MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2007, 02:10 PM   #121
Moody
Holy Smokes!
 
Moody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 14,685


Bike(s):
281









Psychosis is a generic psychiatric term for a mental state often described as involving a "loss of contact with reality". Stedman's Medical Dictionary defines psychosis as "a severe mental disorder, with or without organic damage, characterized by derangement of personality and loss of contact with reality and causing deterioration of normal social functioning."[1]
__________________

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who is a christian? obed The Circus 92 06-18-2013 06:55 AM
Any christian riders out there? Josue1300 Off Topic 100 07-01-2011 04:14 PM
ok how about what does it mean to be a true christian?? paniro187 The Circus 32 01-08-2010 12:12 PM
So most everyone here is a Christian Conservative morvegil The Circus 109 12-17-2009 12:05 PM
Anyone here NOT a Christian? morvegil Off Topic 81 06-08-2009 04:28 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2007, 02:22 PM   #122
CaJuNsOuLjA
Resident Glasnost
 
CaJuNsOuLjA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW: 249 & Beltway
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,106

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
*SOLD*...(Pending purchase): 2006 CRF 450






Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
Psychosis is a generic psychiatric term for a mental state often described as involving a "loss of contact with reality". Stedman's Medical Dictionary defines psychosis as "a severe mental disorder, with or without organic damage, characterized by derangement of personality and loss of contact with reality and causing deterioration of normal social functioning."[1]


How bout the term(s) dunderhead and/or pompous? :laughing6
__________________
"They've created a nation of spenders, speculators, and consumers, and they've destroyed the savers, producers, and the investing class that built this country. We're moving from a market-based economy to essentially a planned economy. We're abandoning capitalism and embracing socialism. That's a recipe for disaster." - Peter Schiff
CaJuNsOuLjA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:26 PM   #123
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero
 
ArturoC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atascocita
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 23,248


Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage





Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
http://secular.org/
__________________
Blog | Pics | YouTube
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:31 PM   #124
Moody
Holy Smokes!
 
Moody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 14,685


Bike(s):
281









Quote:
Originally Posted by CaJuNsOuLjA


How bout the term(s) dunderhead and/or pompous? :laughing6
Are these the terms you like to use for Christians? I prefer psychotics because as history shows this would be a relative scientific term although yours are interesting.
__________________

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:33 PM   #125
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero
 
ArturoC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atascocita
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 23,248


Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage





Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaJuNsOuLjA


How bout the term(s) dunderhead and/or pompous? :laughing6

I like that one!! You have to say it with a half-drunk, southern drawl though. :laughing6
__________________
Blog | Pics | YouTube
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:37 PM   #126
Moody
Holy Smokes!
 
Moody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 14,685


Bike(s):
281









Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturoC
I like that one!! You have to say it with a half-drunk, southern drawl though. :laughing6
It does sound like something we should be calling our current president.
__________________

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:46 PM   #127
CaJuNsOuLjA
Resident Glasnost
 
CaJuNsOuLjA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW: 249 & Beltway
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,106

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
*SOLD*...(Pending purchase): 2006 CRF 450






Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
Are these the terms you like to use for Christians? I prefer psychotics because as history shows this would be a relative scientific term although yours are interesting.
Nah, but they're still pretty funny ...I happen to be Christian and don't really see the Psychotic thing being that reality is a bit relative. What IS reality? Is it what the general consensus believes to be the reality because Christians and/or believers outnumber non-believers? Is it what you can see, feel, touch? Then comes the question of the reality of air or anti-matter, blackholes n such. Lastly, what IS reality, in your opinion (if you care to answer)?
__________________
"They've created a nation of spenders, speculators, and consumers, and they've destroyed the savers, producers, and the investing class that built this country. We're moving from a market-based economy to essentially a planned economy. We're abandoning capitalism and embracing socialism. That's a recipe for disaster." - Peter Schiff
CaJuNsOuLjA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:46 PM   #128
CaJuNsOuLjA
Resident Glasnost
 
CaJuNsOuLjA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW: 249 & Beltway
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,106

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
*SOLD*...(Pending purchase): 2006 CRF 450






Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
It (dunderhead) does sound like something we should be calling our current president.
LMAO, True statement :laughing6
__________________
"They've created a nation of spenders, speculators, and consumers, and they've destroyed the savers, producers, and the investing class that built this country. We're moving from a market-based economy to essentially a planned economy. We're abandoning capitalism and embracing socialism. That's a recipe for disaster." - Peter Schiff
CaJuNsOuLjA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:57 PM   #129
Moody
Holy Smokes!
 
Moody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 14,685


Bike(s):
281









Quote:
Originally Posted by CaJuNsOuLjA
Nah, but they're still pretty funny ...I happen to be Christian and don't really see the Psychotic thing being that reality is a bit relative. What IS reality? Is it what the general consensus believes to be the reality because Christians and/or believers outnumber non-believers? Is it what you can see, feel, touch? Then comes the question of the reality of air or anti-matter, blackholes n such. Lastly, what IS reality, in your opinion (if you care to answer)?
General Reality, Relative Reality, Ultimate Reality? I do not entertain a singular thought on that topic. Many people refer to this as Quantum Reality because the instrument being used to observe is in fact skewing the results.
__________________

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:01 PM   #130
CaJuNsOuLjA
Resident Glasnost
 
CaJuNsOuLjA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW: 249 & Beltway
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,106

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
*SOLD*...(Pending purchase): 2006 CRF 450






Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
General Reality, Relative Reality, Ultimate Reality? I do not entertain a singular thought on that topic. Many people refer to this as Quantum Reality because the instrument being used to observe is in fact skewing the results.
Yep, there are many facets to that particular discussion, definately a fun topic. I'd rather do it in person and during a philosophy class. It's a bit more structured that way. Discussions of the sort always get retarded on here so I am begininng to veer from them.
__________________
"They've created a nation of spenders, speculators, and consumers, and they've destroyed the savers, producers, and the investing class that built this country. We're moving from a market-based economy to essentially a planned economy. We're abandoning capitalism and embracing socialism. That's a recipe for disaster." - Peter Schiff
CaJuNsOuLjA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:45 PM   #131
PORSCHITO
Senior Member
 
PORSCHITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 2,614












Send a message via AIM to PORSCHITO Send a message via Yahoo to PORSCHITO
why do some christian denominations consider drinking a sin , jesus himself used to drink wine ????
PORSCHITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #132
Moody
Holy Smokes!
 
Moody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 14,685


Bike(s):
281









Quote:
Originally Posted by PORSCHITO
why do some christian denominations consider drinking a sin , jesus himself used to drink wine ????
They say that the term wine was used for any drink derived from grapes including non-alchoholic beverages. There goes all that translations stuff again.... I wonder what else has been skewed in the translations?
__________________

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:35 PM   #133
Crystalline
Can't ride now...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 9,376

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1











Send a message via Yahoo to Crystalline
Quote:
Originally Posted by PORSCHITO
why do some christian denominations consider drinking a sin , jesus himself used to drink wine ????

Man, I have noooo idea.
__________________
Crystalline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:57 PM   #134
CaJuNsOuLjA
Resident Glasnost
 
CaJuNsOuLjA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW: 249 & Beltway
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,106

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
*SOLD*...(Pending purchase): 2006 CRF 450






Quote:
Originally Posted by PORSCHITO
why do some christian denominations consider drinking a sin , jesus himself used to drink wine ????
Glad you brought that up. I'm not really sure, I'd credit it to bad interpretations. The only thing bad is to do it in excess. Drinking is not a sin but to drink to the point of drunkeness may very well be.
__________________
"They've created a nation of spenders, speculators, and consumers, and they've destroyed the savers, producers, and the investing class that built this country. We're moving from a market-based economy to essentially a planned economy. We're abandoning capitalism and embracing socialism. That's a recipe for disaster." - Peter Schiff
CaJuNsOuLjA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:04 PM   #135
Crystalline
Can't ride now...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 9,376

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1











Send a message via Yahoo to Crystalline
A good verse for the record...
Ecclesiastes 7
20 For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.
__________________
Crystalline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:04 PM   #136
Nox
 
Nox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: over that way...
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,241

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 R1
01 FZ1(sold)
96 vmax(sold)
02 sv650 TRACK! (sold)



Quote:
Originally Posted by CaJuNsOuLjA
I am not going to get into some long drawn out discussion on the matter, but I feel it necessary to address a few things that were presented in the following piece. I noticed that your post was not given-what was in my opinion-its warranted attention. Noctem-you are fully entitled to your opinion and I appreciate your inputs, but it would seem that you present your arguments under the assumption of absolute exactness. Such a statement as "xianity, along with ANY 'organized religion', is arrogant, simple minded and is cheating itself" is laughable and in and of itself arrogant, because for one, you insist it as if it were absolutely true and verifiable and two, because of the magnanimous or high-minded nature of the statement-you basically disrespected all Christians by replacing the Christ with an "x". The question(s) I would pose is/are:

why the fear of the use of a name/phrase (Christ, Christian,etc) ?

Could it be that there is some ultimate truth you are avoiding showing respect for?

I have found-within the context of history- that those things which people have violently feared realizing, in the past...were in fact ultimate truths that for one reason or another, that group of people did not want to realize. An example would be with the history of blacks in the seventeen and eighteen hundred's, mostly in the United States. There were supposed scientific studies conducted to prove that blacks were not indeed human, but rather some wild breed of animal. This was actually one of the justifications for using blacks in the slave trade-they were not human. What ended up happening was that people began to realize that blacks were infact human and had the capacity for learning and excelling in all facets of education, athletics and the arts. Some whites, at the time, were violently against the idea of a black man being capable of acquiring the same levels of cerebral, physical and other achievements as were whites-Hitler actually walked out of the 1936 Olympics because a black man (Jesse Owens) had beaten his superior white counterparts. To segway, Hitler's regime would be another example of violent contempt for the above stated ultimate truth and that would be the equality of blacks to whites, Jews to whites, etc. He attempted to "x" out the Jews (pun intended) so as to create his own truth which would be the figurative equivalent of your replacing the "Christ" in Christian with an "x". In the end, we don't and won't know who is absolutely correct until the point of judgement. We can only go on faith. Yes, there's that word again-faith. Believe what it is that you choose to believe, but try not to be so belligerent in your arguments against someone elses belief system. Anyhow, I will proceed with addressing a few things, but mainly correcting- what I deem to be- a few false assumptions presented in your arguments below:



ok, ok hang on just a second. i replaced the christ with an x because i just didnt feel like typing christian every time i wanted to say christian. thats it. im not trying to parallel hitler. youre reading a bit too much into that 'x'.

and why do you assume i fear the name of christ? its a name.

and what ultimate truth are you refering to? if its christianity then i dont see how that can even be considered a truth since xtianity is fractured from the very beginning. some xians cant even stand other xians. how are you going to find an ultimate truth in that? TRUTH ITSELF is one of the most subjective things we humans know. look at the world today. EVERYONE has the ultimate truth. the muslims. the catholics. the xians. the many sects inside xianity itself. the two well known sects inside the muslim belief. they hate each other. no one has the ultimate truth because there is no ultimate truth. the only truth we have is the truth we choose to accept. there are as many ultimate truths as there are people in existance.

how is any organized religion that forces their beliefs on others, no matter the reason, NOT arrogant? need i mention the xian crusades? or the killing of the infidels in the name of allah?
__________________

Im not Ben Spies, but Im from Texas. And I ride a Yamaha.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:17 PM   #137
Nox
 
Nox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: over that way...
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,241

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 R1
01 FZ1(sold)
96 vmax(sold)
02 sv650 TRACK! (sold)



i do have to disagree on christ being a christian. jesus christ was jesus christ, not a christian. jesus did not make men christian, men made jesus christ a christian. jesus was a teacher and a philosopher who talked to and taught people, who spread his own ideas and words, not xianity. xianity is man made.

charles darwin was not a darwinist. charles darwin was charles darwin who happened to develop his own theories and ideas with the last name of Darwin. people who follow him are darwinists.
__________________

Im not Ben Spies, but Im from Texas. And I ride a Yamaha.

Last edited by Nox; 06-13-2007 at 11:20 PM.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:33 PM   #138
Crystalline
Can't ride now...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 9,376

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1











Send a message via Yahoo to Crystalline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctem
charles darwin was not a darwinist. charles darwin was charles darwin who happened to develop his own theories and ideas with the last name of Darwin. people who follow him are darwinists.
So would you say that Buddha wasn't a Buddhist??
__________________
Crystalline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:37 AM   #139
100f
Reagan and Peyton's Dad
 
100f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Houston...of course
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 765

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
94' 1000F
92' VFR 750








actually....ALL RELIGION is man made
100f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:16 AM   #140
CaJuNsOuLjA
Resident Glasnost
 
CaJuNsOuLjA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW: 249 & Beltway
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,106

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
*SOLD*...(Pending purchase): 2006 CRF 450






Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctem
ok, ok hang on just a second. i replaced the christ with an x because i just didnt feel like typing christian every time i wanted to say christian. thats it. im not trying to parallel hitler. youre reading a bit too much into that 'x'.

and why do you assume i fear the name of christ? its a name.
Never actually explicitly stated that you infact feared some ultimate truth but rather presented the possibility that that could be the case insofar as you were able to write out a lengthy reply, yet, could not endure writing out five particular letters because you "just didnt feel like typing christian every time i(you) wanted to say christian". Another reason I made note of your inability to write out "christian" was that it is a common practice of atheists and agnosts' to replace the Christ in Christmas with an "x" so as to eliminate the spiritual element of that time of years festivities. Do excuse if I was mistaken in my assessments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctem
and what ultimate truth are you refering to? if its christianity then i dont see how that can even be considered a truth since xtianity is fractured from the very beginning. some xians cant even stand other xians. how are you going to find an ultimate truth in that? TRUTH ITSELF is one of the most subjective things we humans know. look at the world today. EVERYONE has the ultimate truth. the muslims. the catholics. the xians. the many sects inside xianity itself. the two well known sects inside the muslim belief. they hate each other. no one has the ultimate truth because there is no ultimate truth. the only truth we have is the truth we choose to accept. there are as many ultimate truths as there are people in existance.
I surely hope you are not assuming yourself to know the actual only truth because the very foundation upon which you are predicating your arguments is based on an unreliable source-the human psyche. You said before: ive chosen not to dedicate my mind and faith to any one or any way of being but to learn from all the faiths, beliefs, etc; which is indicative of what would seem to be your adopting of amiable- or convenient- elements of any of today's various religious methodologies. I agree, the concept of an ultimate truth is an interesting one because it is very much relative and we can get into a deeply metaphysical discussion concerning the topic but I won't do as much because as I've said before, that is more a discussion I'd like to have in person. Discussions like that are almost pointless on the board because there's always what I would call retarded responses offered in the middle of serious discussion. I do disagree though with the thought of there not being some ultimate truth. Perhaps we as humans-imperfect beings- are incapable of perceiving it, but there has to infact be some ultimate truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctem
how is any organized religion that forces their beliefs on others, no matter the reason, NOT arrogant? need i mention the xian crusades? or the killing of the infidels in the name of allah?
What happened with the church in the past, though relevant, is not comparable to anything that represents the Church of today-the church being the worshipping community-not the brick and mortar church or the institution(s). Sure there are sects of the Christian faith that are a bit deviated, but that is simply due to bad interpretation and over interpretation of the words in the Bible. Americans, in the past were all for slavery and the killing and maiming of a group of people due to the color of their skin. Is that to say that that older version of America is representative of the America of today? I surely would hope not.
__________________
"They've created a nation of spenders, speculators, and consumers, and they've destroyed the savers, producers, and the investing class that built this country. We're moving from a market-based economy to essentially a planned economy. We're abandoning capitalism and embracing socialism. That's a recipe for disaster." - Peter Schiff
CaJuNsOuLjA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy