MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #101
ninja500r77

Feedback Rating: (0)

does anyone know the legal decible level for the city of houston for motorcycles? i've emailed them, but if anyone knows off hand it would be great. i got a ticket for my bike being too loud. i have a 2001 CBR600F4i with a scorpion slip on.
ninja500r77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Loud pipes might not save lives, but.. gots2no Off Topic 1 12-29-2014 12:16 AM
loud pipes bro Pauly General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 02-28-2014 01:58 PM
Loud pipes and harassment? Doug Cruisers Lounge 78 06-20-2013 04:45 PM
Loud pipes save lives texasyankee General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 04-11-2008 09:52 AM
Loud pipes FTW! Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 12-05-2007 10:28 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #102
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

I think it is around 100-110 db
Old 10-04-2010, 10:13 PM   #103
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #104
spartandude
Custom User Title

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

I was of the opinion that loud pipes worked. As a noob with only 11K miles under my belt I moved up from a stock shadow 600 to a shadow 750 with cobra pipes. I immediately noticed a reduction of doofus cages moving over on me from almost one per day to one per week or less. The one per week continued for the next 40K.

Then I got the results of my hearing test back and...well...I now have tinnitus worse than I did before. So I switched back to stock pipes and thought "well, lets see if loud pipes actually work."

Result? I am back to almost one incident per day and when I rode up to the Firkin and Phoenix on Sunday and had three incidents.

So anecdotal evidence concludes that loud pipes do decrease the frequency of stupid cager .

I am not going to switch because I have not felt in danger in any of these incidents (because I do know how to ride..., I shouldn't have written that. Now I will get run over), I increased my mpg by 30% and I like how the bike sounds. Plus my clutch is weak so I couldn't use WOT before or after the change so I notice no reduction in power as the clutch was the weakest link.

My thoughts, carry on people.
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #105
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

I believe loud pipes places the rider at an advantage in traffic.
Plus nice sounding exhaust on any vehicle is cool.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #106
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCH View Post
There are varying degrees of loud, and there are varying reasons for being so. Ilove the sound of an engine with a performance exhaust. I can't recall the last time I heard a sportbike exhaust that I thought was obnoxiously loud. I really don't generally care for the sound of stock pipes, and have had many many vehicles of two and four wheels with performance aftermarket exhaust systems. Between our two Ducs with 2Bros and Ferracci systems on them, they're far from quiet - buth they're not ear-splittingly loud for the sake of loud either. Can you hear me in traffic? Sure, but I don't rely on it and I appreciate the perdformance gain more than the decibel increase. I see a lot of posts getting a little defensive about their loud sportbike exhaust, but they're probably not the ones that most would find that offensive anyway. We used to have neighbors about 6 houses down on the other side of the street in Georgia that had two Harleys loud enough to wake us two stories up from a dead sleep at 3am- and our baby at the time. Guys were constantly "saving their lives" apparently from all things inanimate and otherwise as judged by the constant throttle whacking. There's a line between loud and douchebaggery.
True that.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:45 AM   #107
JoeF4i
1-75 Ranger

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2004 R6 Raven
2005 CBR600RR
2006 CBR60F4i

I run open pipe. mainly because i bought it like that and havent found an exhaust i love yet
Old 10-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #108
tbertw

Bike(s):
2003 Ninja 250

This is a good discussion. My son in law brought a decibel meter to TMS with us last year. The NASCAR Trucks and the IRL both showed 119 db about 27 rows up at the start of their respective races.

I had a Harley (with a purple haired passenger) go past me on Kuykendahl Sunday evening that seemed almost that loud. I saw everyone he passed look at him. Was it the noise or the chick with the purple hair?

Tim - Spring
tbertw is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement