MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 08:09 AM   #21
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
i dont think someone would bite the had that feeds them that would be stupid.. and in that case blackballing isnt gana fix anything losing a friend would be more than enough... :confused1
For me, it was a different kind of thing. Sponsoring a rider (or team) that had no problem soliciting you for support and then neglects to even put your sticker on or list you as a sponsor... :confused1

Subtle reminders and supplying them with sponsor stickers and still no action.

They come back following years to expect support again, and get upset when they don't get it!

I'm with Patrick on this one, I have been more eager to throw my support to people who are new to the sport and truly appreciate your help.

Shops like Patrick's and Andy's are rare in this business. I think I exemplefied that in my little bio write-up. When I was coming in to the sport and when I started riding in the early '80s, shops seemed like they were just out to "get" you. Cycle Parts + was one of the only shops that I felt like I could trust then, and when one of the partners died, that shop folded up. Kawasaki of Stafford offered me support (on my Honda...) and I trusted them too. They folded up also.

See a trend?

This industry doesn't reward integrity or ethical business practices very well. It seems that the shady and less credible business in this industry are the ones that last the longest!

I thing we (riders and racers) are to blame partly... but it's getting better!

I am truly grateful to Patrick and some of our local shops for being credible and stand-up. I think that is a trend that is contagious, and I think that their ethical practices can/ will change the business!

Thanks guys!
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
newenough sponsorship RACER X Taking it to the Track 3 01-09-2008 12:08 PM
TMGP Sponsorship hotnanas Ridesmart Motorcycle School 2 04-30-2007 12:59 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2007, 09:45 AM   #22
mad
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Suzuki M50

User is banned

mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #23
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Excellent words on this kind of topic. Many of us may never know the true meaning of being a sponsored rider or sponsored anything for that matter but, I can personally speak on the topic that if you lose site of the people who are helping you, then those people will begin to lose site of you. I have personally seen professional careers go down the toilet because the individual forgot what loyalty meant.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:25 AM   #24
Prodigy

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Honda 1000rr
Kawasaki ZX6r
Honda CBR F4i
Suzuki Gsxr750
T-Rex

Member Garage

Think about Dave Mirra he was on top of the Bmx world and Haro dropped him becuase his attitude was shitty
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #25
Swift E

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Subtle reminders and supplying them with sponsor stickers and still no action.

Thanks guys!

On this NOTE: I still need the RED -T- for my sticker mang!

I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money and you can keep The Change!
Swift E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #26
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
Excellent words on this kind of topic. Many of us may never know the true meaning of being a sponsored rider or sponsored anything for that matter but, I can personally speak on the topic that if you lose site of the people who are helping you, then those people will begin to lose site of you. I have personally seen professional careers go down the toilet because the individual forgot what loyalty meant.
What do you mean by loyalty? I think Motorcycles Unlimited and crew do a great job and are honest folks. If I ever need any major work done with my bike I'll send it up there for sure. Now, if I need to do an oil change (which I do myself 90% of the time) am I not showing loyalty if I purchase the filter and oil from somewhere else or if I have another shop perform the oil change??? If your answer is yes then I suppose that sometimes convenience can override loyalty.:eh: Nice write up Patrick
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #27
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Patrick, that reminds me when my parents had a car tuning shop in Germany where they sold lots of mods for cars as well. Actually, we had our own production (entire spoiler kits and rims).

Folks walked into the shop and my stepdad sat down with them for 2 hours telling them all the things they can do to their car and gave them a list of parts, etc. Only for them folks to turn around and find another place where they'd get it cheaper! Then, if something didn't work, they came back to him and asked how to fix it. My dad, knowing well that they would just go and fix it themselves if he told them, just lost his patience and yelled at them and kicked them out. Needless to say, he wasn't a good salesman but who can blame him.

Now, I would almost ask for charging it as 'consulting'. I mean, had he worked on a car (he also had a repairshop) in the meantime, he would've gotten paid.

It is hard to see this from a business owner's perspective for some folks, but it is rough out there. And it doesn't get easier, when folks take advantage of you only to be out for themselves. Bills gotta be paid on both ends at the end of the month.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:52 AM   #28
level5
moving chicane

It's a sad thing but happens everyday in every business.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #29
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

here's my 2 cents...

I good and honest mechanic is hard to find. Example, I have owned Z cars most all my adult life...When I bought my first one, I could here some grinding coming from under the shifter...I called to check prices and took it in to a few shops...All of them tried to hose me for a few grand saying it was this or that. I went to a local shop called called Z Cars by Clark in Nashville. He told me it was a seven dollar shifter boot and it completely solved my problem. He made more $ on me in the long run because he received all my business plus the tons of referrals I sent his way.

My point, now that bikes are my thing I have found those same qualities in Patrick and the Motorcycles Unlimited shop. As long as I live in Houston they will always have my business. Thanks for having a great shop!

Now if I can only find a good attorney in Houston....

GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:14 AM   #30
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Member Garage

I think Patrick is looking more along the lines of...
racer so & so in January says yes I'll run under your banner & support this year, running these tires, this suspension and wearing this gear. & the first race weekend comes around & BAM
He is on other tires, suspension & wear who knows what kind of gear.

IF you agree to a "deal" be it special pricing, free stuff....whatever. You don't just change your mind. A deal is a deal. I've seen more than one case where a racer will turncoat on a great deal that he already agreed to.
If you want to hold off and look for greener pastures then let all the parties involved know, but don't "take" the deal and keep shopping around. That just ties things up for no reason at all.

I think that is what Pat was trying to convey. Kind of a message to the up and coming racers on these boards. If you make a decision to go in one direction, stick by it.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:22 AM   #31
Swift E

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

What do Sponsors offer Racers and Race teams other than discounted parts and service?

I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money and you can keep The Change!
Swift E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #32
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

John,
It's some what you said and more.
Most of the posts do a good job to reflect on the point I was trying to convey.

Fay's in particular hit home as well.

I can't count how many times I've sat down with someone, discussing in depth how to make their bike faster or handle better, or advising them on what fits and what doesn't only to see them at some point later.

Often times they're back because they had a problem installing the parts they bought somewhere else, or they weren't installed properly by someone else.

Don't even get me started about sponsoring riders / organizations.:eh:
(Note for the Drama Queens, I am not referring to MH)
You and I have both been there, as has Tom and anyone else that's been involved in the sport for a while.

I had been considering posting this thread since I found that scrap of paper I wrote so very long ago. I'm glad I did.

Although at times it may come across negatively, hopefully this thread will "enlighten" some people to support those that support them, not just my shop, but in general.

Like I said originally, I do it mainly because I love the sport, AND because there are many people who DO appreciate the support / return loyalty given.

To those people I wholeheartedly say;

icon_thumicon_thumTHANKS!! icon_thumicon_thum

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #33
azoomm

Bike(s):
Ducati 998
KTM 450 EXC tarded
Ducati M900
BMW F800GS
Ducati Hyper EVO SP

Send a message via Yahoo to azoomm
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
I think Patrick is looking more along the lines of...
racer so & so in January says yes I'll run under your banner & support this year, running these tires, this suspension and wearing this gear. & the first race weekend comes around & BAM
He is on other tires, suspension & wear who knows what kind of gear.

IF you agree to a "deal" be it special pricing, free stuff....whatever. You don't just change your mind. A deal is a deal. I've seen more than one case where a racer will turncoat on a great deal that he already agreed to.
If you want to hold off and look for greener pastures then let all the parties involved know, but don't "take" the deal and keep shopping around. That just ties things up for no reason at all.

I think that is what Pat was trying to convey. Kind of a message to the up and coming racers on these boards. If you make a decision to go in one direction, stick by it.

John
And, understand that your word (with a handshake) actually does mean something.

Great thread.
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #34
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift E View Post
What do Sponsors offer Racers and Race teams other than discounted parts and service?
It all depends on the level of sponsorship. A rider like Larry Meyers gets a bike, some suspension support and parts, plus tires (just an example, I don't know if that is exactly what he gets) for free or seriously discounted because he attends every race, usually podiums or gets close to it, and finished the season on the podium overall. Not to mention he does some national and regional AMA and/ or WERA events. This all equates to exposure for the product/ service.

Any racer can get rider support from some companies like Marrietta Motorsports or Lockhart Phillips. You only need to have a current license (not provisional) and fill out their paperwork before the season starts. Usually, the level of support varies depending on how well the rider does on the previous year(s), level of exposure they gain (press releases and magazine appearances), and the level of racing (local, regional and national series).

There are some who get free tires, some who get parts at cost, some who get parts at cost minus XX%, some who get services discounted XX%, some who get free services.

I like to give support to those that support our racing series. I may be able to shop around and get a different or "better" price, but I like to keep local businesses (who DESERVE my money) like Motorcycles Unlimited, Metric, SCRC, etc who support the CMRA around. It's just good for everyone involved.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:51 AM   #35
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift E View Post
Depending on their level, I've negotiated 1/2 price helmets or boots from the distributors, free parts, brakes, tires, service, tuning, technical assistance, etc.

For the right racers, I've gotten free leathers, gloves, boots and helmets for my riders.

I've provided free transportation, parts discounted WAY below dealer cost etc.

I can think of at least 3 TMGP teams this year that EACH got a $250.00 store credit with us.

When I was the Dunlop dealer, we had some racers receive as many as 60 tires free.

The point being, even if it's something as large as a 60 tire support, or as seemingly as insignificant as answering the phone on Sunday to walk someone through a technical issue, it still has an intrinsic value.

Erik,
You've stood by us from day one, and for that we appreciate it!

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:55 AM   #36
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
Missing: Naked SV650, FZ1, Night Hawk
Best Upgrade:Sv650 Suspension full credit (Motorcycles Unlimited)

Member Garage

Good write up Patrick.thanks for sharing.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:50 PM   #37
logan5

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

When I was living in California, I was big into R/C nitro road cars, racing them and what not. It was frustrating watching hobby shops one by one close down as they lost business to the internet. Where was I going to go to get advice, shoot the t and make friends? Sure I would end up paying more in the long run getting parts special ordered from them, but the personal face time and friendships are priceless in every way.

There were many heated debates on the forums about how LHS (local hobby stores) simply needed to lower prices if they wanted to compete ... these people just simply missed to point.

Customer loyalty runs both ways.
logan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:56 PM   #38
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuckzx7 View Post
What do you mean by loyalty? I think Motorcycles Unlimited and crew do a great job and are honest folks. If I ever need any major work done with my bike I'll send it up there for sure. Now, if I need to do an oil change (which I do myself 90% of the time) am I not showing loyalty if I purchase the filter and oil from somewhere else or if I have another shop perform the oil change??? If your answer is yes then I suppose that sometimes convenience can override loyalty.:eh: Nice write up Patrick
I think you missed the point. Do you have a professional career that is maintained by sponsorship?

Old 08-06-2007, 05:05 PM   #39
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Depending on their level, I've negotiated 1/2 price helmets or boots from the distributors, free parts, brakes, tires, service, tuning, technical assistance, etc.

For the right racers, I've gotten free leathers, gloves, boots and helmets for my riders.

I've provided free transportation, parts discounted WAY below dealer cost etc.

I can think of at least 3 TMGP teams this year that EACH got a $250.00 store credit with us.

When I was the Dunlop dealer, we had some racers receive as many as 60 tires free.

The point being, even if it's something as large as a 60 tire support, or as seemingly as insignificant as answering the phone on Sunday to walk someone through a technical issue, it still has an intrinsic value.

Erik,
You've stood by us from day one, and for that we appreciate it!

Thank You for all your support Patrick!

Old 08-06-2007, 05:10 PM   #40
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
I think you missed the point. Do you have a professional career that is maintained by sponsorship?
Sure enough do, I go everyday and every other week they sponsor me by giving me a checkJ/K!!! Actually, maybe I did miss the point. I thought originally he was explaining through words of advice and experience that "we" should be obligated to in return bring all of our business there. I see now he was picking a bone with people he has given money, parts, etc. too and then been backstabbed later down the road by not advertising for him or even diregarding the fact that they he had helped them. Got it now....I think:eh:
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote