cbr600, cbrxx 1100 blackbird, kazuma 110 derty, springer forked 1/2 chopper...more to come

User is banned

Whorenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorcyclist crashes in entrance ramp NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 01-19-2015 06:30 AM
I see your high speed cornering and raise you a low speed corner... Hi-Side General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 07-22-2011 07:56 PM
now thats a wedding entrance!! bentgixxer Off Topic 16 09-13-2010 10:01 AM
top speed run and high speed wheelies. CBR 1000 CarbonJames General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 08-19-2005 10:29 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2008, 10:50 AM   #62
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

Brandon is not a noob. He's just looking for pointers from people that actually have some track experience. He probably has about 10K miles under his belt the past 12 months. I know there are riders that have more and riders that have less miles under their belt. Eveyone's perception of a noob is different...

but I would rather have Brandon on a ride than someone I dont know trying to pass me on the inside of a blind turn or trying to haul like speed racer. Been on those rides and seen 'em go down in all thier badass glory.

GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #63
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

That's a nice looking Z1000 there Rob.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #64
robz1000
Finding My Mojo

Bike(s):
2014 HD Low Rider
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Man View Post
Was not me that said to do double or triple the posted speed. I agree, that can be bad advise. I say take the corner at what you are comfortable with and go from there. And yes people have to remember that things can be unpredictable on the street like blind curves and dead dogs etc.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, have fun, but be careful out there....there's way too many rider down threads on this site...I just hate to see anyone get hurt.

Peace
robz1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:52 AM   #65
robz1000
Finding My Mojo

Bike(s):
2014 HD Low Rider

thanks...I LOVE it.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #66
Guitar Man

Bike(s):
73 Triumph Tiger 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthHoustonCBR View Post
Brandon is not a noob. He's just looking for pointers from people that actually have some track experience. He probably has about 10K miles under his belt the past 12 months. I know there are riders that have more and riders that have less miles under their belt. Eveyone's perception of a noob is different...

but I would rather have Brandon on a ride than someone I dont know trying to pass me on the inside of a blind turn or trying to haul like speed racer. Been on those rides and seen 'em go down in all thier badass glory.
+1 I've seen those guys go down too because they think they are gods gift to riding.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #67
Whorenet
Banned

Bike(s):
cbr600, cbrxx 1100 blackbird, kazuma 110 derty, springer forked 1/2 chopper...more to come

User is banned

Old 01-29-2008, 11:00 AM   #68
Guitar Man

Bike(s):
73 Triumph Tiger 750

That section of the Toll Rd. is nice at those hours. Might have to hit it one Sun. night on the bike.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:04 AM   #69
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Old 01-29-2008, 11:04 AM   #70
tarosean

Bike(s):
'99 ZX11/ '65 T120R/'93 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
This pretty much describes what I do best, I wait until I can see the exit then I begin to increase speed (depending on the turn of course). But sometimes I feel that I've slowed down to much. From what I've been reading I think it's just something that's going to come from more experience and practice.

Since you are an avid Vlogger do you have video of the turns roads your having problems with, etc?
tarosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:05 AM   #71
Whorenet
Banned

Bike(s):

User is banned

Last edited by Whorenet; 01-29-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #72
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
16 R1200RS
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorenet View Post
im NOT saying put it into the trips in all the corners....but i AM saying i could see it being done...

remember.

someone on this forum made this so....im totally not taking credit for it....but its still hillllllariously true!
Totally OT, but we'll be there in April. Thats the Tree of Shame at Deals Gap, for those that don't know.

Best advice for cornering speed on the street is to leave the Ego at home, and ride your own pace, whatever YOU are comfortable at.

A wise man once told me: "No matter how fine she is, just remember. Somewhere, someone is tired of her !"
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #73
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Totally OT, but we'll be there in April. Thats the Tree of Shame at Deals Gap, for those that don't know.

Best advice for cornering speed on the street is to leave the Ego at home, and ride your own pace, whatever YOU are comfortable at.
OT again. I was there last october if you need any routes I've got some great ones with very little traffic or occifers.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #74
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorenet View Post
i didnt even read this whole thread cause the first post made me want to NOT RIDE with you ever.

go to the track.
That has got to be the most ignorant thing I have read here. They guy obviously wants to learn but your so awesome at riding that he cant ask a question without gettting bashed?

I've seen him ride and he is very conservative. U ride your own ride reguardless of being left behind or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBZ1000
Good advise? LOL...tellin' guys to go at least double, even triple the posted speed into a blind curve on a public road?

Looks like dangerous advise to me....I'll pass on any group rides with ya'll too.
What is so "dangerous?" You ride your OWN RIDE. Period. I would rather not have anyone go ride with me if they were afraid of there own skill (OF LACK THERE OF) cause that puts me in danger too. If U dont know what you're doing. Just STAY ur happy a$$ at the house. K. Thanks

Last edited by Mark06gsxr; 01-29-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #75
Brandon

Bike(s):
2011 R6
2007 R6 (sold)
1983 XR-250R (sold)

Some of you are blowing this out of proportion. I know my limits and I do not push them. I simply wanted to find out how others get setup when entering a turn. Perhaps I worded the originial post incorrectly or badly that you misinterpreted it. The point I was trying to make was that when I enter into some turns that I have been through a dozen times or more. I find myself half way through the turn and the bike gets stood straight up because I'm not going fast enough. I feel that the problem comes from my entrance speed or setup.

I do not ride at night very often if at all. I've only rode at night once and that was when I went to a M&G. I also do not ride in the 'city' unless I absolutely have to and even then I take the beltway when I can. I mostly ride north/northwest (forest, 3090, 362, etc). I've been through there more than 100 times since I got my bike in May 07.

I can understand why some of you were put off by my originial post, but I am NOT the kind of rider you are thinking of. As mentioned I am very conservative and tend to fall to the back of the pack fairly quickly on group rides. I have no ego problems and could care less if I'm the slowest person. I'm not looking to PUSH myself into a bad situation I was just looking for a few opinions from others. It's not a race for me, it's a hobby.

Negative posts do not help a community like this, if you have no positive input or constructive criticism then keep it to yourself. Not everyone here has the means to goto the track. I certainly don't have the ability to goto the track every other week. But I know the track is where I can improve the most and I am attending a track day on 03/08 as mentioned.

Anyways I got the answer I was looking for, it's just going to take patience and more experience. Basically the same as what I have been doing all along, but maybe push a little more in a few areas that I am familiar with. I also understand that body position plays a big part in cornering and I've been working on that also.

Thank you everyone for your input, I'm sure others will be able to reference a few posts here anyway.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #76
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
....Negative posts do not help a community like this, if you have no positive input or constructive criticism then keep it to yourself. Not everyone here has the means to goto the track. I certainly don't have the ability to goto the track every other week. But I know the track is where I can improve the most and I am attending a track day on 03/08 as mentioned.
well put sir. i hope you are a man of your word.....and really do ride your own ride.

it's better to be in the back of the pack, then to be scraped off the floor and thrown in the meat wagon. that's how i see it.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:38 PM   #77
Brandon

Bike(s):
2011 R6
2007 R6 (sold)
1983 XR-250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarosean View Post
Since you are an avid Vlogger do you have video of the turns roads your having problems with, etc?
I do have some video of the roads but from the helmet cam with wide angle view you can't really see everything. I've watched the videos a few times and it just doesn't look the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
well put sir. i hope you are a man of your word.....and really do ride your own ride.
I usually let everyone go ahead so I can sit back and ride at my own pace. I'm just out there to have fun and enjoy the ride.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #78
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

FWIW, I've never been to the track, and I started riding street since mid 80's. Once I got active on motorcycle forums, and with the rising popularity of track days, it has peaked my interests, and I am very excited about experiencing my first track day on March 8.

With that said, and from what information I have been absorbing on these boards, i have no doubt that doing a trackday will improve my skills, and probably bring to light any bad habits I likely developed in my 20+ years on the road.

Before "track days", it was all about riding smooth. Smooth in, then smooth out. Riding on the streets was far different than riding on the track (when we referenced racers vs. street riders). In fact, I was always told that if we were dragging knees on the streets, then we were actually riding stupid, since there's no reason to be dragging knees on the street. In fact, dragging knees slowed you down (on the streets). There are too many variables, and no constants in taking one corner one day, and taking that same corner the next day. Therefore, being fast on the street (vs. the track), meant being all about smooth. The track (from what i was told) was more about fast in, brake hard, turn in, throttle steady, fast out... or something along those lines. Again, for street, we just need to be smooth and steady throughout. In fact, I was once told that if a rider is dragging his knee on the streets, then he's actually riding slower than the street rider who's riding smooth from one turn to the next. It allows for more response time should an obstacle appear, and more reserve in your traction for the same reasons. In fact, on group rides, I tend to stay to the back of the faster group, and concentrate on being smooth. When the turns come, the brake lights come on. I practice to stay just as far back as i need to be, so that by the time I arrive at the turn, i had caught up the the last rider in the line, then I go in smooth, then focus on that until I exit the turn. My focus is to be right on them at the exit, as they accellerate hard down the straightaway to the next turn. Again, my focus is to stay smooth rolling the throttle, hopefully timing my accelleration and speed right so that by the time they hit the brakes going into the next turn, i would again "fall in line' right behind the last rider. If anything, it's alot of fun rather than just riding fast and hard along with everyone else.

It's worked for me in all those years, but I'm definitely looking forward to learning more when I hit the track. I'm sure it will help me be smoother on the streets, but not because i will take those newfound skills and literally ride the streets like it's now the new track, but because I hope to take those new principles I learn, and apply them, in theory, to applications on the streets.

I am more impressed when I see a rider being smooth as silk on the streets, whether they ride a sportbike, a cruiser, or a Gold Wing, then some hotshot riding too fast and dragging knee.

Short story: I was in the Hill Country once, and i saw in the horizon, ahead of me, a motorcyclist descending the same road, around the cliff's edge. I had to stop, pull over, and just watch this guy as he got got closer and closer, disappearing behind the rocks, then reappearing in such a smooth, smooth, SMOOTH, manner that I was almost mesmerized! Seriously, I think I heard a "hallelujah" and Jesus himself was on that bike!! /jk As he got closer, I realized he was on a new Gold Wing as he "swooshed" right by me. I kept watching him as he disappeared in the distance. You had to see it, but to me, THAT'S what riding on the streets is all about.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:51 PM   #79
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
16 R1200RS
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Good post Rob. I always liked riding "The Pace" style, and don't even use the brakes much. All that banzai-ing down the straights and hammering the brakes is for the track.. I would rather ride at 80 or so all day and enjoy it. The guys I ride with actually speed up for the corners and slow back down in the straights.

There is a place for hanging off a little on the street; you can keep the bike more upright and have options to change your line mid corner to dodge those holes and squirrels.... but not to the point of dragging knees.

A wise man once told me: "No matter how fine she is, just remember. Somewhere, someone is tired of her !"
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:18 PM   #80
robz1000
Finding My Mojo

Bike(s):
2014 HD Low Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark954rr View Post
That has got to be the most ignorant thing I have read here. They guy obviously wants to learn but your so awesome at riding that he cant ask a question without gettting bashed?

I've seen him ride and he is very conservative. U ride your own ride reguardless of being left behind or not.

What is so "dangerous?" You ride your OWN RIDE. Period. I would rather not have anyone go ride with me if they were afraid of there own skill (OF LACK THERE OF) cause that puts me in danger too. If U dont know what you're doing. Just STAY ur happy a$$ at the house. K. Thanks
LOL...it has nothing to do with "lack of skill" or being "afraid of their own skill". Advising someone to take a blind curve at digit speed on a public roadway is just plain dumb a$$ advise...I'll GLADLY ride alone and keep my happy a$$ away from dangerous riders.