MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
ATV gixxer Hybrid? anyone build one of these?

boutta throw a gsxr motor into a 400ex frame. anyone ever build a quad like this? what kind of problems did you encounter? im worried about the frame and swingarm not being strong enough to account for almost 8x the amount of power as the stock 400ex motor. im thinking once i get the motor mounted, i will stiffen the frame, and possibly get a new/stronger twin row carrier w/ better bearings, and possibly a stronger axle like durablue or something? im hoping is has hardened splines for the sprocket hub, as i would think i would possibly shear the splines off the stock hub w/ the added power? i plan on lowering the quad and widening it for better street handling. anyone know what a good wheel/tire combo would be for this thing? hopefully something that wont disintegrate @ +130mph
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a used hybrid, worth it? Helios Car Forum 35 10-18-2013 09:26 AM
R6/Rz500 hybrid RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 03-22-2013 12:51 AM
Honda Civic Hybrid RoadracerNC Off Topic 36 10-19-2010 07:52 PM
hybrid phones Duck84 Off Topic 8 02-26-2008 06:04 PM
new hybrid motorcycle ninjaxx General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 05-01-2006 11:01 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Kings Tire makes some street tires that should hold up to those speeds(key word should) I would run an 18"-19" tire, but that's just me. you will probably want to find a gussett kit for the frame, and have a competent welder put it in. The swingarm and frame should hold then, i know it's been done before. IMO, i would add a new axle for strenth, but i doubt you'll be shearing splines or sprocket teeth too often, you'll never get that much traction.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:19 AM   #3
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
Kings Tire makes some street tires that should hold up to those speeds(key word should) I would run an 18"-19" tire, but that's just me. you will probably want to find a gussett kit for the frame, and have a competent welder put it in. The swingarm and frame should hold then, i know it's been done before. IMO, i would add a new axle for strenth, but i doubt you'll be shearing splines or sprocket teeth too often, you'll never get that much traction.
i went to their website, and couldnt find anything that would fit an atv rim that is a street type tire. all they had for say a 10x5 wheel is knobbies/mud/sand tires. do you know the name of the tire? gusseting the frame is a good idea, im just worried about the swingarm/frame coneection twisting with all the torque, but ive seen quite a few of these hybrids on youtube... i think it should be ok.

thx
Old 11-29-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post
i went to their website, and couldnt find anything that would fit an atv rim that is a street type tire. all they had for say a 10x5 wheel is knobbies/mud/sand tires. do you know the name of the tire? gusseting the frame is a good idea, im just worried about the swingarm/frame coneection twisting with all the torque, but ive seen quite a few of these hybrids on youtube... i think it should be ok.

thx
i don't think it will ever get enough traction to hurt the swingarm. . .I've jumped 400ex's over 90 foot table tops repeatedly with no problems, i'm sure the quad can hold up to the power.

http://www.motostrano.com/durodi2014.html
http://www.motostrano.com/duro20192020.html
http://www.motostrano.com/durohf245.html
that's a start, i know i sould a set of kings tires to a guy with a banshee last year, but i can't find them anywhere
Old 11-29-2007, 11:32 AM   #5
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

anyone know where to get kart wheels in 4lug to fit atv wheel hub? or an atv conversion hub to fit kart wheels? that would be badass a set of kart wheels all around!
Old 11-29-2007, 11:34 AM   #6
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
anyone know where to get kart wheels in 4lug to fit atv wheel hub? or an atv conversion hub to fit kart wheels? that would be badass a set of kart wheels all around!
kart wheels are too small IMO, your gearing ratio would be so jacked up you'd have to start in fifth gear
Old 11-29-2007, 11:35 AM   #7
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
i don't think it will ever get enough traction to hurt the swingarm. . .I've jumped 400ex's over 90 foot table tops repeatedly with no problems, i'm sure the quad can hold up to the power.

http://www.motostrano.com/durodi2014.html
http://www.motostrano.com/duro20192020.html
http://www.motostrano.com/durohf245.html
that's a start, i know i sould a set of kings tires to a guy with a banshee last year, but i can't find them anywhere
thx, those will work. my rear is 8" dia though, so ima need to get a 9 or 10 inc rear wheel to run those tires
Old 11-29-2007, 11:39 AM   #8
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
thx, those will work. my rear is 8" dia though, so ima need to get a 9 or 10 inc rear wheel to run those tires
im talking about the treaded supermoto tires, the others have tires for 8" wheel. the supermoto tires look sick!
Old 11-29-2007, 11:42 AM   #9
maskale

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR Trackbike
2007 Warrior Midnight

hossier (how ever you spell it) makes tires that will fit, some DOT some slick.

a gusset kit is a must, lonestar makes a good double row carrier. Durra blue is no the best axle but better than stock. Tighten the out of your rear hub nuts, like 100ftlbs, it will keep them from moving around. The quad is so light it will wheelie before it starts to really stress the frame, or so it seems. Now if you had a wheelie bar and were hauling though the gears that could tweak some stuff.
maskale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:50 AM   #10
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

i plan on making a wheelie bar for the track. lol
Old 11-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #11
jus10

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
KX TooNifty

better make sure you balance those wheels real well! After 100mph on a quad, gets a little wild and it's not a time you want ANYTHING getting out of hand, especially on the street!
jus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #12
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

hopefully i dont have any problem wiring it up. i am not gonna be running any guages or lights. i just need an ignition/start/kill switch
Old 11-29-2007, 02:01 PM   #13
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I'll call Josh tonight about that motor...and I'll get back to ya. Been busy man, sorry.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #14
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuckzx7 View Post
I'll call Josh tonight about that motor...and I'll get back to ya. Been busy man, sorry.
ugpm

Advertisement