MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Vintage / Cafe Racers
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2016, 09:25 AM   #41
gbalias
Too Slow :/

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
XB12S
YZ450F my dirtbikes got slicks

lookin awesome.

with what youre doing....i would highly recommend downloading and installing Fusion360

its a design software from Autodesk (the guys who do AutoCAD). based on the solidworks workflow....its very easy to learn and use, and has direct 3d printer output. its also free....completely free for end users and businesses with project revenue below $100k. i have used it quite a bit and its good for collaboration as well....sort of a cloud based system...i think you would benefit from it.

other than that...keep on building dude
gbalias is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
slyguy's cafe build sixerSLYGUY Vintage / Cafe Racers 49 07-07-2016 11:40 AM
My VERY SLOW CB450 cafe build CBR_TRAN Vintage / Cafe Racers 73 07-06-2015 12:09 AM
82 GS 650e cafe racer kid Vintage / Cafe Racers 6 06-22-2014 02:56 AM
1982 yamaha virago 750 build. fingers crossed. loosenoose Vintage / Cafe Racers 160 06-17-2014 08:23 PM
Cafe build Seth8488 Vintage / Cafe Racers 4 11-04-2011 12:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2016, 08:06 PM   #42
Jenk's

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 ninja 250 (sold)
2008 CBR600RR (Sold)
1990 FZR 400 1WG (sold)
2007 Ninja 250 (Cafe racer project)

Drooling
Jenk's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:02 AM   #43
invalidalias
Naked Cafe LuVR

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
10 Bonnevile Cafe
82 Virago Bob-fe
Black F4I (stolen)

Any update? Did you need a tank riser for the rear mounting point to get the tank angle the way u wanted?
Old 07-18-2017, 09:35 PM   #44
DSM

Bike(s):
Project '82 XV750

Hey everybody, this is long overdue. I apologize for not posting regularly. I wasn't making very much progress until recently. I scrapped the retrofitting of the original tank and resumed construction of the fiberglass tank. After several weeks of work went into building the fiberglass tank, everything suddenly went down hill. I made the mistake of using acetone to melt the foam instead of Xylene. Acetone, as it turns out, melts the foam into a giant unmanageable glob in the bottom of the tank :( Additionally, it starts to break down the epoxy resin and made the tank walls soft :( :( Major bummer. I ended up starting my tank all over again. On the plus side, it gave me an opportunity to improve the tank scale and shape along with a chance to embed some aluminum plates for mounting the petcocks. I also went a ahead and molded the gas cap section of the original tank into the fiberglass so that I could use the original cap. This was more out of an unwillingness to rebuild the custom cap housing. Ultimately, I ended up liking the old cap better. It lends itself to a more retro look which is what I started to focus on a bit more. My original design scheme was a bit too modern and sporty. I may do a build in the future more like that.

This is the bike today.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Current Bike Photo.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	98796

It runs and I rode it to the gas station and back the other day! It still needs some carb tuning, but I am stoked to finally be able to ride it.

The seat is the most recent item completed.

Name:	Seat.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	98798

The electrical is all done, everything works beautifully. I will however be updating my electrical system soon. Originally I had begun rebuilding the wire harness, but quickly realized that it was clumsy, bulky and hard to track down any potential issues in the wiring. My solution to the problem is much like the Motogadget M Unit. The M Unit is essentially a control center that all lighting and controls plug into and are fused and re-directed to the appropriate destination in the circuit. So I spent quite a bit of time re-working the wiring diagram to build a "motherboard" of sorts.

This one is currently running on the bike now and is pretty bulky, but it is just a prototype.

Name:	Wire Board.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	98800

This PCB that I made will soon replace the running circuit (everything required for the bike to run) and another like it will govern the lighting and controls. Wires will be soldered the contact points on the boards and then the ends will have molex plugs as my sketch shows.

Name:	PCB.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	98797 Click image for larger version

Name:	Sketch.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	98799

I know I've skipped a lot here, so if there's any particual part of the build you'd like to see, let me know and I will make a "filler" post.

Up next, a little tuning, inspection, title transfer and registration!
DSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:41 PM   #45
DSM

Bike(s):
Project '82 XV750

invalidalias, just now saw your post. Sorry about that. To answer your question, I embedded a steel bracket into my new fiberglass tank that sits perfectly onto a bolt fed through the underside of a cross bar on my sub-frame. I sized the bracket to position the tank at just the right angle.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #46
Gixxerguy86
Rider. Tuner. Wrencher.

Bike(s):
1986 GSXR 815
2002 Bandit 1200
GSXR 1137cc Frankendragster (SOLD)
2002 Bandit 600 (SOLD)
lots of dirt bikes

so badass, keep up the awesome work!!
Old 07-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #47
cbrfxr67

Bike(s):
00 Electra Glide
gs500/929rr thing,...

great work,...really looking forward to seeing more!
cbrfxr67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-14-2017, 09:48 AM   #48
stunt-r
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
(2) KLX110 stock-mod class / KLX110 stocker / His & Her XR50s stock-mods

Send a message via AIM to stunt-r
great work! that tank looks much better! the electrical looks like a pain ha
Old 08-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #49
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I'm curious about the steering geometry and how it changed when you went with the upside down forks.
On some bikes the shorter USD forks change things enough that the steering becomes kinda hairy. More prone to wobbles and tank slappers.
If you haven't ridden it enough to determine how much different it is, just a thought, you might wanna keep in mind that it's not stock and could be a little wonky.

I've read that some bikes can get away with a steering damper while others need either the rear changed up or some different triple clamps to get the front closer to original spec.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:18 PM   #50
DSM

Bike(s):
Project '82 XV750

I have never ridden this particular bike with it's stock setup, so I have nothing to compare it to. I have been on a short ride with the new setup and I thought it felt great. I know that doesn't really mean anything, but this exact front end swap has been done by countless others on 1st gen viragos. I have yet to hear or read about any complaints regarding adverse handling after this swap. I will let you know now where I stand after putting a handful of hours on her. Might be a while though. I'm having some trouble getting her to run right. Not at all sure what happened after my first ride. Haven't been able to get her running right since.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:53 AM   #51
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I was basing that on what I've read about XS650 front swaps. I have a complete GSXR1000 front I'd like to put on the XS but there are problems caused by the shorter upside down forks.
The steering becomes so quick that its hairy to ride.
It may be the Virago geometry is less affected or maybe there is less difference in fork length. At any rate, something to keep in mind as you start to ride it again.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:43 AM   #52
DSM

Bike(s):
Project '82 XV750

Yeah it definitely doesn't hurt to be prepared for the steering response. There's always the option to add a steering damper.

Advertisement