MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #41
DepPravacion
The Re-Incarnate

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2005 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPsyclone View Post
Suzuki makes a sexy 500. Might be a great compromise for you and they hold their value pretty well.
my X girl started out on an 02 suzuki Gs500.
that was a really good beginner bike.
DepPravacion is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NOOB RIDE: "FOREST START" Thursday, 17Apr14 TMAX Events, Meets and Rides 12 04-17-2014 10:41 PM
"Matrix" Style Learning: A Reality? Senator Off Topic 5 12-14-2011 10:46 AM
"Life Style Change" ryanp77 Health and Fitness 36 04-28-2009 01:01 PM
"Lean Wit It" Teletubbies style jrock Off Topic 7 10-13-2006 10:17 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #42
DepPravacion
The Re-Incarnate

Bike(s):
2005 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewingo View Post
I'm pretty much through the crazy phase of my life, I'm 23 going on 24 and just trying to start my life, no need to act a fool and end it before I get to live it you know?
yup, just turned 27 this year, wait no i turn 28 this year, haha! fawk senility is setting in early.

if i was 18 and had my cbr i would def have had major accident. but, since i was on a almost non existant budget, i found an old 85 szki Gs750 for like 500 bucks and that was my first bike. and it was great.

could have been a moped i guess, i just loved the fact i was on 2 wheels.

if you feel that you are responsible enough than go get a decent used bike for like 3-4 grand if thats what your budget is. ( id def recomend you not go buy a brand new bike for your first one-unless youre rich )

when it comes down to it you can only control yourself,
if youre on a 250 or a 1400, a truck running you over still feels about the same i'd imagine. if you get a 250 cuz you know you dont have the dicipline to not ride fast on a 600, you prolly shouldnt ride at all.

now choose your weapon
Old 05-03-2011, 11:06 PM   #43
thewingo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2011 H-D Iron...1200!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepPravacion View Post
yup, just turned 27 this year, wait no i turn 28 this year, haha! fawk senility is setting in early.

if i was 18 and had my cbr i would def have had major accident. but, since i was on a almost non existant budget, i found an old 85 szki Gs750 for like 500 bucks and that was my first bike. and it was great.

could have been a moped i guess, i just loved the fact i was on 2 wheels.

if you feel that you are responsible enough than go get a decent used bike for like 3-4 grand if thats what your budget is. ( id def recomend you not go buy a brand new bike for your first one-unless youre rich )

when it comes down to it you can only control yourself,
if youre on a 250 or a 1400, a truck running you over still feels about the same i'd imagine. if you get a 250 cuz you know you dont have the dicipline to not ride fast on a 600, you prolly shouldnt ride at all.

now choose your weapon

HAHA well put, man, well put. 2 years ago I wanted a CBR600RR and I wanted to go fast. I wouldn't be alive today I can tell you that much. I had no discipline or respect for life then, life was a party and party I did. Probably would have made a lot of moronic choices. Now I understand the investment and responsibility, and risks and feel I'm okay going up to a 600..but again I won't know till I do the MSF. I'm very adventurous, but not a total idiot
thewingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #44
DepPravacion
The Re-Incarnate

Bike(s):
2005 CBR 600RR

yup i wanted the cbr since they came out with the RR in 03. i shat myself when i traded a nissan motor swap for my 05 RR, couldnt believe it.
had it now for about two years, and put about 20K miles on it.
even in that peroid of time i have calmed down a lot!
few close calls and few wake up calls. now im just itching to take her to the track and actually have some fun.

My sister started on an 03 gsxr 600 by the way. she had no issues.

def get used bike for your first, cuz i guarantee you will at least drop the thing two times.
ask ne body if they have ever forgot the kickstand wasnt down or something like that, or just manuevering on a gravel parking lot. happens haha. it hurts a lot less if youre not putting the 'first' scratches on it.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #45
Vegas Kid

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

Quote:
So by this, I get that you were LESS likely to make big mistakes with the 250. I must have misunderstood your first post. My bad. I thought you meant the opposite.
Yes yes, sorry it was confusing, of course the 250 is a more logical choice.

I meant to say if u make a mistake on a 250 its easier to correct than on a 600
Vegas Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #46
BaylorNinja500
I miss this place

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 500R
2008 Zuma 125cc

Quote:
Suzuki makes a sexy 500. Might be a great compromise for you and they hold their value pretty well.
agreed! gs500's are pretty good looking bikes. my ninja 500 is a very, VERY good beginner bike, but she ain't the prettiest gal in town :(

and if ur worried about a 500 not being powerful enough, check these out. they are still plenty fast!

ninja 500
Old 05-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #47
yumbeef
beef eater

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
08 ninja 250r
06 cbr600rr

i think taking a basic riders course has more to do with it than what bike a person starts off on. folks takign the course appear to be more safety conscious vs folks who just go out and buy a bike without getting a license or basic instructions. i started a little less than a year ago on my ninja 250.
yumbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #48
thewingo

Bike(s):
2011 H-D Iron...1200!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepPravacion View Post
yup i wanted the cbr since they came out with the RR in 03. i shat myself when i traded a nissan motor swap for my 05 RR, couldnt believe it.
had it now for about two years, and put about 20K miles on it.
even in that peroid of time i have calmed down a lot!
few close calls and few wake up calls. now im just itching to take her to the track and actually have some fun.

My sister started on an 03 gsxr 600 by the way. she had no issues.

def get used bike for your first, cuz i guarantee you will at least drop the thing two times.
ask ne body if they have ever forgot the kickstand wasnt down or something like that, or just manuevering on a gravel parking lot. happens haha. it hurts a lot less if youre not putting the 'first' scratches on it.

Oh it will be used...really anything 06/07 is good to me..08 and up insurance starts going up I really don't want anything older than an 05...so 05-07...i have certain things on my buying list
Old 05-05-2011, 12:15 AM   #49
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Quote:
Oh it will be used...really anything 06/07 is good to me..08 and up insurance starts going up I really don't want anything older than an 05...so 05-07...i have certain things on my buying list
unless youre getting full coverage, insurance on a bike is dirt cheap, no matter the year. but on my 06 i was paying only 72 bux a month for full coverage through state farm, and thats when it was new.
Azylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:19 AM   #50
F4injected
aka juan?

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
'05 CBR600F4i

A user review from an article called "The F4i as your first sports bike: good or bad?"

"In the spring of 2008, I came across a black/red 2004 F4i with 4,700 miles for a decent price. It was previously dropped with very light scuffs, and in great shape overall. I bought it (300 miles away from home), and had a friend ride it home for me. At that time, I only had my learner's motorcycle license, and although I was signed up for the MSF, it was about a month or two away.

I remember that day like it was yesterday... I tried riding my bike around in my friend's neighborhood (very little traffic), and it was very difficult since I didn't know what I was doing. I could barely turn it, etc. I got it up to 30mph and thought it was INSANE. I was dead set on riding before my MSF, so I had to teach myself how to ride. I bought 8 orange pylons, went to a parking lot and spent about 5-6 hours doing figure-8s and zig-zags around the cones at low speeds, progressively approaching the cones together in order to raise the difficulty.

Then I hit the roads. It was a lot scarier than I thought it would be. It took a good month for me to get used to the fact that there are cars around me and to not be terrified of them. I rode very slow, I barely leaned the bike, etc. Essentially, I did what they call "respecting the bike and the power" and it made for a very scary (although fun) experience. At all times, I felt like the bike's potential was way beyond what I could control and I don't even think I went over 5K rpms in my first month.

With only 3 weeks to go before the MSF course, I had a mishap. While going about 20-35mph, I lost control of my steering which was wobbling left and right. To this day, I still don't really know how I managed to do that. I dropped the bike, and it slid along the road, saved by the frame sliders. Damage was less than $500 luckily. I hurt my left hip, bruised up left leg, almost dislocated my right shoulder and sprained my right thumb. I was upset, unimpressed with myself, and fighting my body from wanting to black-out. After a quick visit to the hospital, nothing serious was wrong with me, and I went home and took the next day off work to rest and recover. All that to say that I'm lucky - lucky that I didn't hit a car or get hit by a car, lucky that my bike only got scratched, etc. I'm certain that if I wasn't wearing my full gear, I would've broken my hip and dislocated my shoulder.

A few weeks later, I went on vacation, and rented a Suzuki GS500 for a day. What a world of a difference. After five minutes on that GS500, which initially felt like a bicycle compared to the size of my F4i, I was already more comfortable on it. It was forgiving, easy to turn, didn't jolt me with every slight twist of the throttle, etc. I could take turns and actually lean into them.

A week after that, I finally took the MSF. I learned what countersteering meant. I learned what emergency braking meant. I learned why you can't brake while turning. And I thought to myself... I can't believe I rode on public roads before knowing these concepts, with an unforgiving sportbike at that.

Fast-forward to today, a month after storing my bike for the winter season. I rode a total of 7,000 miles in 2008 on my F4i. I've always "taken it easy" and could never keep up with other riders, even on leisurely-paced group rides, because they'd always lose me in the turns. It took until almost the complete end of the season for me to have the guts to get rid of the chicken strip on the right side of my tire (on highway on-ramps, middle of the day with full visibility). It's been a great riding year, and I had a lot of fun, but it's very frustrating not to be able to keep up with people, having to "respect the bike" cause you can't ride it to its full potential.

In a nutshell, I now understand why the majority of bike guys recommend small, lightweight 250/500cc bikes such as Ninjas, GS500s, Buell Blasts, etc. Having ridden that GS500, I realize how much quicker it inspires confidence. Smaller bikes are easy to handle, easy to learn, and are fun without being afraid "of the monster under you." Do I regret getting my F4i as a first bike? No. Would I have learned a lot quicker and better had I bought a better starter bike? Absolutely. I am your average first-time-sportbike-rider statistic: bought 600cc sportbike, dropped it, scratched it, got away with it, learned much slower with it, would be a better rider today had I listened to "wiser" advice, etc. So I won't be one of those that say "I was fine so you should be fine". This is a true sport bike not a beginner's/learner's bike. "

I definitely agree with this (The first part of the story is irrelevant to you, but I thought it would give some perspective on the experience). I started on a 600 not too long ago and I was the one who put the first scratches on it . I got it because I felt comfortable or TOO comfortable on the 250s at the MSF, so I concluded that a 600 would be the best fit for me. Also, my sister has a 250 and after riding around on that, I felt like I would grow out of it too soon.

But now that I got my 600 and I ride everyday, I'm not as confident about my riding because I'm afraid to lowside or jerk the throttle, which will equate to a big oh moment.

All in all, I would suggest you get a 250 or even a 500. After one riding season, you can sell the bike and you'll be able to make back virtually all the money you bought the bike for and than during that year you'll gain experience/confidence and have money saved up for the SS that you want.

Last edited by F4injected; 05-05-2011 at 12:23 AM.
F4injected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:28 AM   #51
mammothmc

Here's an easy breakdown I once heard

Ninja 500= a v8 Mustang
SS 600= a nice Corvette
1000=high end Ferrari

Generally these bikes would beat these cars handily at a drag strip.

Which one should someone just out of driver's ed be handed the keys to?

Personally I'm glad my first car & my first bike were turds. I didn't feel all that bad when I made the inevitable mistakes. After I knew wtf I was doing I traded up to something I liked.
mammothmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:08 AM   #52
thewingo

Bike(s):
2011 H-D Iron...1200!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
unless youre getting full coverage, insurance on a bike is dirt cheap, no matter the year. but on my 06 i was paying only 72 bux a month for full coverage through state farm, and thats when it was new.
From what I've priced it will be anywhere from $12.75 - $104.01 per month depending on what I decide to get. Reading around about stolen bikes, even though I plan to go with a LoJack, if the bike is stripped, the Comprehensive will be a nice thing to have. Probably going to cost me between $40-70/month, which I'm not about at all. Depends how a ticket I got an unknown amount of time ago comes into play as well; that could tack on another $40 per month. Probably going to go with Comprehensive with a higher deductible, no collision, no PIP, and the required liability. Just have to price it out. Those numbers were through Progressive. How does State Farm compare to Progressive in terms of prices? If you know of course
Old 05-05-2011, 01:11 AM   #53
thewingo

Bike(s):
2011 H-D Iron...1200!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmc View Post
Here's an easy breakdown I once heard

Ninja 500= a v8 Mustang
SS 600= a nice Corvette
1000=high end Ferrari

Generally these bikes would beat these cars handily at a drag strip.

Which one should someone just out of driver's ed be handed the keys to?

Personally I'm glad my first car & my first bike were turds. I didn't feel all that bad when I made the inevitable mistakes. After I knew wtf I was doing I traded up to something I liked.

I'm definitely not going 250, that's just absurd in my mind. I'm taking a look at the ugly Ninja 500, the GS500, SV650, and a couple of 600 SS and weighing all the options with a realistic approach. I know it won't be my last bike. I eventually would love to have a Daytona 675 ....but not for a first bike. A coworker told me if I drop a Daytona I get punched in the face haha. Pretty much the Ninja 500 is holding on by a thread, not a fan of Kawi.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:19 AM   #54
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
I'm pretty much through the crazy phase of my life, I'm 23 going on 24 and just trying to start my life, no need to act a fool and end it before I get to live it you know?
Best advice I have ever heard was "It is your first bike, not your last."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
Offhand, you might check the SV650... it's a twin not an I4 and sporty, but I'd rate it a 'safer' start than an I4.
Yea, My SV is my first bike as well and I have had a few slips of the wrists where if I had been on a sport bike I would have been in some serious trouble aside from messing my underwear up too. I wanted a 600cc sport bike, but the SV insurance is stupid cheap and is still plenty fast to get me in trouble. But "forgiving" is a key factor in getting your first bike. Most beginner bikes are. Most sport bikes WILL make you pay for every mistake you make.

Also I would never equate a ninja 500 to a mustang... lol

Last edited by Perf_White_GT; 05-05-2011 at 01:23 AM.
Perf_White_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:42 AM   #55
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Honda CX500 and VF1100C (Those were last century)
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR
Cannondale R600 & Killer V900 (1HP....thats Human Power)

Quote:
I'm definitely not going 250, that's just absurd in my mind. I'm taking a look at the ugly Ninja 500, the GS500, SV650, and a couple of 600 SS and weighing all the options with a realistic approach. I know it won't be my last bike. I eventually would love to have a Daytona 675 ....but not for a first bike. A coworker told me if I drop a Daytona I get punched in the face haha. Pretty much the Ninja 500 is holding on by a thread, not a fan of Kawi.
If you're set on a 600, the Katana might be a good choice. Not ugly like the Ninja500... still an inline 4, but the power to weight is not as extreme. Maybe a little more forgiving. Still, I see some people ride the out of the 650s. Lots of torque.
"The average street rider, feels he/she is an "above average" street rider... the majority are NOT. (they think they are, but they are not) straight up. The ones that are, typically don't show it, or don't know it....or are getting paid big bucks for it." - GAU-8
TexasPsyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:44 AM   #56
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years

No, if you drop a daytona, David Cameron will buttfuck you.

With no lube. Or a kiss.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:25 AM   #57
mojo
Platinum Member

Bike(s):
2006 R6

The only problem with the technique suggested is how fast a sport bike goes from a mild throttle response to a wild response. If you are a beginner you have no idea how fast this can get you in trouble and throw you down the road.

Also those large brakes that we enjoy as experience riders on SS bikes will lock up easily with a light touch. Until you develop the fine motor skills bikes that are not as sensitive to small inputs are better.

Still to this day I enjoy the 250's as they make me focus on other skills besides compensating for lack of skill with throttle.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #58
unswift

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-6R race
2008 EX250 race

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
The only problem with the technique suggested is how fast a sport bike goes from a mild throttle response to a wild response. If you are a beginner you have no idea how fast this can get you in trouble and throw you down the road.

Also those large brakes that we enjoy as experience riders on SS bikes will lock up easily with a light touch. Until you develop the fine motor skills bikes that are not as sensitive to small inputs are better.

Still to this day I enjoy the 250's as they make me focus on other skills besides compensating for lack of skill with throttle.
It is all about throttle control. If you have great throttle control, the bigger faster bike is no problem. But what novice has great throttle control? To get an idea, watch Keith Code's "Twist of the Wrist II" DVD which spends at least half an hour on just throttle control for advanced riders.

When I broke in my zx6r using the factory rpm guidelines it was essentially like riding a 250 for the first 500 or so miles. The problem is that the "250" powerband on a 600 is such a small range of the bike's available power that once you become "comfortable" with the bike, you will soon start to use the bike real's potential, perhaps before you as a rider are truly ready for it, and then you can quickly get in a lot of trouble.

But hey, I survived with a SS as my first streetbike. Yes, there were close calls (I was 18). That said, I had been riding dirt bikes since I was 8-9. Today I'm very comfortable on my 600 at pace around the track, but to take it to the next level with my 600 I'm actually getting a 250 track bike where I can explore limits and build skills that would be too freaking scary on the 600.

Just my .02
unswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #59
green600
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

User is banned

green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #60
Nowell

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2010 ZX-6R
07 DRZ400 SM SOLD!
96 VS800 Intruder Bobber (rat bike from ) SOLD!

Quote:
I'm definitely not going 250, that's just absurd in my mind.
Go to a track and watch some of these guys on a 250. Switch, and Unswift are examples (Granted I haven't seen Unswift ride yet). They are insanely fast. Fast isn't your CC size. While everyone so far has commented on throttle and the pitfalls, you need to realize that everything about a SS has a very narrow margin for error. They are made to do exactly what you want in a split second. Breaking, steering, etc.

I'm one of those guys that started on a 600 SS cause I was "older" and more "mature". What a bunch of sh*t. While I don't regret it, as someone said, go to a track really learn what you got into with your bike. It gives you a new respect. I ride my gf's 250 as much as I can. Shes just as fast on the highway, and gets better gas milage (and has a gas guage ), and in a month I have seen her advance so far past where I was in a month.

Think its absurd, fine, but don't hate because you haven't tried it.

Its your money, buy what you want.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds for the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end."
Nowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement