MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
rhenriksen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

The bikes @ MSF classes

Friend of mine wants to get his girlfriend into an MSF sometime soon. He wasn't happy with the condition of the school bikes @ Awesome; said they were beat up older machines (He's into Euro bikes, guess he has high standards). Not trying to bash anybody - don't shoot the messenger! Wondering if anyone can compare across schools in the Houston area, which schools have a relatively new inventory of bikes?

TIA,
RNH
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorcycle classes going up Dollartree99 General Discussion (Moto Related) 68 07-17-2013 06:41 PM
bikes at msf class eric636 New Riders and MSF Course Info 12 05-24-2011 10:47 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
1997 XR400 TARDED

really? does he expect the new bikes? If they were unsafe i can see it being an issue, but i doubt their bikes are unsafe. Challen has been a sponser on here for a while, and i have never heard of any issues. I think your friend is being too superficial. These bikes are meant to show people the basics of riding a motorcycle, not be pretty. You can always take your own bike.....
Old 03-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
40acres

Feedback Rating: (0)

Your friend seems like quite the snob. Course bikes are all going to be beat up to some extent. There is always an option to take the course on your own bike, so tell him to stfu and go that route
40acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-08-2015, 01:49 PM   #4
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Those poor msf bikes get dropped all day long because some of the students that sign up have never even been on a bike and much less know how to properly operate one . Tell your douche friend to let his girl take the course on his euro bike and see what he says

If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-08-2015, 07:03 PM   #5
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

I had already been riding awhile when I took the course, but I'll say the fact the the little 250 Suzuki had dents, dings and scraps actually put me more at ease. I could tell that a drop wast a huge deal. It made me relax.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-08-2015, 07:04 PM   #6
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

Sort of like letting a Chinese woman learn how to drive in a Ferrari! Just totally insane! Those bikes are crappy; but serve their purposes very well! It's been eons ago since I took my course at Spring Branch; but they used little 150 CC and 250 CC bikes. I do remember that every one of those little bikes survived 2 days of riding, shifting, braking, and stopping! So tell your friend to put his and his GF's vanity aside for 2 days and once she passes her test she can get a brand new Superlagerra!
Old 03-08-2015, 07:14 PM   #7
Crossfits
Crossfits

Bike(s):
2017 Husqvarna FE250
2004 Honda CR125 (sold)
2012 Kawasaki KLX250 (sold)
2011 Yamaha TTR230 (sold)

Tell the dude to his girlfriend ride his bike for the class and see if he still feels the same way...
Old 03-08-2015, 08:03 PM   #8
rhenriksen

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250

Man, so much hate! I agree w. everybody here; I actually prefer to learn on a beater as well.

Like I said, asking for a friend

<--- just the messenger
Liked this post:
Old 03-08-2015, 08:16 PM   #9
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post
Man, so much hate! I agree w. everybody here; I actually prefer to learn on a beater as well.

<--- just the messenger
Uhh huh asking for a friend

If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:55 PM   #10
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
1997 XR400 TARDED

Quote:

<--- just the messenger
So what were you expecting to hear?
Old 03-09-2015, 10:29 PM   #11
scoutguy
pack leeder

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Rocket III
95 Triumph Thunderbird
96 Triumph Daytona 1200-now Tojo92's toy
95 Triumph Speed Triple
KTM 990 ADV

Depends on where they take the class. State owned training bikes are approaching 8 years of age or older depending on model. It is up to the sponsors to maintain and or repair damage to keep them in operation. Yes they may be beat up but for the most part have held up well. Other sponsors are able to rotate their training fleet every 1-2 years. Currently we're testing a new bike to see how it will hold up in the long term-so far it has been very encouraging. As far as your friend expecting a new ride for training purposes, just isn't going to happen. Like in previous posts he is more than welcome to let her use his in the class if he doesn't like the condition or choice of bike that is provided for training.
scoutguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:40 AM   #12
myla296

Robert, get them to do their own account and have them ask for themselves.

(I love Awesome Cycles, and dropped their bike on them...they didn't even blink an eye)
myla296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-10-2015, 04:50 AM   #13
EMTP435

Bike(s):
2012 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited
2004 Sportster 883 XL

I teach for MTC and have to say our bikes may look a little beat up with a ding or two, but they run and run well. We keep up on all the PM on them and (in Rosenberg) even wash/wax them when we can. They are TRAINING bikes for a reason. But they are SAFE! There is not a single training bike out on our range I wouldn't hesitate to throw a leg over and ride. There may be a few of the Harley Rider Edge course using the new 500cc H-D, but I have heard those bikes don't really fit shorter rider too well.

Honestly, if the guy is worried about the looks of a training bike, then he has other issues....
Old 03-10-2015, 12:58 PM   #14
Jaynvius1

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R
06 Honda CBR 600 RR

Member Garage

Training bikes are bound to be beat up with dents and scratches all over them. He's not going to find an MSF school with new bikes or a euro bike in the mix. Unless its a brand new school that's just opening, he needs to suck it up and use what bikes are there.
Jaynvius1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:43 AM   #15
atvmxr

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2001 Vulcan 800
CR125
LT500R
TRX250r
ATC350X

i was on a brand new bike as MRH.... the trainers try to give the nicer bikes to somewhat experienced riders and the beat up ones go to newbies

just get his gf to say she has 5 years experience track racing GSXR750 and is ready to take the MSF to ride on the street
atvmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:52 AM   #16
rhenriksen

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvmxr View Post
i was on a brand new bike as MRH.... the trainers try to give the nicer bikes to somewhat experienced riders and the beat up ones go to newbies

just get his gf to say she has 5 years experience track racing GSXR750 and is ready to take the MSF to ride on the street
LOL, good call.

I signed my gf up for the SBISD class that was held last weekend. She got stuck on a 125cc cruiser (I hate the ergonomics of a cruiser, you've got much better control in a standard riding position). Her legs are almost as long as mine, she could have easily ridden the Suzuki SU-250. They had two brand-new SU-250s, but you're right - they only brought out one of those for the OG who'd been riding a long time.

She had a great time, passed by a healthy margin, and didn't drop her bike once last weekend, or put her foot down in the box. I wish the instructor would go on a word diet, though. He was a really, really nice guy but one of those people who don't get the concept of 'less is more'. Never use three words when three thousand will do...

My Euro-snob friend & his gf didn't make it out for her to get her certificate. They missed the Saturday rain, at least. Sunday was gorgeous; I spent most of the morning sweeping out the huge puddles left on the range from Saturday.
Liked this post:
Old 03-24-2015, 11:56 AM   #17
Crossfits
Crossfits

Bike(s):
2017 Husqvarna FE250
2004 Honda CR125 (sold)
2012 Kawasaki KLX250 (sold)
2011 Yamaha TTR230 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvmxr View Post

As she low-slides on the new bike.. I can see it now...
Old 03-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #18
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!-SOLD
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more sold

Quote:
LOL, good call.

I signed my gf up for the SBISD class that was held last weekend. She got stuck on a 125cc cruiser (I hate the ergonomics of a cruiser, you've got much better control in a standard riding position). Her legs are almost as long as mine, she could have easily ridden the Suzuki SU-250. They had two brand-new SU-250s, but you're right - they only brought out one of those for the OG who'd been riding a long time.

She had a great time, passed by a healthy margin, and didn't drop her bike once last weekend, or put her foot down in the box. I wish the instructor would go on a word diet, though. He was a really, really nice guy but one of those people who don't get the concept of 'less is more'. Never use three words when three thousand will do...

My Euro-snob friend & his gf didn't make it out for her to get her certificate. They missed the Saturday rain, at least. Sunday was gorgeous; I spent most of the morning sweeping out the huge puddles left on the range from Saturday.
Tall lanky fella? Rides a bmw?
Yeah, David ?

He's a teacher, imagine how long his class are, lol

Glad she enjoyed it!

Congrats
Old 03-24-2015, 02:04 PM   #19
paulie12

Bike(s):
2003 SV650S
2006 CRF 100

Quote:
Friend of mine wants to get his girlfriend into an MSF sometime soon. He wasn't happy with the condition of the school bikes @ Awesome; said they were beat up older machines (He's into Euro bikes, guess he has high standards). Not trying to bash anybody - don't shoot the messenger! Wondering if anyone can compare across schools in the Houston area, which schools have a relatively new inventory of bikes?

TIA,
RNH
I believe Harley Davidson offers some sort. Apparently a large portion of the class is them trying to sell you a HD...
paulie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-24-2015, 02:15 PM   #20
brandontx

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

I thought the beat up bikes were fun. I remember trying to see if I could get one of the pegs ripped off of it by the end of the day. I failed. They are on there better than I thought.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement