MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Darkmatter
FZOHN9NER

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
14' FZ09

Things to keep in mind when buying on craigslist?

I have never bought a vehicle off craigslist (or even from the dealership for that matter) and would like a little insight on what to look out for and things to keep in mind when buying from private individuals on craigslist. If there is a good thread already on the forums with this information let me know, I couldn't find it.

So basically looking for info on things such as title transfers, bike inspections from out of state, etc. Things of that nature which I'm not familiar with at all. There must be more to it then handing over the cash and driving off with the bike. How does that all work and what can I do to make that process easier for both parties involved?

Last edited by Darkmatter; 09-21-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Darkmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a bike off Craigslist Urbangatsby General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 11-19-2012 09:43 AM
Things that bogle the mind: Pee Wee Herman at Sturgis texasyankee Cruisers Lounge 0 10-26-2010 09:28 PM
Buying Things Dressed As A Bank Robber cobrakiller02 Off Topic 11 01-22-2010 10:39 AM
buying things dressed as a bank robber.... AiJay Off Topic 12 10-27-2009 12:42 PM
I am going out of my mind!!! Brena23 Off Topic 14 08-09-2008 08:37 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
_Iceman_
Aerobatics Junkie

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Ducati 1098
Honda ZR50
Blata 2.5

If you buy a bike from out of state, you'll have to have it inspected before registering it.

www.s2kdj.com
_Iceman_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Make sure they have the title. Verify vin matches and always have it run. People here can run a vin if you ask.

Always run the vin

I google their number to see what else they have been selling.

When we meet I take a pic of their plates and try to sneak a shot of them
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
supadupa

Feedback Rating: (3)

If you go with a wad of cash......be prepared that the ad may be fake & they just want to rob you.
supadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
AiJay
AJ... that's the name.

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Huffy 10sp

Send a message via AIM to AiJay Send a message via MSN to AiJay
Always take a friend for a high dollar purchase/sell. Meet in a public place if possible. Google the out of every bit of info they give you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
That and piitb.
AiJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

1. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
2. Don't fall for the "Wire the money to X and I'll ship you the item; you can pick the item up at (insert location)" scams.
3. Make sure the title is in their name. If it's not, it can cause a headache even if it's not a stolen bike.
4. It pretty much is just handing over cash and driving away...you just gotta go register the vehicle. Making sure everything is legit prior to handing over cash makes this much easier.
5. Out of state bikes may not be "clean," meaning they were wrecked and rebuilt (should have a salvage rebuild title), but it's not uncommon for bikes to change hands in several states to shake the salvage rebuild title. Don't let a salvage rebuild title completely scare you off, though. A lot of perfectly fine vehicles running around with those, and they're usually a bit cheaper than a "clean & clear" vehicle because of the stigma.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
Darkmatter
FZOHN9NER

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
14' FZ09

Thanks for all the great information.

So I read this somewhere,
"If you buy a used car from a private seller, however, you’ll need to have the seller sign the title over to you. You and the seller can handle the title transfer transaction on your own by signing the appropriate sections on the back of the title."

So basically all I need to do when I decide the bike is right for me is just show up with cash, have them sign the back of the title and then I drive off happy go lucky? What about a bill of sale, is that something they should have or I should have when I arrive? It is a requirement correct?
Darkmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
tustah

Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R750

Get the VIN number and check here: http://txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or...before-you-buy

This is a quick way for you to check the title. I also obtain the title number and call them to verify if it is legit. One seller I encountered had a "certified copy", which does exist, but when I called TxDMV, they stated a certified copy was never created for the vehicle the seller was selling.

I prefer to buy from someone who has their name on the title. Don't like dealing with people who skip out on titling/registering their vehicle. Personal preference for me, but I wouldn't deal with it.

Check the chain/sprocket as well to see what condition they're in.

Safest route: meet with the seller at the DMV to handle all necessary paperwork and transfers. It eliminates any potential that may occur for both parties.
tustah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
myla296

Feedback Rating: (1)

I bought my bike off of craigslist, and a truck. The truck was freakin' scary! When I went to the tax office to file for the title transfer, I was nervous because I hadn't IDed the lady whose truck it was, it was her young adult son that talked to us. It worked out but, yeah...ID the person, match to title, match VIN to vehicle, search if possible. Get the title signed and a form for the title transfer you'll need for tax office, bill of sale is helpful.

(I am still enjoying the motorcycle and the truck
myla296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Meet at the dmv? Maybe the tax office ?
Old 09-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
LCLF Brain
Mamaaaa! Yeah, mama!

Bike(s):
2014 stage 4 Street Glide
2011 Heritage Softail (sold)

If they do not have a clear title, that is not a deal killer, but you need to satisfy the leinholder FIRST before you pay the owner. Say they have a pink title that says Chase Bank is the leinholder. So your business at Chase Bank if at all possible. If not, do it at your bank, and have them check the loan payoff, wire the money to them, and have the seller sign a bill of sale and a power of attorney on the vehicle. When the blue title comes in, he will give it to you, else he has no leg to stand on if he tries to get the vehicle back, since you have the power of attorney, the vehicle and the keys.

LCLF Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #12
j_e_hurst
Josh

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmatter View Post

"If you buy a used car from a private seller, however, you’ll need to have the seller sign the title over to you. You and the seller can handle the title transfer transaction on your own by signing the appropriate sections on the back of the title."

So basically all I need to do when I decide the bike is right for me is just show up with cash, have them sign the back of the title and then I drive off happy go lucky? What about a bill of sale, is that something they should have or I should have when I arrive? It is a requirement correct?
You'll also need a title transfer form. Those can be printed out from the internet.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #13
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmatter View Post

The seller will have to sign both the front and back of the title. Make sure the signatures match. One of the lines on the back is for a date. If you don't transfer the title to your name within a certain period of time you'll have extra fees/fines to pay. Sometimes the seller will leave the date blank to give the buyer a little extra time to transfer/register, but don't bank on that. Also, don't get mad if the seller keeps the license plate(s). It's pretty common and it forces the buyer to register the vehicle (or at least put plates on it that don't come back to the seller).

A bill of sale is more for the seller's protection than anything. It's like an insurance policy in case the buyer does something stupid with the vehicle before they put it in their own name. The bill of sale will have the information the seller needs to fill our form VTR-346. I've never had anyone at the tax office even look at a bill of sale when I registered any of my bikes.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #14
albertinhouston

Feedback Rating: (2)

If the add has no phone number or has a Gmail email address. Pass on it. And its about $1900 pass on it.
albertinhouston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I always keep my ad anonymous. I don't list my number ever
Old 09-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #16
chevy42083

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

Same.... Never use contact info.

Print out the title transfer form ahead of time.
If out of state, you must request an additional paper when inspecting. Cost $1.
If 2 names on title, BOTH must sign. Even if husband/wife.
Have ink signatures, not copies/faxes. The DMV gave me over it... Despite the fine print saying its good.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:06 PM   #17
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

what do you do if you wrote the wrong "buyer" name on the back of a title? is there a correction form you can fill out?
Old 01-13-2014, 09:17 PM   #18
ST675
01101000 01101001

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umayr View Post
what do you do if you wrote the wrong "buyer" name on the back of a title? is there a correction form you can fill out?
Nope. New title needs to be issued

Fyi title transfer form = 130u form. Anything else is worthless to the state of Texas. 130u form plus title is what you need.
ST675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:49 AM   #19
hollywood

Bike(s):
harley 48
RC51
Crf250r
Crf150f
Harley 1200c

make absolutely sure that the title is in the sellers name. I have had that headache before. I bought a mustang wasn't in sellers name but title was signed by who they bought it from. took me 5 months to get a title. had to get a bonded title cost ALOT of money and time.
hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #20
Rorschach
SlowPoke

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
‘01 cbr929rr fireblade

Is there a way to check the plate?

This city it's afraid of me...I have seen ITS true face.
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement