MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Some thoughts.......FWIW

I've been on here a lot today.........thinking about Roger(KosKesh) and others, Brian, Eric, Walter. Seems like every year we lose some, some of them forever and some that will just never be the same.
And how many times are WE at fault...........those roads are NOT our racetrack, and none of us are indestructable.
How many more before we get smart about it..........
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts? Thayleal General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 11-12-2011 06:13 PM
Your thoughts???? chitownryder General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 02-08-2011 12:01 AM
Your thoughts???? chitownryder General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 02-07-2011 09:36 AM
thoughts? BoyO General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 01-06-2011 11:17 PM
Thoughts on this humbleassassin General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 07-22-2010 09:46 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2007, 08:42 PM   #2
pester
Banned

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

User is banned

pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:46 PM   #3
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

2003 kawasaki z1000

Send a message via AIM to S_M_J82
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusTx
I've been on here a lot today.........thinking about Roger(KosKesh) and others, Brian, Eric, Walter. Seems like every year we lose some, some of them forever and some that will just never be the same.
And how many times are WE at fault...........those roads are NOT our racetrack, and none of us are indestructable.
unfortunately how true of a statement that is! It's very unfortunate and I'm very sorry for the loss for everyone on here a fellow rider, friend and everything in between. bless his family and friends and lets do what we can as a community to help a one another. Rest In Peace.
S_M_J82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
Los
Gang Member

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
'04 Yamaha R6 Edition
'14 Yamaha R6

Send a message via AIM to Los
It almost like scheduled... the older breed have been there done that and maybe lost a friend or two to the sport. Then as the following years unfold the current breed will do the same and hopefully mature about their riding. People will always act a fool and only a handful will take what has happened before them as a lesson. New bikes, new years of riding, more deaths, more devestated families and friends. Its a vicious cycle that will never go away as long a person is still on a motorcycle. It just sucks that as the old grow older, they see the tragedies and chalk another one on the board. :eh:
Old 04-23-2007, 08:59 PM   #5
50cc chick
I <3 Josh

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Aprilia Ride Smart 50 (SOLD)

Send a message via AIM to 50cc chick
this is so true, yet sad!!!
50cc chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:01 PM   #6
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!-SOLD
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more sold

somebody has to be the example. for somebody else to learn from it.

unfor. in this case somebody has died.

don't let his death be in vain.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:04 PM   #7
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R
2003 Honda VFR800 VTEC

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
somebody has to be the example. for somebody else to learn from it.

unfor. in this case somebody has died.

don't let his death be in vain.
+1
Old 04-23-2007, 09:06 PM   #8
Badzx14r
Banned

Bike(s):
2many2list

User is banned

Badzx14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:07 PM   #9
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

everyone still wanna make fun of my chickenstrips?

Bringing back the old school.
Azylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:07 PM   #10
BrutusTx

Member Garage

What always bothers me is, looking at the stats from some of the threads concerning Roger...........several THOUSAND views.........who's NEXT?
And who will they take with them.........
Old 04-23-2007, 09:15 PM   #11
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

I'm a father of a very young girl. She's 4 years old and the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Every time I throw my leg over my bike I remind myself that she needs me to be there to put her to bed later that night. I won't deny the thrill and excitement I get just from riding my bike. But that excitement and thrill is always tempered by the reality of how dangerous our sport is.

I know many of you here are younger than me (it shows in your energy and passion) and are far more skilled than me, but I fear that many here lack the maturity to "reel it in" on the streets. Tripple digits on the HOV, wheelies on the freeway ... stunting on public roads ... these are the things that get people killed and stigmatize our sport. Save the speeds and knee dragging for the track, and the stunting for the secured parking lots please. I'd like you all to be around when my daughter starts riding and serve as roll models and teachers to her one day.

Enough ranting from an old geezer.
Thomas
logan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:17 PM   #12
Rick H.I.C.
Got Surf? Snow? Track?

Bike(s):
03' 600RR, 05' CR125, 88'NSR 250

Quote:
Respect the road and your skill.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:21 PM   #13
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

"Respect the road and your skill."

Maybe better said...

Respect the road, the bike...and all the others out there.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:21 PM   #14
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

I've been riding 30 years, every year it's the same thing, riders, passengers and innocent bystanders being injured, maimed or killed.

In most of the accidents I have personally seen or been directly involved in there are typically 4 common reasons.

1) The rider is going too fast for the the road condition or his skill level.

a) He get's into a corner too hot and lowsides.

b) He get's into a corner too hot, stands it up and runs off the road, sometimes hitting something, sometimes not.

c) He comes up on slower / stopped traffic and either tucks the front trying to stop or rear ends someone / something.

2) Because of the riders excessive speed, someone either doesn't see him or misjudges his speed and turns out in front of him.

a)The rider either tucks the front trying to stop or hits the someone / something.

3) Because of the riders excessive speed, someone either doesn't see him or misjudges his speed and turns left in front of him.

a) The rider either tucks the front trying to stop or hits the someone / something, or runs off the road trying to avoid the something / someone.
See 1, b)

4) The rider, minding his own business, riding the speed limit or stopped, is taken out by another vehicle.

Out of the 4 of these, the most common in my experience is the first 3.

What's the underlying factor?

Excessive speed of the rider.

I'm not preaching, it'd be hard to do so considering how I've ridden in the past.
A few years back after losing more than a few friends and more than a few close calls of my own, I had an "epiphany".

Nowadays when I ride on the street, I check my ego as soon as I put on my helmet, and I have learned to discipline my right wrist.

Not everyone makes it this far, some will stop riding, others will cheat danger their entire riding career, but many will be forever changed, either maimed, crippled or dead.

Unfortunately, every year, new riders come into the sport and have to experience it all for themselves.
Some will listen and take heed to the words from older riders, others will not.

Ride well everyone.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:21 PM   #15
Swift E

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
What always bothers me is, looking at the stats from some of the threads concerning Roger...........several THOUSAND views.........who's NEXT?
And who will they take with them.........
It's not only who they take with them but, who they leave behind.

I too have a 4 year old daughter and my spill last week really made me open my eyes to the dangers here on Houston Streets.
I have decided that I'm going to save my riding for the track.

I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money and you can keep The Change!
Swift E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:23 PM   #16
50cc chick
I <3 Josh

Bike(s):
Aprilia Ride Smart 50 (SOLD)

Send a message via AIM to 50cc chick
the thing is Koskesh isn't the first, yet there are still people out acting a fool. Just so happens that when it's someone we know that it actually hits hard and makes us think..."wow could have been me"
bottom line this could have been anyone of us, and dont think that even though you're a safe rider that it can't. You being safe is great, but you’re not the only one on the road!!
50cc chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:24 PM   #17
CarlosRR
Red Rider

Bike(s):
929RR

Would Like To Share With All of You My Life Changing Experience

I have read what everyone here has posted. I know that I am new on this site but I thought I would share my story with you. My family has experienced this type of situation first hand. When this type of accident happens it gets you without notice, believe me when I say this - it was very much unexpected. My brother was killed on a four wheeler on Christmas Eve 2001 doing what he loved. He was found by some friends face down with atv still on top of him. Do not know what exactly happened, and probably will never know. He was 6’2” and a good size guy, I know for a fact that he could have lifted it off him if need be. I am sure that it happened so fast that he could not react fast enough to help save his life, an accident. He was a very cautious in every thing that he did.

One expects to have everyone home for Christmas dinner he was suppose to be at my sister’s house. Instead my sister gets a call telling her that our brother is dead, how do you tell your parents that? I did not find out till later that night when I was told by a friend that was looking for me. I had just got home from doing last minute shopping when I was told. I could not and did not believe that my older brother was gone; it was unbelievable to say the least. I was very devastating to my parents to find out that their oldest son would not be back to see them. I truly believe that the death of my brother finished my father off. He was sick man but he was a fighter to what ever was throw at him. My father had beaten cancer, heart attack, bypass surgery, open heart surgery, stroke, and what ever life handed him. There is nothing that can fix the lost of a child, he simply gave up I saw him go from almighty to a weak man. My father died on May 24, 2002, 4:00am five months to the day of my brothers passing. I can still remember the phone call like it was yesterday. They are both buried next to each other and I try to visit them as much as possible, I truly miss and need them. I still remember the last conversation that I had with my brother. It was on Thursday December 20, 2001, they day I went to pick up my new truck that he never got to ride or use. He told me that he will see me later and of course I did when we buried him.

I guess what I am trying to say is have fun in life as much as you can handle. As some one said take it to the edge but the trick is to know where the edge stops. I know it is all fun and games and we rarely realize that what we are doing is dangerous. I know I have done many things that could have hurt myself or even killed me. The one thing that I failed to realize is that who is affected if something was to happen to me. Your family is the ones who has to deal with all the after math of what has happened. I would not want anyone to go through any type of lost, much less two in a short period of time. My brothers life was cut short he was only 34, my father 66, but they both will always live in my heart.

The only thing that I would ask from family, friends and everyone on this site is to be careful and use good judgment. Because sometimes you only get one shot to get it right and you never know when that will be. You all seem to be close to each other and share a lot of interest and experience. We all need to help take care of each other when ever possible, because the decisions of one can tremendously affect your family and friends for a lifetime.

I did not ride for almost 2 years after that just could not bring myself to it. I now ride with a tribute to my brother and father on my bike and truck. That way they will always be along with me no matter where I go. My friends also carry the same tribute as they all knew both of them as well.

Sorry for the long post just thought I would share a little bit of my life with you guys.

Carlos
CarlosRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:35 PM   #18
nihaikitty
Squidette

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
'04 EX500
'08 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5
I'm a father of a very young girl. She's 4 years old and the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Every time I throw my leg over my bike I remind myself that she needs me to be there to put her to bed later that night. I won't deny the thrill and excitement I get just from riding my bike. But that excitement and thrill is always tempered by the reality of how dangerous our sport is.

I know many of you here are younger than me (it shows in your energy and passion) and are far more skilled than me, but I fear that many here lack the maturity to "reel it in" on the streets. Tripple digits on the HOV, wheelies on the freeway ... stunting on public roads ... these are the things that get people killed and stigmatize our sport. Save the speeds and knee dragging for the track, and the stunting for the secured parking lots please. I'd like you all to be around when my daughter starts riding and serve as roll models and teachers to her one day.

Enough ranting from an old geezer.
Thomas
+1

I always figured that once I get a family started I'll have to start taking the car to work and the bike to the track or parking lot. Kids need parents that are living.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:36 PM   #19
JonEric0430
the slow and the retarded

Send a message via AIM to JonEric0430
Well, when I first started riding all I wanted to be was fast. People were telling me to get some seat time on the streets then go to the track to learn more and you will become faster on the streets.

I have only done about 2 1/2 days of track riding and it has slowed me down on the streets b/c I relaize how safe the track is and how unsafe the streets are. I am still riding the streets but not at blazing speeds.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:40 PM   #20
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
almost running over somebody that went down on the freeway....and roger's passing......has given me my wake up call.

if i choose to stay on the street.....i will definately stay at cruising speeds, and make sure i make it home alive to my family. i've realized i got too much going on in my life to be selfish. it's either take it easy or take it to the track.

and i do realize it's not always the rider......but the rider makes a big difference on who goes home or not. so i'll reduce my chances next time and take it easy.

RIP to the fallen riders. their deaths will not be in vain, i've learned from this and i hope others have as well.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement