Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more


Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #81
Pro Racer Mode Enabled
tiatool's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Gunspoint
Feedback Rating: (14)
Posts: 9,027

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Originally Posted by cedestech View Post
I cut and paste all that only to find tiatool did it at the same time...

You can do the queensland one! LOL. There are PLENTY of countries that utilize a tiered licencing system. I don't know where TXZixxer is getting his info.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice Needed Los Off Topic 34 04-01-2015 11:20 AM
Advice Needed KhmerStyle How To's and Q & A's 6 06-20-2014 10:48 PM
Advice needed! GQ* Off Topic 16 01-10-2009 04:57 AM
Advice Needed ThomasNinja650 Off Topic 2 08-06-2008 11:03 PM
Help/advice needed BigComfy Off Topic 1 06-26-2007 12:14 PM
Old 07-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #82
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2009
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 5,253

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Where is this $1500 busa? I have one in the garage for 2k. Joe may want it back at some point though.
Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #83
Posts: n/a

Member Garage

Originally Posted by tiatool View Post

To ride a motorcycle on the road you must:
* Be at least 17 years old (16 for a moped)
* Have a driving licence which allows you to ride motorcycles (category A)

That licence can be any of the following:
* A provisional driving licence with motorcycle entitlement
* Full car licence. This automatically provides provisional motorcycle entitlement
* Full motorcycle licence
* Full moped licence. This provides automatic provisional motorcycle entitlement if you're aged 17 years or over

Provisional motorcycle entitlement entitles learners to ride a motorcycle:
* Up to 125cc
* With a maximum power output of 11kW (14.6bhp)

Learners who wish to ride a side-car outfit can do so with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg.
If you're not sure about any of this then you can get further advice from us or your trainer.

With provisional motorcycle entitlement you must not:
* Ride on motorways
* Carry a pillion passenger
* Ride without L-plates (or D-plates in Wales)

Two year limit
Provisional motorcycle licences used to have a life of 2 years. But as from 1st February 2001, motorcycle licensing rules were changed. All new provisional licences showing motorcycle entitlement issued from that date are valid until the holder's 70th birthday.

Holders of the old licences can apply to have the licence replaced with one that will include provisional motorcycle entitlement valid to age 70. Replacement licences should be applied for from DVLA using the normal application forms (available from Post Offices).

Existing motorcycle provisional licence holders who do not pass a motorcycle test before their provisional licence expires are NOT now subject to the 12 month wait before they can get new entitlement.

How to get a licence
If you don't already have a licence with provisional motorcycle entitlement then collect a D1 form ( driving licence application ) and a D750 form ( photocard application ) from a Post Office or from DVLA ( 0870 240 0009 ). Complete the forms and send them to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Centre ( DVLC ) at Swansea.

All provisional licences now automatically include motorcycle entitlement but some post offices are still issuing the old application forms, on which you had to tick the 'with motorcycles' box to get learner motorcycle entitlement included.

If you want to ride a motorcycle you can ignore this section of the application form or you can tick it 'just to make sure'!

Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) All learner motorcyclists and moped riders must complete CBT before riding on the road unless they:
* Passed a full moped test after 1 December 1990
* Live and ride on specified offshore islands
* Already hold a Certificate of Completion (DL196) obtained during a previous motorcycle entitlement or when riding a moped
* Intend to ride a moped and passed the car tests before 1st Feb 2001

When you've completed CBT you'll be given a DL196. You must produce this before you can take the practical motorcycle test.

A DL196 has a 2 year life. If you don't pass both your theory and practical tests in that time then you'll have to take the CBT course again.

A DL196 obtained on a moped is valid for a motorcycle when the rider reaches the age of 17.

Types of full Licence There are three types of full motorcycle licences to aim for:

1. Category P - Moped

2. Category A1 - Light Motorcycle Licence - to receive this you must take and pass your test on a motorcycle with
* an engine size over 75cc but not more than 125cc
* a power output of not more than 11kW (14.6 bhp)
* a maximum speed of not more than 100 kph (62.5 mph)

You will now have full licence entitlement on any motorcycle up to 125cc and with a power output of up to 11kW (14.6 bhp). This licence is intended for riders of C90s and similar who don't intend to ride anything bigger. It will not become an unrestricted category A licence after two years. If you take a test on a C90 or similar then you will have to take another test to ride anything bigger than a 125cc, 11kW bike with a maximum speed of over 100kph (62.5mph).

3. Category A - Standard Motorcycle Licence - (aka A2) - this is what you'll obtain if you pass your test on a motorcycle over 120cc but not over 125cc and is capable of more than 100 kph (62.5mph). With this licence you are entitled to ride a motorcycle up to 25kW (33 bhp) and a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kw/kg.

There is no restriction on engine size (cc) so you can now ride a bike bigger than a 125cc. There are plenty of bikes around in the 125cc to 400cc range that produce no more than 25kW (33bhp) - ask your local dealer. You can ride a bike with a power output over 25kW but you'll need a restrictor kit on it to restrict the power output to 25kW. Any good motorcycle mechanic will fit a restrictor for you and give you the necessary documentation. Your insurance will cost more though because insurance companies tend to disregard restrictors.

So does this mean that you're going to have to buy a 14.6bhp, 125cc bike to learn and practice and take your test on then sell it and buy a 33bhp, bigger than 125cc bike after passing the test to take full advantage of what you're allowed to ride? Well, some do and some don't. What most people do (the under 21 year olds usually) is one of the following two options:

1. Do the CBT, buy a 14.6bhp, 125cc bike and get a bit of practice on the road with L plates, then go back to the training centre to do some pre-test training which is not compulsory but most advisable. Then they take and pass (hopefully) the tests and sell or trade in their 125cc, 14.6 bhp bike and get a 400cc (or any size they want), 33bhp bike or over 33bhp and have a restrictor kit put on it for about £150. After 2 years they can ride a bike over 33bhp.

Granby Motors offers a range of low-cost, brand new 125cc motorcycles and we're glad to take your old bike in part exchange when you decide to trade up.

2. They skip the practising on the roads with L plates bit. They just do CBT, pre-test training and test within a couple of weeks all on the training centre's bike. Then, if they pass the test first time, they buy a 400cc (or any size) bike up to 33bhp or over 33bhp and have a restrictor kit put on it. Most under 21s choose a 400cc rather than a 600cc or more as the insurance is much lower.

After two years you may ride any size and power of motorcycle without taking another test.

If you're 21 or over or, if you reach 21 within the 2 year period there are quicker ways of obtaining entitlement to ride a more powerful bike: The Direct Access Scheme (DAS) and the Accelerated Access Scheme (AAS).

If you pass your practical test on an automatic motorcycle, your licence will be restricted to automatic bikes only.

Vehicle Documentation The Registration Document (VRD)
This contains details of your motorcycle:
* Make and model
* Year of first registration
* Engine size and number

It also gives your name and address.

If you buy a new motorcycle, the dealer will register it with the DVLA. A registration document will then be sent directly to you from the DVLA.

If you buy a second-hand one you'll receive the VRD from the seller. Fill in the "Change of ownership" section and send it to the DVLA at the address given on the document. You should do this immediately as it is an offence not to notify the DVLA.

Vehicle Excise Duty
Also known as the 'vehicle licence' or 'road tax'. You must display a 'tax disc' on the vehicle.
You can get the vehicle licence application form at any post office and most main post offices can accept your application.

The fee varies with engine size. The classes are:

* Not over 150cc £15.00
* Over 150cc up to 400cc £32.00
* Over 400cc up to 600cc £47.00
* All other motorcycles £64.00

When you apply to renew your vehicle excise licence you must produce:
* A vehicle test certificate (MOT) if your motorcycle is three years old and over
* A valid certificate of insurance
* An excise licence renewal form

Older motorcycles
Motorcycles registered before 1st of January 1973 are exempt from tax but should display a tax free (historic) disc.

see how easy our system is

ever ridden a 33bhp Fireblade, I have
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #84
Funny saying goes here
Bigmarky's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 522

Experience: 10+ years

non running sv650 :(

long posts are long
Bigmarky is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 AM. is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy