MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2007, 04:21 PM   #21
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

My father always told me "You can have a bike when you can afford the payments AND a place to live, cause you can't have one while living under my roof. Within 3 weeks of moving out I had an 850.
I waited a couple of months before I told my them. They were not happy but it was too late.
Now I'm 50 and my mom is 80. She still doesn't like to see me on a bike, and she tries not to think about the fact that I ride.
I never tell her about crashing.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
nothing more pathetic than a sucker punch tripspeed Off Topic 11 09-02-2014 11:08 AM
The definition of cuteness... ecclissiass Off Topic 3 11-21-2011 08:09 PM
definition of irony witchdoctor575 General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 07-10-2011 05:27 PM
Incredibly pathetic wanna-be body builder.(Vid) eltejano Off Topic 32 11-28-2009 01:18 PM
A Slobbering Love Affair: The True (and Pathetic) Story... RojerLockless Off Topic 9 03-05-2009 02:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2007, 04:30 PM   #22
Whorenet
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
cbr600, cbrxx 1100 blackbird, kazuma 110 derty, springer forked 1/2 chopper...more to come

User is banned

Whorenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:53 PM   #23
tarosean

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'99 ZX11/ '65 T120R/'93 Bandit

Hmmmm.... Our son is a member of this site... His mother was okay with him riding UNTIL we caught him standing up on his tank.
All sh*t hit the fan... and she is terrified of him riding on the street...
Luckily he has finally found a group to ride/practice stunts with so he doesn't do that on the street..
tarosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:54 PM   #24
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

i got lucky. nobody in my family had a problem with me getting a bike, even though im the ONLY one that does. the only comment made was "you shoulda got a REAL bike".

Bringing back the old school.
Azylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:07 PM   #25
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

I was out of the house so young I had to tell them when i got a truck!!! A few weeks later i rolled up on my R6 and my dad wanted to ride!!! i finally gave up on riding the streets about 4 months ago and my mom said it's the first time she's had a good nights sleep in almost ten years. . .
Old 11-20-2007, 06:15 PM   #26
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

um...both my parents know. my dad loves to ride.

but um...the SO...well that's another story. It's okay, I'll let her wear the pants.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:42 PM   #27
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
My family didn't even notice the busa sitting next to the katana for about a week.... Oh well...
Old 11-20-2007, 06:46 PM   #28
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

I took a couple of weeks to tell my parents. After they saw me riding up every so often on borrowed bikes they knew it was only a matter of time. They weren't too concerned with me riding since I rode off and on growing up, but never owned a bike. They figured I did enough damage on a BMX bike and then sportscars to be happy without seeing me on a motorcycle of my own.

After a few weeks they grew comfortable with the fact, but worry more so about the other traffic which I think is fairly standard for most people.

Like others have said though, my personal suggestion is to tell them, or her, in your case. I think the better of the two possibilties is more likely to be there should an unfortunate event happen or even if you have a minor get off at some point and need her help. I don't see much reason for grown adults to keep too many secrets from immediate family, but then again, not all families are understanding to even the slightest degree.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:10 PM   #29
dirtyrice411
Staying Stoned

Bike(s):
03 R1 Limited Edition.

Send a message via AIM to dirtyrice411
everyone in my family hates bikes except my half brother who is now 30(always wanted one but had a kid really young and could never get one). I am the only rider. I told my parents and they didn't want me on one. I told them to eat im a grown man and I bought it with the sweat off my sore back. they stfu real quick and now don't give a what I'm on.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:14 PM   #30
sixshooter1125
Shiver me timbers

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 Harley Roadking
2007 CRF450r
2005 CR125r
2004 R6 *sold*
2001 xr50

I raced motrcross all my life, it was always a family thing. But when it came to the streets, it was a diff story. I bought my first bike when I moved out. Had a bad car accident and sold the bike before my parents even knew I had it. Bought my R6 last year, and I ride it constantly. The folks just worry..

My inlaws, oh geez they are TOTTALLY oppisite! They worry hardcore!
sixshooter1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:29 AM   #31
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
I always had something motorized growing up, which helped me I think. I told my mom I wanted one, and she HATED the thought of me riding on the streets. Then she saw me looking at a bunch of good expensive gear and wondered why I would spend so much on it. I explained that I knew what I wanted to do was dangerous, and wanted to better my odds. Ever since then she doesn't mind.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:20 AM   #32
TXOUTLAW
UNEMPLOYED B/F

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2000 TL 1000
99 TL 1000
02 HD NIGHT TRAIN

Cool LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstrs View Post
Cut the cord, my mom gave up on me in my teens.

+1
TXOUTLAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:27 AM   #33
Jay
Deleted

Experience: 5 years

my family was ok with it..........but when my cousin wrecked and had to be life flighted,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, my aunts and girl cousins gave me an earful about giving up riding................ in time it died down............. still it was hard to see them cry........... i ride a heck of alot more carefully since then
Old 11-21-2007, 09:19 AM   #34
PoPoRiderRR
NO MO BIKE guy!

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 CBR 1000 RR *** SOLD ***

I waited about 4 months to tell my parents... it was funny bc I told my dad while we were at lunch... here I am in my uniform and I have this guy scolding me... I know he is my dad but Im sure other people thought it was funny to see this older man jumping all over some cops azz...
Old 11-21-2007, 09:34 AM   #35
BrutusTx

Member Garage

I'm 48 and my parents hate me riding and still give me about the bikes ALL the time. My mom hates tatoos too.........and I get a lecture about that everytime I get a new one.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:41 AM   #36
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

My whole family rides so I can't relate. They do tell me at 36 that I should get off of the "kiddy coma maker" and get a real bike like theirs. They all ride Goldwings and Ultra Classics, etc...
They rode to Alaska lat year and have been to Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon several times.
My cousin in San Antonio baught a Fat Boy and everybody is okay with that but when I pulled up on the Gixxer, all broke loose.
I think my next bike will be a ST1300 to settle them down.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:25 PM   #37
Neversatisfied02

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 1000
2007 Kawi ZX10R (SOLD)
2006 Kawi ZX6R (SOLD)
2005 Suzuki GSXR 600 (SOLD)

My parents used to trip that i have a bike but now that im on my 3rd one, they dont mind much anymore... Just tell me to be careful when i ride but they know im responsible...
Neversatisfied02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:57 PM   #38
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversatisfied02 View Post
My parents used to trip that i have a bike but now that im on my 3rd one, they dont mind much anymore... Just tell me to be careful when i ride but they know im responsible...

Yeah my wife tripped when I bought my 3rd bike.

Guess what she said...

That's right, "You can only ride one at a time".

She's cool with it now, she's pretty understanding that they are for different things.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:36 AM   #39
Stacy
One day at a time!

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
99 Ninja 250
04 Honda f4i

Parents are usually pretty understanding. I was nervous telling my parents because I thought for sure they would try to talk me out of it or give me a guilt trip about being the only parent my kids have and what would happen if something happened to me. Instead they shocked me by telling me I could just as easily die in a car accident, crossing the street, drowning or a million other different ways.
I had already scheduled the MSF class and told them I was going to be responsible and start out on a 250cc even though I grew up riding everything from ATVs to dirtbikes. I understood all the dangers and not to worry because I would be wearing my lid at all times while on the bike. Both were extremely cool about it and told me that they trusted my judgement and that if it made me happy then to go for it. Since then, I've lost a cousin and the son of a very close family friend to motorcycle accidents(both were due to excessive speed and both died from head trama). I've asked them if they still feel comfortable with me riding or would rather that I didn't, but they both told me that no matter what they will always worry but they know I ride safe, control my speed and do whatever is in my power to lower my odds of dying while on the bike, however, if I die doing something that makes me happy then so be it. They care more that I enjoy life and do the things that make me happy, more so then living scared, and at the end having a life full of regrets.

Advertisement