MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
Grinchy

Member Garage

Suzuki to withdraw from motoGP

Not entirely unexpected but such a shame

still unofficial at this stage................

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2011/...4suzukiout.htm

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/174...of_motogp.html
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MotoGP - de Puniet back on Suzuki MotoGP at Sepang NewsBot Racing News 0 01-20-2015 10:50 AM
MotoGP - de Puniet: Suzuki MotoGP debut ‘a reward’ NewsBot Racing News 0 11-04-2014 06:30 PM
MotoGP - VIDEO: Suzuki announces 2015 MotoGP team NewsBot Racing News 0 10-03-2014 06:11 AM
MotoGP - PICS: Suzuki reveals the GSX-RR MotoGP bike NewsBot Racing News 0 09-30-2014 11:10 AM
MotoGP - PICS: Suzuki reveals its GSX-RR 2015 MotoGP bike NewsBot Racing News 0 09-30-2014 11:10 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
Can't make a bike to compete
Old 11-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
triumphant675r

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 Triumph Daytona 675 Triple

Member Garage

I don't know much about GP or pro racing at all, but what are they gonna do if they're not racing? Any reason why they'd withdrawal, and what might they do next?
Anyone wear chaps with fishnet shirts? My friends give me for it, but I feel most comfortable this way. Just seeing if anyone else out there feels the same. Also looking for other men interested in riding.
triumphant675r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

that stinks! bautista started to find some speed on it, but seemed to crash every race! I thnk the 1000CC version would be much more competitive!

www.TRACK-JUNKIE.com
THE DEAN OF LEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
ivancuriel
Sancho Pedotes

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven.
2012 Yamaha R1 Moto GP Edition

wasn't bautista going to stay with them? where will he go now? he really stood out on that blue suzuki, and he was picking up speed later into the season.
ivancuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Imo it's a question of economics. Moto GP is EXPENSIVE, and lets face it, Suzuki hasn't done well the last few years financially.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:05 AM   #7
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

I'm debating this subject on another forum. I think MotoGP need to go to a control engine format like Moto2 and now Moto3. It makes more economic sense for manufacturers and would he easier to put more bikes on the grid. Kawasaki dropped out for not being competitive and now Suzuki. The only factories that can challenge each other is Honda and Yamaha. I personally see Ducati pulling out in the next year or so if they don't win races. You can't build a multimillion dollar motorcycle and fund a top level team to finish sixth in the championship. Let WSB develop motorcycles for the public since it is a production based format anyhow. Until they plan on selling M1s and RCV race bikes to us, it currently doesn't make economic sense. Control engines would make it more affordable for teams to race in the premier class. Just my $.02
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
Gateman

Feedback Rating: (0)

Their eggs were all in their car sales and they are not good at all. The bike sale (even what little there has been the last few years) has supported Suzuki's auto ambitions.

I won't go into where I found this out as it could and would cause repercussions for the old friend I have know for some time now and he works directly with Suzuki Corprate. Trust me he is not a happy man right now.
Gateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #9
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
I'm debating this subject on another forum. I think MotoGP need to go to a control engine format like Moto2 and now Moto3. It makes more economic sense for manufacturers and would he easier to put more bikes on the grid. Kawasaki dropped out for not being competitive and now Suzuki. The only factories that can challenge each other is Honda and Yamaha. I personally see Ducati pulling out in the next year or so if they don't win races. You can't build a multimillion dollar motorcycle and fund a top level team to finish sixth in the championship. Let WSB develop motorcycles for the public since it is a production based format anyhow. Until they plan on selling M1s and RCV race bikes to us, it currently doesn't make economic sense. Control engines would make it more affordable for teams to race in the premier class. Just my $.02
there's already moto2 and moto3 why make a THIRD spec class? That seems ridiculous. MotoGP is, and absolutely should be, a prototype class. For cars there's F1, and for bikes there's motogp.

The economics of racing haven't really played out well since the "win on sunday, sell on monday" heyday of NASCAR in the 60s so trying to make everything "economically feasible" is just going to water down the racing even more.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Well, aren't they pretty much running a production type engine with the new 1000cc? One team is going to use the RSV4 motor. It seems that they are slowly becoming an expensive WSB class as it is. There are riders I like to see win but not in the runaway fashion it has become in the last few years. Moto2 became a control engine class due to the economic hardships of running a top level team. Now that they have changed format, the racing has become more interesting. True, F1 is an elite class with the best of the best and exotic machines, but they also have the financial backing of car makers and they attract more high dollar sponsors to help fund the teams. I'd rather see MotoGP go to a more cost effective format for the time being and have a full grid than end up with a two manufacturer grid because that is the way it's going.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:39 AM   #11
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

They're already taking steps with new format to help combat the minimal grid representation in GP. Will it work? Have to wait and see.

I don't like the idea of GP being a spec class. The tech war has gotten a bit out of hand, but I don't want to see it completely eliminated from the scenario. I have Moto2 and now 3 for spec racing.

Speaking of Moto2, anyone notice that last year the number of bikes qualifying within one second of pole was around 20-25 and now it's far less than that? Looks like even with a spec class there are better funded teams stepping out ahead of the pack.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #12
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateman View Post
Their eggs were all in their car sales and they are not good at all. The bike sale (even what little there has been the last few years) has supported Suzuki's auto ambitions.

I won't go into where I found this out as it could and would cause repercussions for the old friend I have know for some time now and he works directly with Suzuki Corprate. Trust me he is not a happy man right now.
Sounds like bad upper management. Suzuki should stay with making bikes. Who would buy a car from Suzuki? Rental cars?
CraigRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #13
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Well, aren't they pretty much running a production type engine with the new 1000cc? One team is going to use the RSV4 motor. It seems that they are slowly becoming an expensive WSB class as it is. There are riders I like to see win but not in the runaway fashion it has become in the last few years. Moto2 became a control engine class due to the economic hardships of running a top level team. Now that they have changed format, the racing has become more interesting. True, F1 is an elite class with the best of the best and exotic machines, but they also have the financial backing of car makers and they attract more high dollar sponsors to help fund the teams. I'd rather see MotoGP go to a more cost effective format for the time being and have a full grid than end up with a two manufacturer grid because that is the way it's going.
SOME of the teams are going to production-based 1000cc engines to fill out the grid. Some teams will still run prototype.

That being said, there's already 2 spec classes at/near the "elite level" if everything becomes production based and/or spec classes you're just going to have the same problem you have in drag racing and autocross: all of the different classes crowd each other out so there's no fan support anywhere.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 11-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #14
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

I was merely mentioning the idea as a temporary solution to an economic issue. If some teams are going to run production engines against prototype, I really don't see them being competitive against highly funded prototype machines. Essentially, it'll be another Yamaha/Honda year again.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #15
Grinchy

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivancuriel View Post
wasn't bautista going to stay with them? where will he go now? he really stood out on that blue suzuki, and he was picking up speed later into the season.
note that the bike was given to Randy de puniet to ride at Valencia and he was 4th fastest first time out all be it everybody else was working with there new 1000cc machines. fyi bautista has signed to ride a gresini Honda next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Imo it's a question of economics. Moto GP is EXPENSIVE, and lets face it, Suzuki hasn't done well the last few years financially.
agreed but still such a shame,
without Suzuki our memories of Barry Sheene, Franco Uncini, Kevin schwantz, scott russell, daryl Beattie, goberts, roberts jr etc could be quite different.
the $$$$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateman View Post

I find that kinda hard to believe
Old 11-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #16
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
I really don't see them being competitive against highly funded prototype machines. Essentially, it'll be another Yamaha/Honda year again.

then you should probably look at the test times.

CMRA #302
Old 11-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #17
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
then you should probably look at the test times.

Testing isn't racing. Most factory teams won't show their hand until closer to the start of the season. They always seem to hold something in reserve. If an RSV engine based bike which might cost, say $3 million to run, is doing similar lap times as a $10 million dollar prototype, why not just run the production based engine? If the prototype bike is a new design, they will logically only get faster as the season progresses. Since the RSV has been run in WSB for almost 3 years, it's power potential is pretty close to max. I'm using the RSV as an example only. I'm sure there might be other engines being used. Honda and Yamaha will surely go the prototype route since their racing budget is very large compared to the satellite teams. The control engine idea was just that though. I just know that the supporting class races were more entertaining that the main race. IMO.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #18
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Testing isn't racing. Most factory teams won't show their hand until closer to the start of the season. They always seem to hold something in reserve. If an RSV engine based bike which might cost, say $3 million to run, is doing similar lap times as a $10 million dollar prototype, why not just run the production based engine? If the prototype bike is a new design, they will logically only get faster as the season progresses. Since the RSV has been run in WSB for almost 3 years, it's power potential is pretty close to max. I'm using the RSV as an example only. I'm sure there might be other engines being used. Honda and Yamaha will surely go the prototype route since their racing budget is very large compared to the satellite teams. The control engine idea was just that though. I just know that the supporting class races were more entertaining that the main race. IMO.
You run prototypes in order to.......................prototype? The major manufacturers, when they can afford it, still have technologies they want to test out that will eventually end up in a production bike. You want to take away the absolutely only class where they're able to actually do so.

CMRA #302
Old 11-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #19
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

I understand the concept of what prototypes are for. Again, current economic situations are creating a scenario where manufacturers can't afford to prototype anything. Since they are no longer competitive, they are leaving the class. At the current rate of attrition, Honda and Yamaha will be the only companies left in the class. I'm sure Ducati won't stay there if they can't get consistant results better than 6th place, it's a profit loss for them. Manufacturers are better off investing their funds into WSB where they win races which results in bike sales.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #20
mkgsxr
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT

User is banned

mkgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote