MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2015, 04:10 PM   #1
htown_Junior_G
New Rider

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06 Honda CBR 600rr

Advice on Building a Race Bike

I've tried searching & searching and have yet found a thread about building a Track Bike. I'm a novice rider with interest in Racing, I want to turn a cbr1000rr into a race bike, but before dumping hundreds on parts I want a basic step by step guide & understanding on what to do , all the people I've met are stunt riders so they're no help .

I have a 06 cbr1000rr , but I'm thinking about getting a 10-12 Cbr1000rr

Any Advice, Suggestions or Opinions are welcome

Thanks

Last edited by htown_Junior_G; 04-05-2015 at 04:13 PM.
htown_Junior_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone have a Spare bike or track bike I can use at a track day?? Adamhijazi1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 37 09-22-2014 11:04 AM
Barber Motorsports Park Track Weekend with Sport Bike Track Time 10/19 - 10/20 jb.junior Taking it to the Track 2 10-02-2013 08:35 AM
First track day - Anyone ride their bike to the track? velo29 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 14 09-15-2010 07:56 PM
building a bike philly fresh General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 11-29-2008 12:01 AM
the revolution of sport bike building PORSCHITO General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 06-23-2005 08:13 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2015, 04:30 PM   #2
ArkansasDave

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Step 1 buy already setup track bike
Step 2 go to the track

If you want to build one yourself and spend way more follow this guide.

Step 1 install track plastics
Step 2 install race brake pads, fluid and SS lines
Step 3 install sport oriented tires(q3, Rosso ii, bt003rs)
Step 4 go to the track
Step 5 stop looking at mods, spend the money on seat time.

Based on your profile I'm guessing you haven't done track days yet. You don't need a super modded out bike to do it. Just go to ridesmart.info and find a track day that fits your schedule. Look for the 50% first timer code for that event and make sure you use it. After doing a few track days you can see how much you are actually into riding the track. Then you can get a dedicated track bike and go from there. Also don't worry about having tons of fancy equipment on your bike, a stock bike with the correct tires and Brake pads will easily go lvl 3 pace.

My last suggestion is, don't start with a liter bike. Im not gonna say you're going to die if you do. My first track day bike was a 1000cc v twin and I am still here. I think it will slow down your progression and not help you learn as faster as a lower hp bike.

To recap, just get out there and ride.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #3
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

how big/tall are you? consider a 600, and if you go 600cc guess which bike ima suggest 2008+
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-05-2015, 05:19 PM   #4
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Step 4.1 get a notebook and take notes of things you learned and what to work on.
Liked this post:
Old 04-05-2015, 05:19 PM   #5
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Your sig says you have 1-3 months experience.
No offense but any supersports bike made in the last 15 years has waay more capability than you can exploit.
Get an older 600, put some good tires on it, pay Motorcycles Unlimited $30 to have the suspension adjusted and go do some track days.

As you learn to ride on the track, you will learn what mods will be valuable when you are ready to go racing.

The idea that you need to spend a bunch of cash modding a CBR1000 is misguided. Before you do any of that you need to get some track time.

That's the hard truth. Now, if you just want to put a wagon load of cool on your bike, that's only going to impress your non-riding friends.
All that matters on track is...
At first, how willing you are to check your ego and listen and learn
Later, how fast you are.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #6
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
No offense but any supersports bike made in the last 15 years has waay more capability than you can exploit.
Get an older 600, put some good tires on it, pay Motorcycles Unlimited $30 to have the suspension adjusted and go do some track days.

As you learn to ride on the track, you will learn what mods will be valuable when you are ready to go racing.

The idea that you need to spend a bunch of cash modding a CBR1000 is misguided. Before you do any of that you need to get some track time.

That's the hard truth. Now, if you just want to put a wagon load of cool on your bike, that's only going to impress your non-riding friends.
Later, how fast you are.
This! I believe there is a decently set up 05 r6 for sale in the classifieds here as well.
Liked this post:
Old 04-05-2015, 05:45 PM   #7
htown_Junior_G
New Rider

Bike(s):
06 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasDave View Post
Step 1 buy already setup track bike
Step 2 go to the track

If you want to build one yourself and spend way more follow this guide.

Step 1 install track plastics
Step 2 install race brake pads, fluid and SS lines
Step 3 install sport oriented tires(q3, Rosso ii, bt003rs)
Step 4 go to the track
Step 5 stop looking at mods, spend the money on seat time.

Based on your profile I'm guessing you haven't done track days yet. You don't need a super modded out bike to do it. Just go to ridesmart.info and find a track day that fits your schedule. Look for the 50% first timer code for that event and make sure you use it. After doing a few track days you can see how much you are actually into riding the track. Then you can get a dedicated track bike and go from there. Also don't worry about having tons of fancy equipment on your bike, a stock bike with the correct tires and Brake pads will easily go lvl 3 pace.

My last suggestion is, don't start with a liter bike. Im not gonna say you're going to die if you do. My first track day bike was a 1000cc v twin and I am still here. I think it will slow down your progression and not help you learn as faster as a lower hp bike.

To recap, just get out there and ride.

Great Line up this is what I was looking for!
Old 04-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #8
htown_Junior_G
New Rider

Bike(s):
06 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6racer View Post
how big/tall are you? consider a 600, and if you go 600cc guess which bike ima suggest 2008+
Well I'm 5'3 150 lb , short average built, R6racer
Old 04-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #9
htown_Junior_G
New Rider

Bike(s):
06 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post

Later, how fast you are.

True bumblebee, Youre absolutely correct and I'm glad you said this because you have alot of new riders buyings tons of mods and have yet to step on the track. I plan on going to Motrocyce Unlimited next Weekend. thanks
Old 04-05-2015, 06:55 PM   #10
BigComfy

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
Missing: Naked SV650, FZ1, Night Hawk
Best Upgrade:Sv650 Suspension full credit (Motorcycles Unlimited)

Member Garage

As mentioned above, buy an already built bike. Preferably something smaller than a 1k. You should consider a well soet d SV or older R6s for way less money. Learn how to ride the out of it, sell it for what you bought it for, and then get something newer/better/faster. I'm no speed demon or anything; nutI used to love looking at people faces on R1s when my naked 1st Gen Sv would smoke their . you'll learn more with less.

That's my .02

Happy riding!
Old 04-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #11
BigComfy

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
Missing: Naked SV650, FZ1, Night Hawk
Best Upgrade:Sv650 Suspension full credit (Motorcycles Unlimited)

Member Garage

The 07 CBR in the FS section wouldn't be a bad deal. I would negotiate it down to 3800-4k and call it a day if it all checks out. Might even be a bit too much bike but you could grow into it.
BigComfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:20 PM   #12
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
As mentioned above, buy an already built bike. Preferably something smaller than a 1k. You should consider a well soet d SV or older R6s for way less money. Learn how to ride the out of it, sell it for what you bought it for, and then get something newer/better/faster. I'm no speed demon or anything; nutI used to love looking at people faces on R1s when my naked 1st Gen Sv would smoke their . you'll learn more with less.

That's my .02

Happy riding!
As a real life example if you don't already believe what we have said. In order to build an r6 to be the same as my r6 for the same price you would have to get the 08+ r6 for under $2k. So if you can get a decent stock r6 for under $2k then go for it. Otherwise get a well sorted track bike.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:35 PM   #13
htown_Junior_G
New Rider

Bike(s):
06 Honda CBR 600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post

That's my .02

Happy riding!
Hey Big Comfy thats true you could learn more with less, thanks
Old 04-05-2015, 07:41 PM   #14
htown_Junior_G
New Rider

Bike(s):
06 Honda CBR 600rr

I have a Cbr600rr as well I will get comfortable with it until I find a nice 600 track bike,
Old 04-05-2015, 07:56 PM   #15
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by htown_Junior_G View Post
I have a Cbr600rr as well I will get comfortable with it until I find a nice 600 track bike,
Good plan, make sure the tires and brakes are in good condition and get out there and start the addiction.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:58 PM   #16
j_e_hurst
Josh

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

First, get seat time on the track. The time spent on the track will help you more than any modification ever could. I would track the 600 instead of a 1000, but that's just personal preference, from experience. I enjoyed the 600 much more. Was actually skiddish of all the power of the 1000 on the track. My advice
Track time
BETTER GEAR
Track tires and warmers
Better brakes
Track plastics
Bolt on mods exhaust, pcV, rearsets, levers, etc (mostly just personal preference stuff)
Then get in to things like a quick shifter
Suspension

Those items and mods will come with time, like years. Any modern age street bike within the last 15 years is well suited enough to start out on. The experience is the most important thing you can get to help you out. Most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!
Old 04-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #17
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by htown_Junior_G View Post
Well I'm 5'3 150 lb , short average built, R6racer
gotcha yeah, get a cheap sv650 to start on now and then get yourself a 08+ r6.

my first track bike was a 05 r6, and now its a 08 r6.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #18
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_e_hurst View Post
First, get seat time on the track. The time spent on the track will help you more than any modification ever could. I would track the 600 instead of a 1000, but that's just personal preference, from experience. I enjoyed the 600 much more. Was actually skiddish of all the power of the 1000 on the track. My advice
Track time
BETTER GEAR
Track tires and warmers
Better brakes
Track plastics
Bolt on mods exhaust, pcV, rearsets, levers, etc (mostly just personal preference stuff)
Then get in to things like a quick shifter
Suspension

Those items and mods will come with time, like years. Any modern age street bike within the last 15 years is well suited enough to start out on. The experience is the most important thing you can get to help you out. Most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!
I'd put suspension quite a bit higher on that list. I'd rather have good suspension than 6 more hp.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:11 PM   #19
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasDave View Post
I'd put suspension quite a bit higher on that list. I'd rather have good suspension than 6 more hp.
by the way also depends on the bike. some bikes have better stock suspension than others. but yeah i value suspension over power at the track anyday
Old 04-05-2015, 08:13 PM   #20
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6racer View Post
depends on the bike. some bikes have better stock suspension than others.
Nope, no matter the bike I would rather have better suspension then a little more power. Things like 250/300 or sv650 then suspension is much more important than super sports but I would always put nice suspension on a bike before power adders like exhaust and electronics.

Advertisement