MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2006, 11:14 PM   #21
trkstarr

Feedback Rating: (0)

I live in cali and i see motorcycles do it all the time. It still freaks me out..haha
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cali lane sharing is awesome! CraigRR General Discussion (Moto Related) 61 12-06-2013 12:49 AM
interested in legalizing lane-sharing? do something about it. specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 248 05-22-2009 08:19 AM
Lane Splitting/Sharing... Tony1K Off Topic 11 01-08-2009 11:05 PM
Geez... sharing the lane?!?! specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 08-19-2008 08:10 PM
Lane-Sharing lane-splitting, white-lining or filtering NoFear General Discussion (Moto Related) 165 08-14-2008 03:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2006, 11:14 PM   #22
bryan954
blank

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
DRZ400SM
KTM 1290 Duke
crf 50

i dont do it in houston, unless i have a super clear path. if i had a motard i'd be hopping medians and t.
bryan954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:22 PM   #23
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

"is legal here since sept 2005"

Pester,
Could provide actual documentation stating that was passed. Everything I have searched for, states the bill failed and that Lane Splitting in Texas is currently Illegal.

Btw some random threasd in various forums on it...
"Originally Posted by cyclecat
As posted on another thread:
Sorry to say, HB 1522, the Texas lane-splitting bill is not going to be passed into law this session . Hopefully we can try again in 2007."

" Texas House Bill 1522, authored by Representative Bob E. Griggs (R-North Richland Hills)--no action was taken on the lane-splitting bill before the 79th Regular Session of the Texas Legislature adjourned on May 30, 2005 despite reports to the contrary in the powersports press.
The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) has confirmed that the bill was not reported from the House Committee on Law Enforcement. Therefore, it was not eligible for consideration by the full Texas legislature.
Currently, California is the only state that permits lane splitting by motorcyclists because it is neither expressly provided for or prohibited in the California Vehicle Code. The California Highway Patrol Web site provides information at http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html#03.
The support of AMA membership enables the AMA to continuously monitor legislation of interest to motorcyclists in all states. We routinely post bills of interest to our website. You can review Texas legislation by selecting "StateWatch" under the "Rights" heading at www.AMADirectlink.com. "

"Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Lane Splitting Legislation
I've always wondered if it was ok to ride the bike between two lanes of slow moving traffic. So I decided to do research on the law and this is what I've found:

Lane Splitting: Not referenced in Administrative Code or Statutes
Which apparently means, there's just no law written about it. Well, of course my opinion or interpretation doesn't constitute legal advice. You need to pay a lawyer for that which is stupid coz that means none of us regular folk are meant to understand the law without legal advice from lawyers... and they say ignorance of the law is no excuse? That me off! How can we NOT be ignorant if the law wasn't even meant for us to understand? No wonder people hate lawyers... even lawyers hate lawyers. (Hey Annie Dang! Oh hey there Mark Dingle! I love ya'lls)

What a Way to Get an Answer

On the way to work this morning, I was confidently lane splitting through a freeway standstill going 5 to 10 mph. I say "confidently" because I've never gotten an answer on this law question and I wanted to push it... uhhm that was stupid really.

Anyway, so after 2 to 3 miles of lane splitting, I heard a loud horn behind me. Since the cars in front of me were pulling over, I decided to do so nonchallantly.

Then the Texas State Trooper (known for their viciousness) stopped right next to me and shouted "hey! come here!". I slowly back walked my bike right next to his lane, up against his trooper and I leant on his window with my forearm in a very relaxed way, with a "what's up buddy" kinda attitude.

"After he instructed me to draw up my smoked black faceshield, and while turning red he shouted..."

-pidong 02/08/06

After he instructed me to draw up my smoked black faceshield, and while turning red he shouted angrily, "You can't ride between lanes!!! That's only legal in California!"

So I just calmly said, "You are the best officer. Did you know that I've been looking for the answer to the question of lane splitting's legality in Texas for weeks? My HPD buddies couldn't give me a straight answer. Since you said I couldn't then I won't. Because I seriously would've kept on doing it if you didn't inform me. Thank you so much for keeping me out of possible trouble."

While I was talking, his faced looked more relaxed, and then he started turning red again... BLUSHING! All he could say was "Just be careful out there aight? Don't hurt yourself."

This all happened right in the middle of the freeway mind you. We didn't even pull over to the shoulder.

So yeah, I wonder if that really answers my question. From then on, I learned to be a little more patient in waiting behind a car. Darn it! But it was so much fun weaving in and out between lanes!!! "

Last edited by Ulric; 12-22-2006 at 12:17 AM.
Ulric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:38 AM   #24
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Also there is a big difference in legal lane splitting in California as well. You can't just split lanes anytime you want wherever, whenever. If traffic is stopped you can pull to the front of the line (at a light for example). Also on the freeway, in order for it to be legal, the traffic has to be moving slower than the posted speed and you cannot split more than 10 Mph over whatever speed traffic is flowing. So if traffic is creeping at 0-5 mph, you can only split at 10-15 mph. etc...

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:11 AM   #25
Cherub
FTP

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
Im confused was the original post about lane sharing like riding next to someone in the same lane????

~Dream as if you live forever. Live as if you die today~ James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
It makes me cry, but real tears not the ones out of my like usual.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:18 AM   #26
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

I think it was...but then someone posted that lane splitting was legal and it kinda derailed that that topic. :-)
Old 12-22-2006, 10:21 AM   #27
sparky

Bike(s):
CBR 1000

Send a message via MSN to sparky
I just got off the phone with the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles and talked to a state trooper. He stated that it was absolutely legal for a motorcycle to share a lane with a car. He also stated that it was the most stupid thing he has heard of but that you can do it.

That said, I am sure that if you were to poll 10 troopers you would get various responses. But from the looks of what I see here and the trooper that I spoke with, you can lane share with other vehicles in certain situations; and like you have seen other people in the thread say, yeah its stupid here in Houston, but I do it anyway.

Me, I do it in traffic congested situations and at red lights when I know that I am going to be sitting there for two or three light cycles.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:32 AM   #28
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

check page 14 of the motorcycle handbook...

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/dl-8.pdf

'Cars and Motorcycles need a full lane to operate safely. Lane Sharing is usually prohibited'.

Got questions,
You can contact the Motorcycle Safety Unit at:

Motorcycle Safety Unit
Texas Department of Public Safety
P O Box 4087
Austin, Texas 78773-0001
Phone: (512) 424-2021
or 1-800-292-5787
Old 12-22-2006, 10:35 AM   #29
issanni
assfault

Feedback Rating: (3)

Send a message via MSN to issanni Send a message via Yahoo to issanni
interesting. I don't think I'll do it.

I know when we were in Calif. last year I didn't realize it was legal in Calif and I noticed several motorists who seemed agitated by the fact these bikes were wizzing past them.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:40 AM   #30
sparky

Bike(s):
CBR 1000

Send a message via MSN to sparky
Thanks for the .pdf file of motorcycle safety; good to have as a reference! I will call the number posted and see what they say also. I read the excerpt from the pdf you sent and it doesn't say it's illegal, it just says that it is usually prohibited. To me this means that you can do it in certain situations like the bill that was or wasn't passed that someone posted earlier.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:58 AM   #31
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Np, that's one of the contacts I was using for questions on accent lighting and aftermarket turn signal solutions.

<nod> be careful and watch out for Leo's and the rectal-cranially inversed cagers out there that view the streets as some sort of racetrack.

I'd like to see the thing passed, I'd feel safer with a car on my left and right at a light, than one ahead and hoping the cager coming up behind me is paying attention. I find anymore on it I'll post it here.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:03 PM   #32
Ripcurl

Bike(s):
02 Sv650 Nekkid

Send a message via AIM to Ripcurl
it is NOT legal. never passed and never even made it for an official vote to be passed.

Uncle is an attourney and a rider in sugarland and it was submitted and had it passed would have taken into affect 9/1. It was pulled and never became a law.

with that said i have never heard of someone being tickets for it, although my stepdad was ticketed for riding on the shoulder.

-greg
Ripcurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement