MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #41
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Ive saved months of my life lane splitting. Soon it will be years
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you Lane Split Poll TMAX General Discussion (Moto Related) 154 08-17-2015 02:39 PM
Lane Split petition Jae General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 12-13-2014 06:27 AM
My take on lane splitting and malicious cagers. Do you guys risk it in Houston? phrenetiK General Discussion (Moto Related) 127 12-10-2014 12:26 PM
Why are some cagers so off by lane splitting in stopped traffic? TheBeeDeeGee General Discussion (Moto Related) 155 11-01-2013 10:20 PM
this is how to lane split socplay50 General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 10-29-2007 12:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-26-2014, 01:17 PM   #42
Benne
DeepSeaDiving

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2011 gsxr 600
2007 gsxr 600 (sold)

just as long as i dont see you on a camera, stealing chips or cigarillos, pushing away the man whose trying to stop you from doing a crime, and then seeing you gunned down on the street for being a "good kid" by an officer. You have my permission to keep lane splitting, thats all on you.
Benne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #43
Truckin_Thumper

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

Quote:
Originally Posted by POZZD View Post
I think it has to do with the American way of thinking, "If I can't do it, then he can't." Also, Texas drivers are some of the most entitled drivers around.
get out and travel more......its NOT just Texas.....it EVERYWHERE
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:36 PM   #44
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

so should they legalize lane splitting
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-26-2014, 01:45 PM   #45
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
Ive saved months of my life lane splitting. Soon it will be years
Splitting lanes on a scooter is one thing, they probably think it some nice young thing(well aren't they surprised). Splitting on a sport bike changes the game.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:45 PM   #46
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
1997 XR400 TARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
"You're doing something that is in a gray area of legality so if someone decides they want to kill you then that's your fault"

What?
I never said it was their fault. It would still be the drivers fault and he should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. Im just saying you are doing something that you know irritates people, and know full and well what dumb drivers do when they get off. Legal or not, if you lane split you are taking a risk of some idiot killing you. I don't do it for that very reason, and guess what I wont ever be killed splitting lanes. You know why? Because I don't think the risk is worth the reward. So if YOU decide to do it and YOU get run over don't expect me to feel all that sorry for you. And when I say you I don't mean you personally, but anyone who makes the decision.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:46 PM   #47
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
1997 XR400 TARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6racer View Post
so should they legalize lane splitting
legal or not, makes really no difference. The mindset remains the same.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:05 PM   #48
hes

Bike(s):
MV Agusta F4; CC; Tamburini; Brutale and F3
2015 BMW GSA 1200
2008 KTM 530 EXC; 2014 Yamaha 450YZF
2008 Ducati Desmosedici
1980 Vespa (my track bike)

I think you are missing the point. People get angry because rider does not give a f^% about the others. In other words:

I come in to work every morning on I-10 and you know where I-10 meets 45 going into downtows, trafic gets crazy and you have different lanes, mainly the one on the left moves super quick as it turns into 45N while the one lane next to the right is bumper to bumper as people stay for miles forming a line to get into busy 45S to go downtown.

And then you see the cars flying by on your left to then cut someone out before it is too late and you realize then why that lane moves so slow.

I get angry most times to motorcycle rides who split lanes while moving for the same reason, as when they finaly cut someone off, the lane I am on goes to full stop.

I do not get angry if you are moving to the front of the light when we are all standing as I know as soon as the light goes green off you go and trafic flows as always.

Hope you see my point.
hes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:13 PM   #49
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japawhat02 View Post
legal or not, makes really no difference. The mindset remains the same.
oh yeah true, but at least if someone does something it'll help you out in a insurance claim or ticket.
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #50
Track_Graphics

I think Lane Spitting should be illegal. Especially with ebola an all. At traffic lights you see these guys open their car doors and just launch a snot rocket or hock up a loogie right there in the lane. AND THEN MY TIRES GOTTA ROLL THROUGH THEIR EBOLA SLIMER????? For the sake of the collective good, some rights gotta be taken away.

It's not at all fair to us riders with full face helmets. If cagers can open a window and blow gack on the freeway - then we should be able to also. We can't even sneeze. Cagers shouldn't have windows that roll down.

There should be a law to make it more fair. NO LANE SPITTING!!! And stricter gum laws. it's so easy to get, anyone can have gum these days. There's just way too much gum out there on the street is crazy. There has to be some way to stop criminals from getting gum any where they want. We just GOTTA get the gum off the streets. Sometimes yer just out in the park with the kiddies. Next thing ya know one of them has gum. And they they tell you the just found it laying on the ground or under a bench or something.

Fkucing gum totin republicans..........

Last edited by Track_Graphics; 11-26-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Track_Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #51
thebujster

I think it has been shown statistically that lane splitting improves flow of trafic. So when I lane split, I think of it as helping myself and helping the other cars as well.
thebujster is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-26-2014, 02:40 PM   #52
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by hes View Post
I get angry most times to motorcycle rides who split lanes while moving for the same reason, as when they finaly cut someone off, the lane I am on goes to full stop.
they are doing it wrong.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #53
jimmy the gent
wich u gon do?

Experience: 7 years

People move to or live in a big city known for traffic problems then get mad or are surprised when they get stuck it traffic. It doesn't matter if other people are cheating or cutting. That is what life in the big city is about these days. There is no excuse taking law in your hands.

I used to question the logic of open carry but I sometimes wonder if it would make sense to open carry while riding. Would that make a potential road aggressor think twice?

― Steve Sailer
jimmy the gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #54
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
'08 GSX-R 600 (for sale, inquire within)
'08 Hypermotard (borrowed, ATM)
Russian POS ??

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hes View Post

I do not get angry if you are moving to the front of the light when we are all standing as I know as soon as the light goes green off you go and trafic flows as always.

Hope you see my point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
they are doing it wrong.
That was my thought exactly. Glad someone mentioned it.

Traffic laws are in place for safety. There is no morality to dictate how fast one should be moving on an open roadway, unlike whether or not you should go around killing people, taking things that don't belong to you, etc. These are laws made up (supposedly) in the best interest of public safety. If that law is not best-serving the safety of the public, then it should be changed, or at least outright ignored. I'll do my part by ignoring it.

Just like Tard_Graphics's scenario, I will run a light if running the light will keep me safe in that scenario, and in fact many states make it legal to do so on a motorcycle when the signal does not respond to the presence of your vehicle. (Just like lane splitting, Texas does not allow it.) I also go over the speed limit when going as slow as the speed limit means that 80% of traffic will be passing me. (OK, that's WAY too conservative, I usually pace to keep myself in the top 5-10% fastest moving vehicles on the highway.)

Statistics show I'm at a much higher risk of being injured in a rear-end collision than when splitting, so given the choice, I'm going to split when I deem it safe. For me, that's when both lanes are stopped (no where for people to jump across the line in front of me) and with me moving at around 5-10 mph. Do people get ? Sure. But, as long as I'm keeping myself safe and statistically actually improving the flow of traffic, I'll take a "cussing" page from the R6S owner and say:

Last edited by Jae; 12-01-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #55
pigfarmer
Banned

Bike(s):
Salsa Horsethief
Paugcho bobber

User is banned

pigfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #56
PushingLuck831

Bike(s):
2009 Kawi klx351sf (sold)
2015 wr450f
2000 Suzuki SV 650 (sold)
themagicman's garage :)
2013 street triple (unicycle)

I personally don't lane split unless its hot outside and I feel like im going to have heat stroke or pass out. that's about it. if im on a motard, screw lane splitting. ill take the grass where the asshats cant chase me
PushingLuck831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #57
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Keep it going!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/152994141430441/

...what doesn't Kill you only makes you stronger!!! "Live Now"
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #58
Track_Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post

Traffic laws are in place for safety. There is no morality to dictate how fast one should be moving on an open roadway, unlike whether or not you should go around killing people, taking things that don't belong to you, etc. These are laws made up (supposedly) in the best interest of public safety. If that law is not best-serving the safety of the public, then it should be changed, or at least outright ignored. I'll do my part by ignoring it.

Just like Tard_Graphics's scenario, I will run a light if running the light will keep me safe in that scenario, and in fact many states make it legal to do so on a motorcycle when the signal does not respond to the presence of your vehicle. (Just like lane splitting, Texas does not allow it.) I also go over the speed limit when going as slow as the speed limit means that 80% of traffic will be passing me. (OK, that's WAY too conservative, I usually pace to keep myself in the top 5-10% fastest moving vehicles on the highway.)
Sometimes Gae has a point. Sometimes you can't see it because he's wearing a helmet.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #59
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

because they are , just like the riders who also think you should not split
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement