MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Question/Advice from Disabled Individuals

Those with mental disability need not comment.

Would you still participate if you knew that you could ultimately lose your leg if it were broken?

Short version:
When faced with others (doctors, family) telling you that you just couldn't do something did you listen, or did you do it anyway. I let Syvanna play, and I found a doctor who supported my decision.

Long version:
You guys all know about Syvanna's injury nearly six years ago. Well, this year she's in 9th grade and decided to try out for soccer. After a couple of months practicing with the team (PE) she started having pretty severe pain, so I took her to her pcp who took an x-ray. Her bone was nearly see-through and he told her she cannot play, but that he was referring her to ortho for follow-up.

Initially she did stop practicing, but was very upset about it. She missed over two weeks of practice until I got my dad to write a letter to the school saying that she had no limits on her activity, so she could try out for the team. She made JV.

Eventually she did go to an ortho for the follow-up. He ordered her a custom brace and told her she has Post-Traumatic Arthritis, a flattened talus, venous stasis, venous degeneration, etc... basically he said this is your problem and you have to live with it. He also said he would not limit her activity.
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Ransomware' a growing threat to businesses, individuals NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 07-10-2015 10:30 PM
Would anyone be interested in a Sportbike competition for private individuals? Got-Busa? General Discussion (Moto Related) 87 12-13-2013 04:10 PM
question and advice pls. adam713 General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 05-26-2010 07:48 AM
Fantasy Question/Advice cashtown Sports 2 09-05-2008 12:27 PM
Does the 2nd Amendment really give individuals the right to bear arms? Petro Off Topic 8 12-07-2007 01:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
AiJay
AJ... that's the name.

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Huffy 10sp

Send a message via AIM to AiJay Send a message via MSN to AiJay
Sound like you're taking the precautions to have Syvanna do what she loves. You only live once. And with the brace you mentioned, she will be every bit as competitive as the rest of the team.

All sports risk injury (as you know I did martial arts for 15 years and had my fair share of injuries) and if she's happy and willing to accept the risks, I'm all for it. Best of luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
That and piitb.
AiJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
BigComfy

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
Missing: Naked SV650, FZ1, Night Hawk
Best Upgrade:Sv650 Suspension full credit (Motorcycles Unlimited)

Member Garage

I did for a number of years but as the pain has become worse I've toned it down. I just don't want to have my leg/hip snap especially since im not currently working. Otherwise I push but within limits.
BigComfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:58 AM   #4
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
1997 XR400 TARDED

That sounds like some serious stuff there. I would be more concerned with her future. Are there any treatment options? I can understand her wanting to play and all, but at what cost? Playing some soccer now, and possibly losing a limb later. Its a difficult situation. You know your daughter better than anyone else, but most 17 year olds, dont have the mental capacity to think as far ahead as she needs to be thinking about this. Brace or no brace accidents happen. If you think she truely understands the risk and you completely trust the ortho. Go for it.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:56 AM   #5
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Brandy,
I think you did the right thing. As long as she wears the brace and is happy. Make sure she tells you if she is having more pain. Let her follow what she loves to do. If she doesnt do it, she might regret it..

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Tough call. As you know I had the same surgery she had. I do take extra measures so as not to jeapodize my arm. Personally I would say no. Going to be hard later in life If she is missing a limb just because she wanted to play soccer. Kids cannot grasp the concept of life, old age and the future in general. That is the parents job. While she may dislike the present situation, she'll understand it later.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
craigntx
team ftp

Feedback Rating: (21)

Bike(s):
all sold, wrecked, or stolen

Find another activity
Old 12-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
Tough call. As you know I had the same surgery she had. I do take extra measures so as not to jeapodize my arm. Personally I would say no. Going to be hard later in life If she is missing a limb just because she wanted to play soccer. Kids cannot grasp the concept of life, old age and the future in general. That is the parents job. While she may dislike the present situation, she'll understand it later.

this is kinda what i told brandy, i totally understand her energy to play and everything, but the price might be higher that what she think

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

I'm in my chair but I still do a lot of things. I try to not let it stop me from doing what I want to do. But at the same time, I know my limitations.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #10
Squoddybody
This is me.

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx View Post
I'm in my chair but I still do a lot of things. I try to not let it stop me from doing what I want to do. But at the same time, I know my limitations.
My question to you, then, is IF you had known doing what caused your accident was going to lead you to your life now, would you still have done it?

Syvanna has a lot of pain when she's active, but she loves being active. I cry with her everytime the medication (ibuprofen, acetaminophen, naproxen - nothing stronger is prescribed) can't take away her pain. She knows when she's had enough and knows to sit out, and I've told all her gym teachers and coaches to listen to her.

My gramma lived almost her entire life with only her left arm. She was never handicapped or disabled in my eyes. I never thought there was something she couldn't do. She was my idol and I always wanted to be just like her. I don't see having a disability (loss or non-use of a limb/limbs) as a negative part of life; it's just another feature of who we may be.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #11
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Basicly you are asking me if I would have chosen to be in a wheelchair the rest of my life. Of course not, but nothing in life is certain and you can't live like it is. You cannot live life looking at all the bad things in life and expect to live. My Dr. said these things happen to people that have active lives. It doesn't happen to people that sit on a couch all day. I think that is why it makes it harder for those that do want to maintain that active life. You just have to live it to the fullest, do anything and everything you want to do and don't let anyone else run your life. You only get one chance in this world. Once it's over, it's over. Don't live a life of regret. Shoulda woulda, coulda never left the couch of life.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
Squoddybody
This is me.

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx View Post
Basicly you are asking me if I would have chosen to be in a wheelchair the rest of my life. Of course not, but nothing in life is certain and you can't live like it is. You cannot live life looking at all the bad things in life and expect to live. My Dr. said these things happen to people that have active lives. It doesn't happen to people that sit on a couch all day. I think that is why it makes it harder for those that do want to maintain that active life. You just have to live it to the fullest, do anything and everything you want to do and don't let anyone else run your life. You only get one chance in this world. Once it's over, it's over. Don't live a life of regret. Shoulda woulda, coulda never left the couch of life.
Beautifully said. Thank you.

Syvanna began playing soccer when she was four, like most children. She had a natural talent and excelled at the sport - usually by half time we had to ask her to stop scoring and let her friends on the team have a chance to kick the ball into the goal (12+ goals by the half). By the time the teams split into boys / girls, the boys she had been playing with asked her to join their team rather than the girl's team. The year before her accident (when she was 8), she was moved up a level (9-12) to play with older kids because she was so good (and her b-day was only two months away from the cutoff age).

Since her accident she has not played soccer - not kicked the ball, not even asked about it, until this summer. She told me she wanted to try out for the HS team. I am VERY proud of her for taking control of her life and her injury and becoming more than a disabled person.

I realize that she could easily break her leg and *possibly* lose it, but I hope that the fear of losing her leg won't keep her sitting on the couch for the rest of her life.

Knowing that riding a motorcycle is dangerous, we all still choose to do it. We ride faster than we ought; sometimes irresponsibly so, but we still do it.

I guess I'd rather live and I'd rather see my daughter live.

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #13
yumbeef
beef eater

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
08 ninja 250r
06 cbr600rr

life is tough. good luck with whatever path in life yall take.
yumbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #14
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

well you can live or you can just be alive...
living will bring you pain and sorrow, but with out those how do you know how precious the joys of life really are?
Being alive without living is not something I want to deal with or wish on others. That choice however is sometimes easier for us to make for ourselves than it is for someone we love.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #15
Squoddybody
This is me.

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
well you can live or you can just be alive...
living will bring you pain and sorrow, but with out those how do you know how precious the joys of life really are?
Being alive without living is not something I want to deal with or wish on others. That choice however is sometimes easier for us to make for ourselves than it is for someone we love.
Truer words never spoken. Especially if that person is your child.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #16
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'98 vfr800fi
ssr razkull
pink electric kid's scoot

Member Garage

i've got a 10% disability from the VA. my legs were breaking down on me during air force basic. and i wound up having a lot of pain in my legs, hips, lower back, and feet, omg the foot pain.
i used to love to run. i was a really fast runner in high school. i ran around everywhere.
in basic i guess the constant running, marching, stomping around in combat boots did my legs in. i had multiple stress fractures in my tibial plateaus, mid feet, and hips. they didnt heal up like expected, and after several months i got a medical discharge.
i still run once in a while. i have a lot of pain still. some days i think im going to be back on crutches. i went for my 1st "big" run a couple of weeks ago. 2.5 miles was pretty big for me. i was a little scared that i would upset an old injury and have that fun all over again, but i didnt. my muscles were sore and i hidnt have much leg or foot pain. this was my 1st big run. i was discharged in 04. :/

my advice to squad would be to let your daughter know that she can play soccer if she wants, but she might want to take it easy. or play in moderation.
i never did soccer. do they have a bench? can the coach let a player sit for a while?
it would also help, probably, to get some nice, comfy, light shoes. with my problem, i picked up some asics on the base and they were really good. gel kayano, i think is what they were called. find something lightweight that fits her foot well, offers support in the sole, and can breathe.

i'm not as physically active as i used to be, but that could also just be me getting older and beaten down by my kids. bleh.
good luck to syvanna. i hope she can enjoy soccer.
remember, a doctor isnt a law maker. they know what is best for your body, but not whats best for your spirit.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #17
imma_stocker
cager

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 5 years

I've dislocated 3 of my lower vertebrae doing exactly what I wanted to do, plus a literal twist of fate. It hasn't caused anything long term other than constant pain and a back that pops a lot, so clearly not qualified for your "disabled" criteria.

My $0.02: All I could do as a good parent is make sure she understands her odds as best she can. Prolly visit a clinic, hospital and physical rehab center. I'm sure face to face is the most effective channel. #no-refunds
Old 01-05-2012, 01:16 AM   #18
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Good luck with everything! You have my prayers.
CraigRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:38 AM   #19
level5
moving chicane

I think all the posters here is mentally disable.

I broke my leg in Sept 2010 in racing. I was in points leading several class championships. With one race left in the season and less than one month of healing. Leg still swollen, on crutches, and unable to get on the bike without help. I decided to race the last race and win what I could. I work too hard, spend too much money and take too much risks that year and many years before that to throw the championships down the drain. I got lucky to finished up the last race without losing my leg. If I had crash, I would surely lose that leg. I don't think it is worth trading a leg for a moment of fame. I did it because I was stupid, selfish, desperate, and determined. I sat out this last season and my leg is still healing and I can't even jog or speed walk without that limp. No one knows, remember or care of what I did. Looks like my racing dream has come to an end.

Unless your daughter is taking the school to district/state championship, or going pro, I would not risk it. There are other things in life that she can do and excel and can enjoy the same rewards. Live life as it would end tomorrow will surely end it tomorrow. You can live life or be alive, I would go with the latter. Nothing wrong being alive and enjoy many other things life has got to offers. Good luck with your decision.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement