MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
kawasakijockey
Crotchrocket Scientist

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 zx14
2002 cbr954
1977 kz1000

Some interesting TXDOT title info

Folks always have questions about what to do when they buy or sell a vehicle. My wife's renewal notice had an informative flyer about vehicle title maintenance.

If you are the seller:
1) File a vehicle transfer notification form vtr-346 online at www.txdot.gov free of charge(before now it cost $5). This tells txdot that you no longer own the vehicle and are not responsible for violations such as parking tickets, toll charges, etc. You only have 30 days after the sale to do this to make sure you are liability free.
2) Sign over the title and complete your section of the 130-u form which can be printed from the www.txdot.gov site. Record the date of sale and the buyers name, address, phone number, and drivers lic. number. (I believe you have to put this info on the vtr-346 form)
3) You can keep the license plate or plates. Peel the registration sticker from the windshield too. You can have the license plate transfered to another of your vehicles for a $5 fee at the tax office.

If you are a buyer:
1) Make sure you are getting a clean title. Take the seller with you to the tax office to make sure the title is clean.
2) Ask for vehicle records such as the registration receipt. Make sure to get seller's info. (from his drivers license.)
3)Title the vehicle in your name. You have 20 bus. days or there will be a $25 penalty and $25 additional each month you are late. Remember, if you dont have the 130-u form signed by the seller you cant transfer the title.
4) Download a Temporary Vehicle Transit Permit at www.txdot.gov if the seller keeps his plates. It is required to legally drive the vehicle to the tax office for transfer.

Just because someone has a blue title in hand does not mean there isnt a lein on it. If you suspect for a minute that a seller is shady, get them to the tax office to finish the transfer. If they refuse to go, you are taking a huge risk.

Last edited by kawasakijockey; 09-23-2009 at 12:27 PM.
kawasakijockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Street Legal Title Info Bgsxr1000 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 05-05-2014 07:51 AM
Lots of info on what kind of bike to start off with, but what about info on upgrading phrenetiK General Discussion (Moto Related) 46 03-08-2013 06:32 PM
Interesting information about TXDOT lisiecki1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 06-23-2009 11:37 AM
Help I need info on registering a bike w/ a salvaged title. Mrs. ~T~ Off Topic 24 10-10-2007 09:51 PM
TXDOT CLONED TRUCK FastLine Off Topic 49 09-30-2007 07:46 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
DanteLee
Sexy Dynamite

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
suzuki katana 96(sold)
honda cbr f4i 06 (sold)
ride my neighbors harley cuz he doesnt ride it

good find, thanks

sticky maybe?
Old 09-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
jakeg

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years

Ok I have a question, If you pay off your car from a dealership. How long do you have to get it put in your name?

will you incur and fees or fines if has been a year or more?
jakeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
ALEXD
HOUSTUNNAS

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
05 R6
SOLD-00 GSXR 750 StreetFighter
SOLD- 99 GSXR 600
SOLD-01 YAMAHA R6
03 600 RR

good info
Old 09-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
kawasakijockey
Crotchrocket Scientist

Bike(s):
2007 zx14
2002 cbr954
1977 kz1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeg View Post
Ok I have a question, If you pay off your car from a dealership. How long do you have to get it put in your name?

will you incur and fees or fines if has been a year or more?
You have 20 bus. days from the dated relinquished paperwork of a dealer. I am assuming you mean a used car lot.
If the transfer papers from the dealer are dated further back than 20 bus. days, yes, you will be charged the $25 a month late penalty. A lot of the smaller dealers keep the title and relinquish it at payoff. Ligitimate dealerships, or loan institutions I should say, issue a lienholders title right after you buy the car and send a blue clear title within 2 weeks of payoff. It is free and clear in your name at the moment you get it in the mail. No transfer necessary because all the fees and taxes are part of the purchase loan agreement.
kawasakijockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
TeleRomeo
Wide Freaking Open!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 ZX-6R Track
Cr125 Braaap

This needs to be a sticky... I see plenty of threads with issues/questions when it comes to selling/buying and transferring...
Old 08-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
Houstonbussa

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
2003 Suzuki Marauder

Member Garage

Sticky?
Old 08-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleRomeo View Post
This needs to be a sticky... I see plenty of threads with issues/questions when it comes to selling/buying and transferring...
Already is...

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer-Joy View Post
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
EZcomes

Bike(s):
R6
04 ZX10 Sold
02 Gixxer600 Sold
01 kawa250 Sold

Send a message via Yahoo to EZcomes
It's good FYI, thanks.
EZcomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
ekfraz

Bike(s):
2013 Can Am Spyder RT
2014 Yamaha Bolt

Great Info. Always get a title and not just a Bill-OF-Sale! The bill of sale will not hold up in court if need be. I had a friend but a Dozer and all the seller could give him was a bill of sale, well to make a long story short it still had leins on it for many thousands of dollars and he lost lots of money and the dozer, same thing can happen with bikes and cars.
ekfraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement