MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2016, 07:06 PM   #181
pinball
I got slow

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhilB View Post
This is good.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ow-their-lead/

An article to forward to your legislator.

50mph? Man, I shot low with my letter.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TX Bill for lane splitting goes to committee (yes, another lane splitting thread) exalted512 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-14-2011 05:35 PM
Lane Splitting in Texas? How about in Russia? Tojo92 General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 12-12-2010 03:55 AM
Texas Bill: SB 506 - Lane Splitting hotnanas General Discussion (Moto Related) 88 03-19-2009 01:44 PM
Texas Lane splitting. Get it passed! lazy-boy General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 02-20-2009 10:35 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2016, 07:16 AM   #182
JPhilB

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Ducati 1098
Honda 919
Suzuki GS500E (sold long ago)

Okay, it is not our turn Texas.

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/cal...ate-1784850809
JPhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:41 PM   #183
Paul1098

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Multistrada S
Ducati 916 Track

[QUOTE=JPhilB;4025726]Okay, it is not our turn Texas.

"it is not our turn"...what does that mean?
Paul1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #184
Shuhboogie
I cant reMember

Bike(s):
'14 Interceptor
'11 CBR250R
'73 CB350FOUR

I think he meant "now"
Shuhboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:20 PM   #185
JPhilB

Bike(s):
Ducati 1098
Honda 919

D'oh. Yes, meant NOW. That would be a typo.

Should have just said "Bring it on!"
Old 12-01-2016, 10:28 AM   #186
JPhilB

Bike(s):
Ducati 1098
Honda 919

Don't we have another Texas legislature session about to start? Time to bring this back up??
Liked this post:
Old 12-01-2016, 10:51 AM   #187
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhilB View Post
Don't we have another Texas legislature session about to start? Time to bring this back up??

I've sent letters to my Reps months ago. Thompson's camp responded saying they'd look into it. Pre-filing is over, so now we just wait and see if a bill gets filed, then write our Reps and the transportation committees to get it to the floor for a vote.
Liked this post:
Old 12-13-2016, 02:01 PM   #188
HS Driver

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki V-Strom 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
I've sent letters to my Reps months ago. Thompson's camp responded saying they'd look into it. Pre-filing is over, so now we just wait and see if a bill gets filed, then write our Reps and the transportation committees to get it to the floor for a vote.
Keep us updated please..
HS Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:09 PM   #189
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS Driver View Post
Keep us updated please..

A bill was filed on 12/9, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. They missed the November deadline for pre-filing, so it likely won't make it out of committee. I'm going to draft a letter and start harassing both transportation committees in January.
Liked this post:
Old 12-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #190
rhenriksen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

I'm not so sure that a failure to prefile means the bill is doomed. I've emailed (and called) Watson's office to thank him for filing the bill, and will be reaching out to my senator next.

https://legiscan.com/TX/text/SB288/2017
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:53 AM   #191
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post
I'm not so sure that a failure to prefile means the bill is doomed. I've emailed (and called) Watson's office to thank him for filing the bill, and will be reaching out to my senator next.

https://legiscan.com/TX/text/SB288/2017

Not necessarily doomed, but bills that aren't ore-filed rarely make it to the floor for a vote.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:38 PM   #192
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

I could live with this:

Quote:
A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT
relating to the operation and movement of motorcycles on certain
highways during periods of traffic congestion.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTIONA1.AASection 545.060, Transportation Code, is amended
by amending Subsection (a) and adding Subsection (e) to read as
follows:
(a)An operator on a roadway divided into two or more
clearly marked lanes for traffic:
(1)shall drive as nearly as practical entirely within
a single lane, except as provided by Subsection (e); and
(2)may not move from the lane unless that movement can
be made safely.
(e)The operator of a motorcycle operating on a
limited-access or controlled-access highway may operate the
motorcycle for a safe distance between lanes of traffic moving in
the same direction during periods of traffic congestion if the
operator operates the motorcycle:
(1)at a speed not more than five miles per hour
greater than the speed of the other traffic; and
(2)in traffic that is moving at a speed of 20 miles
per hour or less.
SECTIONA2.This Act takes effect September 1, 2017.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:38 PM   #193
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLoo...85R&Bill=SB288
Liked this post:
Old 12-15-2016, 01:56 AM   #194
rccarlson22

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650

Quote:
I could live with this:
What's the next step?
rccarlson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:16 AM   #195
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccarlson22 View Post
What's the next step?

Write letters to the members of the transportation committee urging them to push it through to the floor for a vote.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:17 AM   #196
rccarlson22

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati Diavel
2006 Suziki GSXR 600
2002 Kawasaki KX250
1996 Kawasaki KLX 650

Quote:
Write letters to the members of the transportation committee urging them to push it through to the floor for a vote.
I'm more than willing to write letters, can you direct me where to send them?
rccarlson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:30 AM   #197
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccarlson22 View Post
I'm more than willing to write letters, can you direct me where to send them?

http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/se.../c640/c640.htm

You'll have to click on each of the members' names and use the web form. Last time I tried, only about half would go through. I'll be sending mailed letters and faxes to the offices of the members with non-working web forms.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #198
Jonstrocity

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2003 Honda 919
2006 ninja 650R (sold)
2001 ninja 250 (sold)

I really hope we can get this passed, I have put together a canned letter with the help of my local riding group with some statistics that yall can feel free to share.

Dear [Representative name here],

I am writing you today to express support for Texas SB288 which relates to motorcycle operation and movement under certain highway conditions. This bill would regulate the safe and controlled manner in which motorcycles can filter between cars in heavy traffic.
Ideally the focus of attention for operators of motorcycles would consist solely of road condition analysis to avoid incident. In 2014 there were over 3,000 fatalities and 431,000 injuries in incidents that involved distracted driving. This removes the ability of the operator to focus on safely operating their vehicle and necessitates an unnecessary vigilance towards their fellow operators. In heavy traffic, accidents in which a motorist is contacted unaware from a vehicle slowing to a stop is a real threat owing to distracted drivers. Without the extra protection of a car, a low speed incident in traffic proves to be serious and often life threatening to unsuspecting motorists. In a study by UC Berkeley, a dramatic decrease in the likelihood of a rear end collision was observed when operators lane split safely thereby reducing the likelihood of severe injury occurring.

Filtering, or lane splitting is the act of moving between cars in periods of heavy traffic, provides benefits to every motorist on the road. When an operator filters safely within the legal guidelines provided by SB288 this effectively results in a decrease in the number of vehicles occupying positions in traffic. In a study performed on Belgian roadways an estimated 10 % reduction in traffic congestion was observed upon allowing motorcycles to filter in traffic. This reduction resulted in a decrease in total vehicle emissions by 6% offering a net positive environmental impact with no modification to current infrastructure required.

With the continual population growth observed in all US cities a reduction in motor vehicle traffic is unlikely to occur spontaneously. I propose that we proactively take measures to stave the increase in congestion in the same manner that many developed nations around the world have already employed. These countries possess a larger percentage of motorists that commute via motorcycle however demonstrate a decreased incident rate owing to the ability to safely lane split and filter as proposed in this bill. In addition the American motorcyclist association (AMA) officially recognizes the benefits of filtering and endorses the legalization and regulation of this behavior.

With your support of SB288, we can make the roads safer for motorcyclists, reduce roadway congestion and provide a measurable positive impact on our environment. On behalf of my fellow motorcycle operators I would like to thank you and your office for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you in regards to SB288 and the continued improvement of our motorways.

Sincerely,
[your name here]
Jonstrocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-15-2016, 09:29 PM   #199
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Here's my draft:

I am writing to request that you support SB 288, which would allow for lane filtering on motorcycles and mopeds in stopped and slow moving traffic.

The NHTSA recognized that it is safer for motorcycles to remain in motion than to sit in stop-and-go traffic due to the risk of rear end collisions. Because of this, the NHTSA allowed motorcycles on HOV lanes, even when not carrying a passenger. Like rear end collisions, heat exhaustion and dehydration (covered in both the Motorcycle Safety Foundation curriculum and the Texas DPS Motorcycle Operator’s Manual) are real dangers for motorcyclists. In addition to reducing the likelihood of rear end collisions, lane filtering would reduce motorcycle riders’ exposure to heat during the summer months.

A less immediately apparent benefit to lane filtering would be the reduction of congestion on Texas roads, as it would free up spaces in traffic for cars and trucks. Currently, there aren’t enough motorcycles on Texas roads to see a huge impact on congestion, but according to TXDOT, the number of registered motorcycles more than doubled from 2000 to 2010. If this trend continues, it will not take long for the effects of lane filtering on congestion to be seen in metropolitan areas.

There are many videos available on the Internet that show motorcyclists speeding and weaving in and out of traffic that is already travelling the posted speed limit, but this is not lane filtering. It is reckless driving, and laws are in place to penalize drivers that operate any vehicles in this manner. Lane filtering, performed when traffic is moving at 20mph or less, is extremely safe and efficient. California and most European countries have allowed lane filtering for many years, and New South Wales, Australia recently conducted a study that led to the legalization of lane filtering in 2014. The synopsis of that study can be found here:

http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov....ring/faqs.html

As a member of the Committee on Transportation, your support of SB 288 is crucial. As such, I ask that you vote in favor of SB 288 and allow it to reach the chamber floor for a vote. I also ask that if the opportunity arises, you lend additional support by co-sponsoring a lane filtering bill presented by another [representative senator].
Thank you very much for taking the time to consider and to listen to support for lane filtering. Like thousands of other motorcyclists, I eagerly await lane filtering in Texas becoming a reality.

Sincerely,
Old 12-16-2016, 07:28 AM   #200
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'17 CBR1000S1 Red
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Here's my draft:

I am writing to request that you support SB 288, which would allow for lane filtering on motorcycles and mopeds in stopped and slow moving traffic.

The NHTSA recognized that it is safer for motorcycles to remain in motion than to sit in stop-and-go traffic due to the risk of rear end collisions. Because of this, the NHTSA allowed motorcycles on HOV lanes, even when not carrying a passenger. Like rear end collisions, heat exhaustion and dehydration (covered in both the Motorcycle Safety Foundation curriculum and the Texas DPS Motorcycle Operatorís Manual) are real dangers for motorcyclists. In addition to reducing the likelihood of rear end collisions, lane filtering would reduce motorcycle ridersí exposure to heat during the summer months.

A less immediately apparent benefit to lane filtering would be the reduction of congestion on Texas roads, as it would free up spaces in traffic for cars and trucks. Currently, there arenít enough motorcycles on Texas roads to see a huge impact on congestion, but according to TXDOT, the number of registered motorcycles more than doubled from 2000 to 2010. If this trend continues, it will not take long for the effects of lane filtering on congestion to be seen in metropolitan areas.

There are many videos available on the Internet that show motorcyclists speeding and weaving in and out of traffic that is already travelling the posted speed limit, but this is not lane filtering. It is reckless driving, and laws are in place to penalize drivers that operate any vehicles in this manner. Lane filtering, performed when traffic is moving at 20mph or less, is extremely safe and efficient. California and most European countries have allowed lane filtering for many years, and New South Wales, Australia recently conducted a study that led to the legalization of lane filtering in 2014. The synopsis of that study can be found here:

http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov....ring/faqs.html

As a member of the Committee on Transportation, your support of SB 288 is crucial. As such, I ask that you vote in favor of SB 288 and allow it to reach the chamber floor for a vote. I also ask that if the opportunity arises, you lend additional support by co-sponsoring a lane filtering bill presented by another [representative senator].
Thank you very much for taking the time to consider and to listen to support for lane filtering. Like thousands of other motorcyclists, I eagerly await lane filtering in Texas becoming a reality.

Sincerely,
Can you throw a rider in there about hands free only?
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement