MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Deebo
formerly known as v.viney

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Monster S2R 1000
1996 Suzuki Intruder 800

Boots

Ok guys I am almost done piecing together my riding gear. But I need some boots or riding shoes.

I dont plan on going to track anytime soon. I am the occasionally spirited rider. I want to keep my ankles and I want to use them as much as I can with out looking like I am from spaceship troopers.

Any suggestions on brands, comfort, reliability, price range. I wear an 11us tennis shoe. I believe I am a 44euro.

let me know your input
Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What boots should I get? tunaluna Gear Talk 10 03-11-2013 12:38 AM
BOOTS C.Hern5972 Gear Talk 27 05-13-2009 06:45 AM
My new/used boots! fuknrobert Safety Corner Main 21 06-01-2006 09:39 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Highly recommend boots with ankle restraint built in. Nothing can prevent injury in every crash but having ankle restraint can keep you from hyperextending and damaging things you don't wanna damage.
SIDI, Alpinestar, TCX and others, make them. They cost more but something to consider... boots without restraints are just fancy looking, expensive boots. Sure they have toe sliders and ankle pads but leather work boots give you the same protection for less money.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
Stang Man
being rude

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000
2005 KTM 625 SMC(sold)
1994 ZX-11(sold)
1983 Honda Nighthawk(sold)

Member Garage

Do it right and get one with ankle protection.

I have Alpinestars SMX+ that I got over 5 years ago and are holding up well. They are actually pretty comfortable, too!

I got to test them in a high-side getoff on the KTM Motard, and I walked away with no ankle/foot injuries.
Family bikes: V-Star 1100, Harley 883, KLR-650
Stang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
Ouroboros

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
13 BMW R1200 GSA
14 KTM Adventure 1190R
14 KTM 450 XC-W
05 HD Wide Glide, 11 KTM 690 R
81 Yamaha Seca 550

I were the Sidi Canyon, kinda warm in the summer but overall decent boot.
Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
The Preacher

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R6
2002 Suzuki TL 1000R (sold)
1993 Suzuki Katana 750 (sold)

I like Icon Field Armor boots. I can wear them with racing pants or with a pair of jeans. Solid, tough, well made boots that run about $130. http://images.motorcycle-superstore....oots_Black.jpg
1 Samuel 12:24 Only fear the Lord, and serve him in truth with all your heart: for consider how great things he hath done for you.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
Deebo

Bike(s):
1996 Suzuki Intruder 800

Nice, Thanks, This all helps
Old 04-07-2011, 11:48 PM   #7
CaffeineRacer

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

I agree with everyones suggestions about getting something with ankle supports. (In the for sale section there are a nice pair of Sidi Vertices in size Euro45. A great deal considering thats almost a $500 boot). I'm not sure if you commute to work on your bike or use it a lot just for getting around town, but if thats that the case a heavy duty boot with ankle supports might be a little impractical (IMO). I just bought a pair of Teknic Chicane Street boots so that I can ride to and from work without have to change shoes and have something comfortable to wear all day long. Out of the box they looked nice. They have some sick aluminum toe slides that look pretty sweet. They are cut like a high work boot going about 3-4 inches above your ankle bone with hard inserts that fit over your ankle bone, some sort of hard toe support, a thicker grippier portion for the shifter, and a velcro strap to hold the laces in place so they don'y get caught on something on your bike. I wore them around a couple of days and they were awful uncomfortable and as soon as I took out the insole I realized that was why. It was like a 1mm thick piece of plastic. So I went to CVS and got some Dr. Scholls work insert and now they are comfy as can be and not too hot (I have very sweaty feet). So if your looking for something you can wear around all day in the ~100-150 price bracket I would recommend these, but as pointed out earlier lateral ankle support is important and these don't offer much in that department. I'll probably be getting a different boot for weekend riding. Here's a link for you if you're interested.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=8461
CaffeineRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
Deebo

Bike(s):
1996 Suzuki Intruder 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeineRacer View Post
I agree with everyones suggestions about getting something with ankle supports. (In the for sale section there are a nice pair of Sidi Vertices in size Euro45. A great deal considering thats almost a $500 boot). I'm not sure if you commute to work on your bike or use it a lot just for getting around town, but if thats that the case a heavy duty boot with ankle supports might be a little impractical (IMO). I just bought a pair of Teknic Chicane Street boots so that I can ride to and from work without have to change shoes and have something comfortable to wear all day long. Out of the box they looked nice. They have some sick aluminum toe slides that look pretty sweet. They are cut like a high work boot going about 3-4 inches above your ankle bone with hard inserts that fit over your ankle bone, some sort of hard toe support, a thicker grippier portion for the shifter, and a velcro strap to hold the laces in place so they don'y get caught on something on your bike. I wore them around a couple of days and they were awful uncomfortable and as soon as I took out the insole I realized that was why. It was like a 1mm thick piece of plastic. So I went to CVS and got some Dr. Scholls work insert and now they are comfy as can be and not too hot (I have very sweaty feet). So if your looking for something you can wear around all day in the ~100-150 price bracket I would recommend these, but as pointed out earlier lateral ankle support is important and these don't offer much in that department. I'll probably be getting a different boot for weekend riding. Here's a link for you if you're interested.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=8461
Very Informative. Basicly I dont want to be a squid. 90% of my riding is city.I like to ride to work, church, wherever I can, but I dont want to look like a robot. I think I am going to start doing some sunday riding. So I just may need both. But I think your suggestion will do until I become more aggressive. Thank you very much.