MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2007, 10:09 PM   #1
Andy
Draped up

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2004 R6

How long till you weren't scared anymore?

So I was riding around the back streets of my area where maybe 3-4 cars are on every hour or so..and I'm thinking..I wonder how long everybody rode their bikes till they were okay with going into real streets with a lot of cars.

I'm still a huge new rider..and I'm pretty scared to take it anywhere but the backroads or around my neighborhood..I've taken the MSF course already which taught a lot..but that doesn't mean you grow over night.

Any advice, tips, suggestions on how to make my riding experience a whole lot less scary? ha.ha.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long till marquez kills someone?? Grinchy Taking it to the Track 24 11-12-2012 07:13 PM
how long till i receive my title? Infinite Off Topic 4 07-10-2012 08:50 PM
How Long After MSF Till I'm Ready? makushr1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 10-29-2009 10:04 AM
asian girls get scared...watch it till the end....funny stuff flip326 Off Topic 11 10-02-2005 04:40 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2007, 10:11 PM   #2
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

take it slow...you will know when the time is right.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:11 PM   #3
jph1486

Bike(s):
yzf600r(sold) 03 fiddy
zx6
zx10
kx250f

try not to get scared cause thats when you panic and when you panic bad things happen, just stay alert and dont ride in peoples blind spots
Old 05-20-2007, 10:12 PM   #4
Cody_Rules
this.

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
650r nekkid

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Cody_Rules
i wasn't scared the first week i started riding and started maneuvering through traffic in my town ....... if i wouldn't have started doing that on a dirt bike i don't know how long it would have taken but i have always felt comfortable riding the streets
Cody_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:12 PM   #5
Red

Member Garage

Go play at the track a few times and build your confidence and your ability together. You will have a blast.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:14 PM   #6
Andy
Draped up

Bike(s):
2004 R6

Are there a lot of modifications I have to do and tests I have to do to ride at the track?

speaking of blind spots..how do you guys position your mirror? I'm not sure what the correct way is..I put it so where I can see..but I can't really see anything next to me or behind me..it bothers me a lot..but I'm sure that's something you have to get used to

Also..I took the bike to the gas station today to get gas. It was a blast. lol..i'm such a loser =]
Old 05-20-2007, 10:15 PM   #7
jph1486

Bike(s):
yzf600r(sold) 03 fiddy
zx6
zx10
kx250f

what kind of bike you got?
Old 05-20-2007, 10:15 PM   #8
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

take your time brudda. i wont tell you how long it was before i hit the streets. i dont want you to get killed. but as witchdoctor said, you'll know when the time is right. ive been riding for six months now, and i still get nervous from time to time. maybe whats why im still alive.

Bringing back the old school.
Azylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:16 PM   #9
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Go play at the track a few times and build your confidence and your ability together. You will have a blast.
the track is no place for a beginner. some basic bike control and confidence is needed or he will be a track hazzard. get some miles under your belt and take the advanced course.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:17 PM   #10
quicksaveme

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

Nicely put Azylum. Obviously I'm still a new rider, but I was never really scared to ride the streets. I do ride like nobody can see me and everyone wants to cut me off though, keeps me in check.
quicksaveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:17 PM   #11
Andy
Draped up

Bike(s):
2004 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jph1486
what kind of bike you got?
I have an r6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum
take your time brudda. i wont tell you how long it was before i hit the streets. i dont want you to get killed. but as witchdoctor said, you'll know when the time is right. ive been riding for six months now, and i still get nervous from time to time. maybe whats why im still alive.

So I'm doing the right thing and what everyone normally does by NOT riding in the busy streets yet right? Either way I don't care if it's what everyone else did..it's what I feel safe doing at this moment.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:18 PM   #12
Slowkat
Nutty Buddy

Send a message via AIM to Slowkat
fear will kill you.....It's funny you mension in though. I don't realize how scary a particuar ride was till after I've closed the garage and start walking to my apartment...

Heading south on the on-ramp from woodlands parkway onto the 45 holds a spot in my mind, espessially at night....traffic is moving fast and tight, you come up high over the onramp and you can see the traffic roaring by for miles, then just drop a couple gears, hit the down side of the hill, check over your left and dive in......
Old 05-20-2007, 10:18 PM   #13
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowkat
fear will kill you.....It's funny you mension in though. I don't realize how scary a particuar ride was till after I've closed the garage and start walking to my apartment...

Heading south on the on-ramp from woodlands parkway onto the 45 holds a spot in my mind, espessially at night....traffic is moving fast and tight, you come up high over the onramp and you can see the traffic roaring by for miles, then just drop a couple gears, hit the down side of the hill, check over your left and dive in......
lack of fear will kill you quicker
Old 05-20-2007, 10:19 PM   #14
Red

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Are there a lot of modifications I have to do and tests I have to do to ride at the track?

speaking of blind spots..how do you guys position your mirror? I'm not sure what the correct way is..I put it so where I can see..but I can't really see anything next to me or behind me..it bothers me a lot..but I'm sure that's something you have to get used to

Also..I took the bike to the gas station today to get gas. It was a blast. lol..i'm such a loser =]
someone give him the link to the track day info. I lost it at the moment.
but no you really don't have to do much at all just to do track day. And they offer a class also to give you pointers and such. you will meet a lot of awesome guys and a few assssss holes but your garanteed to learn something.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:20 PM   #15
hectikillusions
your noob b**ch

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
in process.....

Send a message via Yahoo to hectikillusions
If you build it, It will come!!!!!.........just look at it as "your first time" just put on some romantic music and go with the flow......oh yeah, now that is some good stuff
hectikillusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:20 PM   #16
Slowkat
Nutty Buddy

Send a message via AIM to Slowkat
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575
lack of fear will kill you quicker
..ok
Old 05-20-2007, 10:22 PM   #17
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
I have an r6

So I'm doing the right thing and what everyone normally does by NOT riding in the busy streets yet right? Either way I don't care if it's what everyone else did..it's what I feel safe doing at this moment.

if youre not ready, youre not ready. you may NEVER be ready. one guy got kicked out of the MSF class when i took it for laying the bike over too many times-not everybody is meant to ride. im not saying youre not, im just saying DONT hit the streets until you feel confident enough to handle a situation should it occur, but not too comfortable and complacent.

fear and respect will keep you in check. anxiety will get you killed.

Bringing back the old school.
Azylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:22 PM   #18
jph1486

Bike(s):
yzf600r(sold) 03 fiddy
zx6
zx10
kx250f

it took me forever before i got on the freeway
Old 05-20-2007, 10:22 PM   #19
Red

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575
the track is no place for a beginner. some basic bike control and confidence is needed or he will be a track hazzard. get some miles under your belt and take the advanced course.
a

that is why you are divided into to different groups there are men and ladies of all different skill levels out there and there are rules to follow that help keep the slower riders out of harms way. trust me you will learn more with less risk on the track.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:23 PM   #20
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum
if youre not ready, youre not ready. you may NEVER be ready. one guy got kicked out of the MSF class when i took it for laying the bike over too many times-not everybody is meant to ride. im not saying youre not, im just saying DONT hit the streets until you feel confident enough to handle a situation should it occur, but not too comfortable and complacent.

fear and respect will keep you in check. anxiety will get you killed.

+1

Advertisement