MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

I have a few gun questions.

This morning i stopped at a shop looking for tools that I would need at the shop, and while I didn't find anything, the guns gaught my eye. Never having a gun of any kind before, and not evven firing one either, i wwas thinking on getting me one and learning to shoot.

I got me a S&W Sigma SW9VE, for 325 w/taxes, and I'm getting a 50 bucks back and two estra magazines. Good deal? what ya'll think?

i tried the 22 pistols and , they are so tiny it just doesnt feel confortable.

Now the questions.

1 where can i take a basic course? I guess anyone can pull the trigger, but I want to lear to do it proficiently, and also want to know the rules when transporting the gun, let's say, to the range.

2 I live in Tomball and liketo know where to practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sheriff's office reminds gun owners about importance of gun safety NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 03-02-2015 04:00 PM
N00b questions: What front forks do I have and TMGP tire questions E-Train Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 10-24-2013 08:04 AM
Did David Gregory just violate D.C. gun law by possessing a high-capacity gun clip? Rykoson Off Topic 7 12-30-2012 08:41 AM
More gun questions ZUlater Off Topic 21 11-24-2007 11:15 PM
Stun gun Shot gun? mr_joe Off Topic 0 07-10-2007 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

hook up with DVLRACER

he has the hook up on guns

I got the S&W SW40, never got to shoot it, cause of the wreck, but few people told me there not the best guns

I did dry fire it, the trigger pull is pretty high #

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
Rick H.I.C.
Got Surf? Snow? Track?

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
03' 600RR, 05' CR125, 88'NSR 250

I learned it country style. I let the city boys help you on this one.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #4
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (53)

Member Garage

Guns are dangerous
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
infidel
drpickles

sigma are cheap guns the 1st gen one had a ton of problems not aware of issue with the new ones but i doubt they are top quality. and 325 for a used sigma isnt a good deal. used ones on gunbroker for 250 all the time. no tax
Chlamydia. I think I might name my daughter Chlamydia.
infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:18 PM   #6
infidel
drpickles

what kinda training target? combat, competition?
Old 01-07-2008, 10:18 PM   #7
infidel
drpickles

hot wells on 290 is a decent range
Old 01-07-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

J/k, you most likely bought it from my shop, maybe even from me. I didn't get to work today until noon though because I had to pay some fines up in Huntsville. so if you were there before that then you missed me. PM me about going to shoot, I'll go with ya and show you the basics on that gun anyday if you buy the ammo. Breakdown of that gun is HELLA easy, it's the same as the glocks. As far as transporting, make sure it's concealed. Period. Loaded/unloaded doesn't matter, CHL or no CHL no difference, just has to be conceled. But don't take it out of your vehicle with you(besides shooting) unless you have a CHL. Shiloh Indoor Range is my favorite(I get a big discount ) it's just past Cutten off 1960 on the right side. Go to 1960 from Tomball, make a left onto 1960, pass Cutten and watch along the right side for a sign that says "Shiloh Indoor Range" or "Handgun Range" and points to the right.

~Keith
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
Old 01-07-2008, 10:23 PM   #9
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Leo,
You can go to Carter Country on Treschwig or there's a new range off of 1960 close to Willowbrook I've heard good things about.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:24 PM   #10
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidel View Post
sigma are cheap guns the 1st gen one had a ton of problems not aware of issue with the new ones but i doubt they are top quality. and 325 for a used sigma isnt a good deal. used ones on gunbroker for 250 all the time. no tax
Brand new $299.95 with $50 rebate and 2 EXTRA mags free(+ the 2 it already comes with) at my shop, which is where I imagine he bought it. Not the best gun, but excellent as a first gun or a simple truck/house gun. Definately not a Kimber when it comes to accuracy but I know of a few people that can shoot that firearm very well and love it for the price. As far as breakage, I hardly ever hear of any problems with them and I very rarely get any used ones in, Smith has great warranties too

~Keith
Old 01-07-2008, 10:25 PM   #11
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

Thanks keith, I was looking for ya, , but the salesman was good to me. I will definitely give you a call once i'm ready to try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #12
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
Brand new $299.95 with $50 rebate and 2 EXTRA mags free(+ the 2 it already comes with) at my shop, which is where I imagine he bought it. Not the best gun, but excellent as a first gun or a simple truck/house gun. Definately not a Kimber when it comes to accuracy but I know of a few people that can shoot that firearm very well and love it for the price. As far as breakage, I hardly ever hear of any problems with them and I very rarely get any used ones in, Smith has great warranties too

~Keith

when we going?

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:28 PM   #13
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Leo,
You can go to Carter Country on Treschwig or there's a new range off of 1960 close to Willowbrook I've heard good things about.
Yup, went and blew off well over $100 in ammo yesterday with a few customers of mine. Very nice indoor range. $16 a lane or you can share a lane for $10 a person. Go with me and you can have your own lane for $10. I really like the owners of Hot Wells and I do frequent there when I am looking to pop off a few rounds at 100 yds, but their handgun range leaves a lot to be desired, and American Shooting Center I can shoot up to 600 yds for $free. Hotcknstrips, I'll remember to bring their business cards into work tomorrow if you want to swing by and grab one you can. Also, if my coworker didn't show you the proper way to dissasemble that gun, swing by and I'll give you a real quick lesson on pulling it apart.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:28 PM   #14
infidel
drpickles

i thought it was used didn't snap to shop and tomball. i watched 3 sigma die at national when they came out and know multiple people that had problems at local matches. as far as smith warranty i know its good i swear by thier revos but i wouldnt use any of thier autos for anything but a paperwieght
Old 01-07-2008, 10:29 PM   #15
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcknstrips View Post
Thanks keith, I was looking for ya, , but the salesman was good to me. I will definitely give you a call once i'm ready to try it out.
Sorry man, you got the ONE day that I happened to not show up at 7:00 AM because of personal errands. What'd they say when you asked for me?

~Keith
Old 01-07-2008, 10:30 PM   #16
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmckee View Post

when we going?
We? Got a mouse in your pocket?

I was there this past Sunday so we'll probably be at American shooting rifles next Sunday but I'm pretty much game for whenever bro :thumbup

~Keith
Old 01-07-2008, 10:35 PM   #17
Cornbread
Cornelius Breadington

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
Huffy

Send a message via AIM to Cornbread Send a message via Yahoo to Cornbread
Didn't S&W get sued by Glock over the design of the Sigma?
Cornbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:38 PM   #18
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
Didn't S&W get sued by Glock over the design of the Sigma?
Quote:
Originally Posted by intraweb
Smith & Wesson introduced the Sigma series of recoil-operated, locked-breech semi-auto pistols in 1994 with the Sigma 40, followed by the Sigma 9. Sigma pistols bore so much similarity to Glocks that users could reportedly interchange many parts between Glock and Sigma models. The similarities were so great that many pundits referred to the Sigma series as "Swocks", a playful contraction of S&W and Glock. As a result, Glock initiated a patent infringement lawsuit against Smith & Wesson, which paid an undisclosed sum (the amount of three million dollars has been theorized) to Glock for infringement of their patents. S&W thereupon received the rights to continue the production of Sigma line.
~Keith
Old 01-07-2008, 10:39 PM   #19
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

Feedback Rating: (3)

2003 kawasaki z1000

Send a message via AIM to S_M_J82
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcknstrips View Post
This morning i stopped at a shop looking for tools that I would need at the shop, and while I didn't find anything, the guns gaught my eye. Never having a gun of any kind before, and not evven firing one either, i wwas thinking on getting me one and learning to shoot.

I got me a S&W Sigma SW9VE, for 325 w/taxes, and I'm getting a 50 bucks back and two estra magazines. Good deal? what ya'll think?

i tried the 22 pistols and , they are so tiny it just doesnt feel confortable.

Now the questions.

1 where can i take a basic course? I guess anyone can pull the trigger, but I want to lear to do it proficiently, and also want to know the rules when transporting the gun, let's say, to the range.

2 I live in Tomball and liketo know where to practice.
Do not get this gun!! i recently had this gun and traded it in and traded up. The gun does not shoot straight worth a and is unadjustable.. The only adjustment is left to right.. I would not recommend this gun at all. Unless it was for sheer safety to have for a last last last last resort of a shot... my 2 cents.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:43 PM   #20
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_M_J82 View Post
Do not get this gun!! i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcknstrips
I got me a S&W Sigma SW9VE

Read much?

To each their own, hopefully the gun just wasn't the right one for you and it will work out for him. I still say it's a great first gun, no reason to jump right up to the 1911's, and he'll be able to sell this one off at a gun show with the 4 mags for not much less than what he paid

Advertisement