MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
Versatile337
They call me V or Franco

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 GSX-R 750 (Blk/Matte Blk)

Member Garage

Why V4 engines in MotoGP

it's come to my attention that both Honda and Suzuki use V4 engines in motoGP. and before that Honda used a V5 while Yamaha still uses an I4 but with a weird cranking order that emulates a v4's power delivery.

Can someone answer why V4 seems to be the popular choice in MotoGP and why there's not a lot of V4's on the market for sportbikes?
Versatile337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MotoGP - Aprilia debuts 'promising' V4 engine in Jerez NewsBot Racing News 0 11-28-2014 09:40 AM
anyone know boxer engines? Infinite Off Topic 8 07-20-2012 08:36 AM
animated engines GAU-8 Off Topic 10 12-23-2010 07:25 PM
Evolution of the V4 "carbon" Ducati MotoGP bike Grinchy Taking it to the Track 19 04-20-2010 05:18 AM
Harley-Davidson engines vs. S&S engines Zapata Cruisers Lounge 2 08-29-2005 08:06 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
You answered your own question as to why V4's in GP: power delivery. Even the one I4 has its crank configured such that the power delivery is more like a v4.

As to why no V4s in production bikes: complexity.

However, the "regular" I4s are getting so incredibly powerful that they're starting to get unrideable. I think over the next 5 years, crossplane crank motors and v4s will find their way into more production bikes.

The last part is personal opinion.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
MONSTERZX9
Owner Ground Zero

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
F4i

weeeewwwwhhhhhhh can't wait!
MONSTERZX9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
You answered your own question as to why V4's in GP: power delivery. Even the one I4 has its crank configured such that the power delivery is more like a v4.

As to why no V4s in production bikes: complexity.

However, the "regular" I4s are getting so incredibly powerful that they're starting to get unrideable. I think over the next 5 years, crossplane crank motors and v4s will find their way into more production bikes.

The last part is personal opinion.
there are and have been v-4's in production bikes, and they aren't any more complicated than any other engine. the manufactures produce what sells the most.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
there are and have been v-4's in production bikes, and they aren't any more complicated than any other engine. the manufactures produce what sells the most.

I'm hoping the V4 makes a comeback.
I'd make room in my garage for a modern V4 superbike from Honda.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Power AND power delivery, I would think. Seemed to work OK for Aprilia last year, and Yamaha before that.
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Rumors are that honda may use the same tranny in it's production bikes next year that they use in their MotoGP bikes. But yeah, the older VFR750 was a V4. Might be with the whole "people buy what they are familiar with" situation. It would be a big risk to switch, say, the CBR1000 from an I4 to a V4. If people stayed away from it it would really hurt the company. Look at Aprilia, all the magazines rave about the RSV4 but I have yet to see one on the road. Unfamiliar, as far as customers are concerned, territory.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
MrBoom

Bike(s):
A Bike: 2013 RSV4 R
B Bike: 2010 RSV4 Factory
PPIHC A Bike: 2007 SXV 550
PPIHC B Bike: 2007 SXV 450

The V4 is narrower than the I4. This also reduces drag for top end.
MrBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
craigntx
team ftp

Feedback Rating: (21)

Bike(s):
all sold, wrecked, or stolen

I saw a v5 tearing up the track in a vid great
if that would make it to the street. Would actually make me want a honda

Last edited by craigntx; 06-11-2011 at 01:49 PM.
craigntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
craigntx
team ftp

Feedback Rating: (21)

Bike(s):
all sold, wrecked, or stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
Rumors are that honda may use the same tranny in it's production bikes next year that they use in their MotoGP bikes. But yeah, the older VFR750 was a V4. Might be with the whole "people buy what they are familiar with" situation. It would be a big risk to switch, say, the CBR1000 from an I4 to a V4. If people stayed away from it it would really hurt the company. Look at Aprilia, all the magazines rave about the RSV4 but I have yet to see one on the road. Unfamiliar, as far as customers are concerned, territory.
I had a vf1000r in the 90s. My first sportbike. It had top end oiling issues though, had to dump it when the cams wore down. Great power though but it had a 16" front tire turned waay to fast
Old 06-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
twice as many heads, twice as many cams, twice as many cam chains, and a more complicated exhaust routing. How are they not more complicated again? Yes I realize there are v4 motorcycles in production, but none (save the new Aprilia) make the power or meet the price point of a I4 litre.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement