MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #1
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)
87 Honda Rebel 450 (sold)

Member Garage

why-this-harley-will-be-my-last

http://rideapart.com/2013/06/why-thi...ll-be-my-last/

The comments from HD riders tend to reinforce the stereo type. I've had it both ways with HD dealers. But this Buell will be my last...going metric. sigh.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I took the dive and got a Harley... flipstyledsm22 Cruisers Lounge 31 05-09-2017 11:32 AM
Harley Rider Down morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 04-07-2010 08:56 AM
The Harley zerobounds General Discussion (Moto Related) 65 11-06-2009 06:57 PM
Harley Stuntaz! issanni General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 04-07-2007 09:59 AM
Changes with Harley soon. ScooterTrash Cruisers Lounge 9 07-07-2005 01:02 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #2
Bigshankhank

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1972 Aermacchi Sprint SX350
1972 Honda CL175 K5
1978 Kawasaki KE100
1978 Kawasaki KE250
1970 Suzuki TC90

Maybe it was the shops in Florida, but I never had a bad experience from the sales team at a Harley dealership, even if I was just there tire kicking. And that when I would ride in on a Ducati, or one of my Kawasaki two strokes. I think it is fair to characterize the entire company because a few dealerships and some on the phone him off. Does it reek of poor management on HD's part Yes, no doubt. But I have met some old school riders, not bikers, at dealers that can appreciate whatever rolls on two.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

I'm sure I'll own another at some point, but it won't be purchased from a dealer (mostly buy used to avoid the initial depreciation), and after being in for parts for a few different HDs/Buells already, I can say that I will stay far away from there for parts and/or service. There's plenty of aftermarket for every single part on the bike, and there are top notch independent service places that will work on them.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Bigshankhank

Bike(s):
1972 Aermacchi Sprint SX350
1972 Honda CL175 K5
1978 Kawasaki KE100
1978 Kawasaki KE250
1970 Suzuki TC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
I'm sure I'll own another at some point, but it won't be purchased from a dealer (mostly buy used to avoid the initial depreciation), and after being in for parts for a few different HDs/Buells already, I can say that I will stay far away from there for parts and/or service. There's plenty of aftermarket for every single part on the bike, and there are top notch independent service places that will work on them.
OK, there I will modify my state of "never" having a bad experience. I have on several occasions gotten poor service from a HD dealership service department. Mostly about doing warranty work.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
DAT GUY

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
81 XS650
95 Sportster 1200-sold
07 650R-sold

I don't go to the dealer unless I feel the need to gawk at stuff I can't afford... Motorcycles Unlimited services my bike when it's something I can't handle or have no clue how to fix.

Will never buy a new bike again anyways and let the first owner get raked over the coals.
DAT GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
jsprunner

Experience: 3 years

I've not yet owned a Harley - and the Road Glide is really the only one I like at this point - but when I first started riding I visited both Republic Harley and Mancuso Crossroads. Both interactions were pleasant and professional. Republic even offered to let me kill myself, err, I mean test-ride one. Since I'd only had my license about a day, and had just finished the MSF class a day before that, I politely declined to potentially get smashed up on the 59 feeder on my first ride in traffic that was on a bike that was not a 250cc from the class. (I eventually had my first bike delivered so I could try to learn in my little neighborhood.)

My only complaint was that, as a new rider, I kept asking if the vibration while idling in the showroom was normal. Apparently for the Dyna-class, it is.

Maybe one day. Or not.
jsprunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Did anyone read the article?

If that's the kind of response from a dealer that causes that guy to flip out, then he'd hav a coronary if he had to deal with some of the 'metric' dealers and their 'attitude' I've encountered over the years. I don't really like Harley bikes/the demeanor or attitude of many of their rider's/or the arrogance that comes from owning (not even necessarily ever riding) one - but I didn't read anything terrible about them in this guy's rant.

Worst experience I ever had was with Kay's (metric bikes) on 59 N.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
darranwil
Rev_Psilocybe

Bike(s):
2004 Buell Xb12s
2002 Buell Blast-(sold)
87 Honda Rebel 450 (sold)

Member Garage

I've gotten the good/bad from both harley and metric shops over the years. Ever notice the bad ones are like going to the DPS, county clerk, post office, or dealing with a cop? If I had to deal with pissy humans all day I'd be a non caring too. Oh wait...
Old 06-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

I have had some super attitudes and a terrible experience at Woods not so Fun Center in Austin. Total pricks. I get my bike inspected at the Harley place down the road cause they are super cool even though I pull up on sport bikes.

I think a lot depends on the dealership. There is a Yamaha dealership in Georgetown TX and they couldnt not be nicer every time I have gone there. One time I even bought I didnt need just cause they went above and beyond with some issues I was having that had nothing to do with them. I make it a point to get my tires there even if they cost me more.

Its like saying that all Gixxer riders are douchebags.... wait, bad example.

Its like saying that all sport bike riders and reckless . Not so.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
Morphish
Fast for a Commuter

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2004 Suzuki Katana B12
2005 Triumph Rocket ]I[
1983 Honda GL1100 (sold)

His rant sounded more like it was about HD catering to "lifestyle" purchasers and not caring too much about "real" riders. Unless you wanted to spend lots of money on a garage sculpture, and keep spending on inflated "routine" maintenance, then the dealership wouldn't give you the time of day.

The only time I stepped into an HD dealership was when I was looking for summer gloves. I needed something with lots of protection, but without internal seams that would cut into my hands. The dealership staff was very courteous (and the girls that worked there were quite beautiful), but they seemed puzzled by my desire for gloves that had full fingers. For the summer? Your whole hand covered up? Wait, you want hard armor over the knuckles? Why is that?

They were nice to me, though. Even though I drove in on an 8 year old Honda Element.
Morphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
Toe

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

As you know my Buell broke down this morning.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

my overall experience with "Dealers" over the years has been good..
I had one bad one but that was 18 years ago at a shop that is currently a sponsor on the board, but the guys that work there now are a whole nuther crowd so I would not expect the same type of thing from them now.
I do not mind buying a new bike as I usually keep them long enough that depreciation is not an issue...the two harleys that i own are a 98 model and a 2003 model... my springer softail i kept 10 years before i sold it. All the other harleys i owned i bought used. 5 of my current 10 bikes were bought new.

Advertisement