MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2009, 06:52 AM   #21
Pedro Navaja

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRmgm View Post
take it to Auto Zone or Advance Auto parts and they will charge it for free then test it.

BTW - the battery in my FJR is five years old this month and has 66,000 miles of starting on it.

I am replacing it soon because it doesn't spin the bike over like it used to.
Do what he said.

If the battery charges and drains again, then you got other problems. Means your bike is draining the battery on the ride instead of recharging it ===> alternator problem.
Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery tender, battery charger, trickler? arturo3rd General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 01-17-2015 01:58 PM
battery help kingworm General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 10-05-2014 10:22 AM
Battery Powered Battery Charger ... WTF?!?!? CubanGIXXER Off Topic 5 10-30-2008 09:15 AM
New battery 05cert How To's and Q & A's 4 03-28-2008 01:54 PM
Best brand of battery? Battery tender? Metzzen1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 01-17-2008 08:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #22
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Do what he said.

If the battery charges and drains again, then you got other problems. Means your bike is draining the battery on the ride instead of recharging it ===> alternator problem.
before you scare him into taking drastic measures, a battery charging and not holding charge could be just the battery.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #23
Pedro Navaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
before you scare him into taking drastic measures, a battery charging and not holding charge could be just the battery.
Scare? Drastic? You could be right, but from what he describes that may be a lower probability IMO. (1) He should take the battery to AutoZone to get the free recharge. If the battery recharges, it should be able to hold the charge (multi-meters are great for this). (2) Then mount the battery. With a multi-meter he can check and see if his system is recharging or not. Simple procedure described in most shop manuals. (3) If it's not recharging then to the shop it goes for troubleshooting. In any case now's the time for him to start learning about his bike and using a multi-meter.

Good luck to the noob
Old 10-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #24
makushr1

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R

Took it into Motorcycles Unlimited, they said it was "beyond dead" lol. Got a new one (Yuasa, the same that was in there before). After I put on the sliders and new windscreen (tinted, the guy before me painted it white or some reason) I put in the battery and started it up. Worked! Hooray! There is an autozone right down the street from me, so after MSF this weekend, I'm going to take it there and check the volts to make sure nothing else is wrong, ie alternator.

Thanks for your help guys.
makushr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #25
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Just remember "recharging" by test equipment is the ability to sustain a charge over a ten second period during the test(above 12.5 volts and not over 15v.

I can make a dead battery do this by overcharging it.

Parasitic draw(over draw from system when key is off) would cause a battery to die and this can be checked by running a fused ampmeter inline w the power system of the battery(very unlikely on these bikes and usually outside the range of most riders.)

As for alternator checking; the bike was already sitting and needed to be jumped to ride it home; therefore the generator and stator had to work enough to not only keep the bike running but to also charge the battery to keep the system at sustainable voltage to run. The battery was not a low resistant gateway for the closed loop electrical system, but a draw or load.

Just some ideas for readers. When you get down to how systems function, diagnosis becomes alot easier. Often times people are pushed the wrong way by autostores especially because the fault codes are taken as bibical. Faults are only what the computer sees. You need to understand why the computer would see it(cause/effect.)

example: had he charged the battery and taken it in, it passed... He may have ordered a stator or rectifier.

I get asked all the time going in w my shirt on why Im buying what I am. Its the guys behind the counter that dont know one from another and want to take my word as 'it' ? Hmmm....
Old 10-30-2009, 09:20 PM   #26
Pedro Navaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by makushr1 View Post
...There is an autozone right down the street from me, so after MSF this weekend, I'm going to take it there and check the volts to make sure nothing else is wrong, ie alternator...
Let us know how it works out with the voltage reading after the course. Where are you taking an MSF whereby you use your own bike? In any case good luck with the course.

Advertisement