MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2015, 01:08 PM   #141
Flip Flop

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNut View Post
Phew, almost ready to really not like you!
Don't act like you don't get hammered and ride across town, subsequently almost rear ending someone
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driver runs off the road, crashes into fire station NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 05-23-2014 07:40 AM
No injuries after school bus runs off road NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 03-07-2014 10:20 AM
Moto cop runs down girl then shoots father atexanone Off Topic 42 08-15-2012 05:01 PM
Austin Cop Runs Red Light And Hits 78 Year Old Motorcyclist ormand General Discussion (Moto Related) 55 07-03-2010 12:38 PM
Federal Cop guilty of Road rage! He runs a biker down! ScooterTrash Off Topic 3 04-14-2006 08:46 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2015, 01:15 PM   #142
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
stop.

dumb again.
Thank for your well thought out response. Obviously you gave it your best critique.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-31-2015, 01:24 PM   #143
Toe
Banned

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
Ducati multistrada
BMW k 1600 GTL exclusive :)

User is banned

Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-31-2015, 01:41 PM   #144
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Thank for your well thought out response. Obviously you gave it your best critique.
less words the better.

yours were wasted keystrokes.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:44 PM   #145
slim_grizzy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2007 Triumph Daytona 675
2015 Ducati Scrambler UE
2009 Ducati Monster 696 (sold)

Quote:
Is it possible it was an accident?
Maybe the cop was moving over to block the bike from passing, which IS within his authority, and misjudged the closing speed. Maybe the bike got pinched between the car and the curb unintentionally.
Seems like, if it could be shown the cop did it on purpose, he'd be charged with reckless endangerment.

This is seldom as "cut and dried" as people want to make it.

It looks to me like BOTH were at fault. If the rider wasn't ignoring the flashing lights and obvious attempts at blocking the cop was doing, bad wouldn't have happened.
If the cop had been more careful he wouldn't have put the bike down. I'm sure he was watching his mirrors and trying to be aware of where everybody was around him, but he screwed up.

So when an accident happens involving mass indifference to the law and someone gets hurt, who is surprised?
Who is at fault?
The cop trying to reestablish order or the apparently out of control mob?
That's a pretty good level-headed response.

Simply put, the motorcycle was doing something (multiple somethings) illegally. That puts him at fault in the collision. Is it sad that someone got hurt in this, yeah. But the cop was physically enforcing the speed limit with his maneuvering. That's allowed when the flashing lights and speed limit signs aren't enough. If you decide to pass a car that's weaving in front of you, cop or not, that's dumb. The fact that it was a cop with the lights ON makes him an emergency vehicle. That means that he has abilities authorized to him that normal traffic does not have. In this case, weaving back and forth across traffic. Not only that but did that multiple times before the idiot decided to make a break for it and sideswiped the cop.

This isn't cop administering justice on the roadside like some people are implying. This is stupidity taking a flying leap head first into an unwinnable outcome. Laws are there to (generally) provide public safety, for the drivers and everyone else. Obviously, the rider didn't quite understand that since he had his license suspended for doing other things that were unsafe. Being an idiot doesn't exempt you from being subject to dangers inherent in what you're doing. Just exempts you from learning the lessons the first time.
slim_grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-31-2015, 02:17 PM   #146
Flip Flop

Member Garage

Quote:
less words the better.

yours were wasted keystrokes.
Is that a haiku?
Old 08-31-2015, 02:21 PM   #147
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
Is that a haiku?
I noticed how poignant and minimalistic it was also...
Truly beautiful in it's simplicity and grace. <sniff>
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Liked this post:
Old 08-31-2015, 02:23 PM   #148
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_grizzy View Post

Simply put, the motorcycle was doing something (multiple somethings) illegally. That puts him at fault in the collision. Is it sad that someone got hurt in this, yeah. But the cop was physically enforcing the speed limit with his maneuvering. That's allowed when the flashing lights and speed limit signs aren't enough. If you decide to pass a car that's weaving in front of you, cop or not, that's dumb. The fact that it was a cop with the lights ON makes him an emergency vehicle. That means that he has abilities authorized to him that normal traffic does not have. In this case, weaving back and forth across traffic. Not only that but did that multiple times before the idiot decided to make a break for it and sideswiped the cop.

This isn't cop administering justice on the roadside like some people are implying. This is stupidity taking a flying leap head first into an unwinnable outcome. Laws are there to (generally) provide public safety, for the drivers and everyone else. Obviously, the rider didn't quite understand that since he had his license suspended for doing other things that were unsafe. Being an idiot doesn't exempt you from being subject to dangers inherent in what you're doing. Just exempts you from learning the lessons the first time.
Exactly, of course this makes you "Dumb" for agreeing. The bonus is, it also makes you right, lol.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Liked this post:
Old 08-31-2015, 02:26 PM   #149
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

when the cop loses his Job. youll see how dumb yalls remarks are.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:33 PM   #150
slim_grizzy

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2007 Triumph Daytona 675
2015 Ducati Scrambler UE
2009 Ducati Monster 696 (sold)

Quote:
The cop potentially losing his job or not doesn't have any direct correlation with whether he was authorized to do what he did nor whether the rider was a complete idiot for doing what he did. Punishment against the officer, if there is any, will likely be in response to public outcries of "injustice" rather than actual merit.
slim_grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-31-2015, 02:43 PM   #151
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
dumb
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Liked this post:
Old 08-31-2015, 02:48 PM   #152
Toe
Banned

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
Ducati multistrada
BMW k 1600 GTL exclusive :)

User is banned

Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:56 PM   #153
phantomzrex

Bike(s):
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
Is that a haiku?
Quote:
I noticed how poignant and minimalistic it was also...
Truly beautiful in it's simplicity and grace. <sniff>
Now that's funny, I don't care what side your on that's really funny!
phantomzrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-31-2015, 03:03 PM   #154
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomzrex View Post
Now that's funny, I don't care what side your on that's really funny!
Im a poet

and i l already knew it
Old 08-31-2015, 03:04 PM   #155
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
The cop potentially losing his job or not doesn't have any direct correlation with whether he was authorized to do what he did nor whether the rider was a complete idiot for doing what he did. Punishment against the officer, if there is any, will likely be in response to public outcries of "injustice" rather than actual merit.
dumb.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:06 PM   #156
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

again when it comes to motorcyclists, just depends on what laws you wanna break.

jey i broke the law when i did a parade lap.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:08 PM   #157
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
again when it comes to motorcyclists, just depends on what laws you wanna break.

jey i broke the law when i did a parade lap.
Which law was that?
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 08-31-2015, 03:08 PM   #158
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
Fairing lives matter?
Saltine.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:42 PM   #159
BUSA II

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 NLR Hayabusa
2001 Hayabusa Turbo
2005 GSX-R1000 Turbo

Quote:

Wow, we're either watching different videos or are using different dictionaries.

Yes, in the video I watched the cop was initially weaving across multiple lanes.

But when the collision occurs he had been in the number two lane for many blocks. By absolute definition, sideswiping is straying (intentionally or not) from a set course of travel laterally into the side of another vehicle.

The bike was in the number one lane for quite some distance before he began to pass the cruiser - the rider had easily established his presence in that lane - there was no sudden or abrupt overtaking involved. It's plainly evident that it's the police cruiser that does the sideswiping. The car steadily and without pause veers left to the left most portion of the roadway, swiftly pushing the bike into the curb.

Even though it's readily apparent that the bike wasn't rapidly accelerating past the cruiser (everyone here should know what kind of acceleration these bikes are capable of) let's assume that the rider was trying to outrun the cop. Please cite for me the law that allows an officer to use his vehicle as an instrument of deadly force to effect the arrest of someone fleeing on a motorcycle. (When you review the applicable laws you're likely going to come across Tennessee vs. Garner, the pertinent case law that states that an officer can only use deadly force when the officer has reasonable cause to believe the suspect poses serious threat of bodily harm to the officer or others). The use of a cruiser to stop a motorcycle has widely been accepted as use of deadly force. The courts have roundly ruled that a suspect's flight - in and of itself - does not constitute a reasonable threat to the officer or others.

In order for an officer to use their cruiser as a weapon [which is exactly what it is - when a suspect strikes an officer's car with theirs (or when any person intentionally strikes another person or occupied vehicle with their own) the charge is aggravated assault - assault with compounding factors rendering the assault capable of causing death] the officer must be able to articulate his fear that the fleeing suspect poses an imminent threat to the safety of others - such as when he is fleeing apprehension for previously committed violent felonies. Simply "turning on the (emergency) lights" does not exempt an officer from the laws covering use of force.

Nationwide, courts have ruled that alone in itself, flight on a motorcycle does not constitute a threat to the public of sufficient degree to warrant official response including the use of deadly force. Even to PIT a car an officer has to have demonstrable evidence of threat and receive permission from superiors.

None of that is evident in this case.

If your only argument then is that it was an accident (though the bike was even with the driver's window of the police cruiser, the cruiser's turn was measured and constant and speeds were negligible to the point that the collision was a predictable outcome) or or that the bike posed serious, imminent threat of grievous harm to the officer or others (which if it did then should not the officer have then been obliged to collide with all of the other bikes on the roadway doing the same things, thus preventing the imminent harm to others) then I can't argue with you, because neither of those scenarios are even the slightest bit credible from what I saw as clear as day in the video.

The evidence plainly shows a cop's malicious overreaction. Everything a prosecutor would need to support a conviction of any regular person on the charge of aggravated assault is there but of course that's not likely to happen. Look at the rate of indictment for officers of the law and you'll know how this is going to turn out.

--oh, and I was just asking who Curt was, earlier.
BUSA II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:09 PM   #160
green600
Banned

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

User is banned

green600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement