MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2016, 10:20 PM   #1
boulevardc50

Feedback Rating: (0)

replace crankcase or motor

I know very little about motors so please excuse if a dumb question. I threw a rod out the bottom of my 07 suzuki boulevard c50. should I replace the entire motor or just the crankcase. How much can I expect to pay for each job. I see cases for about $200 and motors for about $1500. My motor is in good shape as far as i know except for the hole in the bottom.
boulevardc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seafoam in Crankcase Rowdy76 Car Forum 19 08-13-2014 07:57 PM
Crankcase welded? messiah General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 02-23-2014 03:35 PM
crankcase cover question! prettyboy69 How To's and Q & A's 6 03-29-2010 03:18 PM
Crankcase Splitting Trick dudewhrsmybike General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 02-09-2009 02:31 PM
easy way to replace head gasket w/out removing motor in a f4I rippedr1 How To's and Q & A's 5 07-07-2006 09:49 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2016, 10:28 PM   #2
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Replace whole engine. Labor and parts will cost more than used engine
Old 07-19-2016, 10:32 PM   #3
Rttoys
CMRA 982

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard

The case is $200, but how much is the crank, rods, pistons, and probably a cylinder or two, plus maybe heads if the pistons tapped them? Did the transmission take on any damage?

Has it been torn apart and at least had a visual on what is damaged? Usually when you "throw a rod", it's a catastrophic failure. Buy a new engine.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:10 PM   #4
supadupa

Feedback Rating: (3)

engine

Replace the engine.....

but shop around more. I've given a c50 engine away before. I would expect that you can find one for 400 or probably less. Plenty of wrecked bikes out there and that engine is not in high demand.
supadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-19-2016, 11:13 PM   #5
boulevardc50

Thanks for the help. I will be on the lookout for a new engine
boulevardc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:59 PM   #6
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'11 HD Softail Fatboy
'06 HD StreetRod VRSCR

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
The case is $200, but how much is the crank, rods, pistons, and probably a cylinder or two, plus maybe heads if the pistons tapped them? Did the transmission take on any damage?

Has it been torn apart and at least had a visual on what is damaged? Usually when you "throw a rod", it's a catastrophic failure. Buy a new engine.
What can cause that failure?

Thank you.
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:21 PM   #7
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
'08 GSX-R 600 (for sale, inquire within)
'08 Hypermotard (borrowed, ATM)
Russian POS ??

Member Garage

over-revving, a valve or other hard part contacting a piston during compression/exhaust stroke, flaw in the rod material that fatigues and spreads a crack over time...

etc.

it's basically a descriptor for mechanical failure where the rod/piston is detached from the crank. with everything spinning inside the engine, if it's no longer attached, it just gets flung around.

Last edited by Jae; 07-22-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #8
Rttoys
CMRA 982

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapata View Post
What can cause that failure?

Thank you.
Usually an over rev situation (red line) is the culprit. Now, with rev limiters, we rarely see this, though. odds are the OP has some sort of Power Commander that probably set the rev limit higher or eliminated it. Constant high revs can wear parts quickly, causing failure.

Good old fashioned oil and filter can play a part too. If oil is not getting to and protecting vital parts, they will seize.

For the most part, when an engine "throws a rod", it will be at high rpm and usually due to lack of lubrication, a piston ring will end up seizing. With all the force still being pushed by the piston, the weakest parts (connecting rod) will bend. Bending turns into snapping and with the engine still trying to rotate, part are going to go where ever they wish. With exploding everywhere, just about everything gets damaged.

There are other variables and factors, but that's the basics of it. It could easily be a defective part or a bad design somewhere.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:29 PM   #9
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'11 HD Softail Fatboy
'06 HD StreetRod VRSCR

Member Garage

!! I normally up-shift around 4,500 - 5,000 RPM's, the rev limiter on the Victorys is at 5,500 RPM's. Am I over doing it? Sorry for going off-topic.
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:01 PM   #10
ZX-Dominance

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapata View Post
!! I normally up-shift around 4,500 - 5,000 RPM's, the rev limiter on the Victorys is at 5,500 RPM's. Am I over doing it? Sorry for going off-topic.
No youre fine. The factory limiter is likely a good 10% or more below anything that would be considered damaging.

Would the motor last longer shifting at 4k rather than 5k? Maybe... probably... but who knows.

Shift before the power drops, or whenever it feels best, and dont bounce off the limter, itll be fine
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement