MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Safety Corner Main
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #21
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

My commute goes between Hwy6 and BW8. HOV doesn't work for me in the morning. Going home, HOV is great, even if I do get stuck behind a slowpoke. Not having any threat around me is worth it alone.

In non-HOV traffic, I don't believe any lane is always better/safer/faster than others. Houston drivers apparently don't respect the hammer lane, so left lane huggers are a common sight. I prefer to concentrate on the "bubble" around me and making sure I have the best chance of being seen. That could mean going steady in the same lane sometimes, and other times, getting out from behind a big rig and out into the open, even if it means breaking the speed limit by a good margin to get there.

To me, getting home fast in nowhere near as important as getting home standing up. That said, I don't believe those two are mutually exclusive either.

Last edited by Volfy; 01-17-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Man dies in traffic accident on 59 in Sugar Land NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 07-25-2015 04:40 PM
All main lanes of West Loop closed at US-59 Southwest NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 02-07-2015 03:00 PM
Sugar Land street race Sat June 4: 59 frontage lucydad Safety Corner Main 77 06-07-2011 04:13 PM
59 between BW & north loop Flip Off Topic 5 10-28-2008 12:16 AM
Riding in Sugar Land on W.Airport.. BlackWidow General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 12-19-2006 11:46 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #22
Morphish
Fast for a Commuter

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2004 Suzuki Katana B12
2005 Triumph Rocket ]I[
1983 Honda GL1100 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua42007 View Post
Every now and then there will be a random piece of road debris, always watch out for conditions on the road. A few months ago I was caging it and exited at Hilcroft like my every day routine, and notcied a rock the size of a grapefruit laying directly in front of me (in the exit lane).

If your on a bike and your following to close to the vehicle in front of you, you may not see road debris like this.

QFT. I run this stretch of 59 a lot. I've dodged rocks, huge chunks of tire tread, old chairs (no lie), and even dogs. IDC if people cut in front of me because I leave a big space between me and the car in front. I gotta have time to react to all the obstacles on that part of the highway.

But +1 on the left lane choice. All else being equal it feels safest because of the decent shoulder, only one lane to watch out for (to my right), and being as far away from the people cutting several lanes to exit Chimney Rock.
Morphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #23
Joshua42007

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphish View Post
QFT. I run this stretch of 59 a lot. I've dodged rocks, huge chunks of tire tread, old chairs (no lie), and even dogs. IDC if people cut in front of me because I leave a big space between me and the car in front. I gotta have time to react to all the obstacles on that part of the highway.
QFT? What are you trying to tell me? please essplain.

Im talking about road debris in general, I had a buddy die from this not to long ago.
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #24
Morphish
Fast for a Commuter

Bike(s):
2004 Suzuki Katana B12
2005 Triumph Rocket ]I[
1983 Honda GL1100 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua42007 View Post
QFT? What are you trying to tell me? please essplain.

Im talking about road debris in general, I had a buddy die from this not to long ago.
QFT = "Quote For Truth"

It means - this is so right, I gotta repeat it. I wasn't joking. I've dodged chairs on that stretch of 59. Some dude was carrying them in the back of a pickup or something. I commute on it nearly every day and I gotta be especially careful for that segment since the cagers will just focus on getting to the exit and sometimes run each other off the road.

EDIT: I just looked it up and QFT is equivalent to "shut up" when used in a video game context. Forum context is almost always the same as QFE - Quote For Emphasis. Sorry - I meant no disrespect.

Last edited by Morphish; 01-17-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Morphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #25
Joshua42007

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphish View Post
QFT = "Quote For Truth"

It means - this is so right, I gotta repeat it. I wasn't joking. I've dodged chairs on that stretch of 59. Some dude was carrying them in the back of a pickup or something. I commute on it nearly every day and I gotta be especially careful for that segment since the cagers will just focus on getting to the exit and sometimes run each other off the road.

EDIT: I just looked it up and QFT is equivalent to "shut up" when used in a video game context. Forum context is almost always the same as QFE - Quote For Emphasis. Sorry - I meant no disrespect.
HAHAHAHHA, Thanks for clearing that up a bit. No disrespect was taken, I just thought you were calling me a liar.

I thought you meant QUIT FUCKEN TRIPPIN,

but yeah, road derbis - anything you can think of, is on the road.

Queen size mattress, bed posts, golf , rocks, chairs, couches, animals, front/rear bumpers. etc.

Get caught off guard with road debris and you will see how fast the ice cream turns to .

Last edited by Joshua42007; 01-17-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #26
xtelevisionset
Think Fast

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500 2002

I generally find that the second to left most lane or the second to right most lane tend to have the least amount of traffic.

Other than that, I tend to avoid staying in the left lane. I always thought it was for passing only and I think too many simpleton cagers think left=fast so it tends to get crowded and may slow without warning.

I find myself switching lanes only if a car ahead is moving at a slower pace than me.

Sometimes I maintain 60mph and sometimes I maintain 70mph, but decided not to do 80mph anymore so traffic is either always passing me or moving at roughly the same pace.

And I'm saying nothing in the past or future ever will feel like today

Until I'm parking in an ally just hoping that my is safe.
xtelevisionset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #27
Benne
DeepSeaDiving

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2011 gsxr 600
2007 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN600 View Post
I love the smell of trash on 59 at Renwick
haha, i hate that smell. I only smell it when i go north on 59.
Benne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #28
lucydad

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Today I made a Hwy 90 to Rosenberg to Hwy 36 to 59N loop. It was windy but worse was a shredded truck tire on 59 northbound. Fortunately I had a clear view way down the road and changed lanes to avoid all the rubber and wire . I am slowly expanding my skills and confidence at 70+ on our lovely freeways....
lucydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #29
cbrmonkey
aka Joe

Bike(s):
07' CBR600RR

Member Garage

Yeah i ride that stretch everyday from 610 south to 59 sugarland@w.airport....I'm no expert but I don't choose a lane I adjust with traffic because like bevo said I've already had my share of being pushed into shoulder lanes and tailgated by speeding trucks.
cbrmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #30
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!-SOLD
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanni View Post
I ride HOV to and from dt every day. But if I have to use freeway and the HOV is closed or opposite direction, I personally take the leftmost lane and I stay as far left as I can like ArtistMarty said; that way I can jump on the shoulder in case someone from the lane to my right decides to jump into my spot w/out checking or using a signal. (Happens all the time unfortunately...)
i disagree w/ this.

i ride usually in the left most lane on any frwy not just 59, but crowd to the right of the lane. that way cars merging in will more likely see you vs your all the way up against the emerg. lane. And if your on the right side (track), you have that lane + the emerg. lane if you need it. but you have to stay watching thats won't merge into you anyway.

i take 59 outbound to S-Land HOV daily.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:25 AM   #31
iDazzle
dizzle dazzle

Bike(s):
2010 Trek Something
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
07 Kawasaki zzr600
2011 Kawasaki zx6r

Left Lane.
I think motorcycles are exceptions to the rule regarding "slower traffic keep right" IF a motorcyclist is going slower than a speeding vehicle.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:29 AM   #32
iDazzle
dizzle dazzle

Bike(s):
2010 Trek Something
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
07 Kawasaki zzr600
2011 Kawasaki zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
i ride usually in the left most lane on any frwy not just 59, but crowd to the right of the lane. that way cars merging in will more likely see you.

I, too, do this.
Learned it from a old Harley man.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:18 AM   #33
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDazzle View Post
Left Lane.
I think motorcycles are exceptions to the rule regarding "slower traffic keep right" IF a motorcyclist is going slower than a speeding vehicle.
i disagree, no matter the veh. the left lane is a passing lane.

i guarantee if you;re in the left lane going slow you'll get buzzed by a cager.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:49 AM   #34
iDazzle
dizzle dazzle

Bike(s):
2010 Trek Something
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
07 Kawasaki zzr600
2011 Kawasaki zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
i disagree, no matter the veh. the left lane is a passing lane.

i guarantee if you;re in the left lane going slow you'll get buzzed by a cager.
Sure, left lane is the passing lane but I think when theres a motorcyclist riding in the left lane, it supersedes the vehicle's need to pass...making the motorcyclist switch over to the right so the car can pass. Consequently, the car needs to pass on the right lane.
Now there are exceptions to that belief as well.
In a situation where theres no cars around and the cager comes up behind you and the right is Wide Open, go ahead and switch so the cager can pass.
I see this from a safety pov. Im not going to merge into congestion so a car can pass. He can do it himself.

Left lane going ~5-7 mph over speed limit will not get me Buzzed. I dont think a cager will tailgate a biker like it was a vehicle. Itll switch and go on their merry way.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #35
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more sold

or you could have a dic behind you, and 'he'll' ride you like sea biscit till you move over, and honestly they would be in the right.

bikes don't have special previligas or rights, as many would like to think, they are just another veh. on the road.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #36
iDazzle
dizzle dazzle

Bike(s):
2010 Trek Something
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
07 Kawasaki zzr600
2011 Kawasaki zx6r

From my understanding: in the city or anywhere theres no Actual sign that says, "slower traffic keep right"..bikers Dont Need to give way and move. They should stay in their (left) lane, untaunted.

Im pretty sure a biker in the left lane wont be holding much of traffic up anyways.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #37
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDazzle View Post
From my understanding: in the city or anywhere theres no Actual sign that says, "slower traffic keep right"..bikers Dont Need to give way and move. They should stay in their (left) lane, untaunted.

Im pretty sure a biker in the left lane wont be holding much of traffic up anyways.
lol, so the law applies to cars but bikes, try again.
and yes there are signs out there

doesn't matter what you THINK, i bet cagers in the left say the same thing.......i ain't holding up traffic

do what you want, but don't suprised if you get buzzed (or worse) or even ticketed for riding slow in the left lane.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #38
Soldaten

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2010 BMW F800 ST
YZ250 (sold)
BMW E30 Race Car
LeMons Race Car (burned)

Technically, the left lane is for passing, but nobody in this -forsaken town drives worth a or obeys the rules, so it doesn't really matter.

I try to stay in the left lane, but ride the right tire path. Try not to ride in anybodies blind spot and if somebody is riding my , I'll move to the right and let them pass. I always use my blinkers and try to keep a "bubble" of free area around me.

ETA: drivers on 290 are getting worse everyday!
Old 07-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #39
iDazzle
dizzle dazzle

Bike(s):
2010 Trek Something
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
07 Kawasaki zzr600
2011 Kawasaki zx6r

Regarding "and yes there are signs out there"-
I think youve misunderstood me.
I didnt say there is no such thing as signs stating "slower traffic keep right".
I said in areas that theres no signs of that sort posted up...which...metro 59 doesnt have. I take 59 daily from sw into downtown, I dont recall seeing 'em. Ill look next time. Those signs are usually on the outskirts of town...

Regarding "even ticketed for riding slow in the left lane"-
I think you misread.
I mentioned riding Over the speed limit (faster than normal traffic) in the left lane as well as a biker in the left lane would probably not hold up traffic.

I digress.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #40
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more sold

doesn't matter what speed you're traveling, if your in the left lane on your bike and at 100mph, and car comes on your tail, MOVE OVER. IMO

Advertisement