MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #1
mrh

Feedback Rating: (0)

When you didn't show up for training

So you paid your money, booked a rider course and then didn't show up? What now?
Well, understand that most training providers are private small businesses. That said, we understand that sometimes life happens and will almost always try to work with you. But please also realize that we cannot survive long by regularly giving away the only product we have to sell. Class sizes are fixed by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and the state, so any empty chair due to someone reserving but not showing up is space that we can't get back (just like an airplane seat. Once the plane has taken off, it can't be resold.) That said, we need some kind of documentation or proof to justify eating $$.

Excuses we hear:
"I'm sick" (fine. Just like school, all we need to see is a doctor's note or receipt from an emergency clinic and we can work with you.)
"I had an emergency." (What was it? Can you provide some kind of documentation?)
"My car broke down." (Send us a copy of the towing bill or car repair receipt.)
"My company called me out of town at the last minute." Got a hotel receipt or other such proof?)
"My (dad, brother, mother, sister, nephew, niece, grandson, etc.) got sick/injured and I had to take them to the hospital. (See item 1)
"I had a car accident on the way to class." (A copy of the police report is all we need to see.)

Things that don't work at all:
"I went to the wrong place." Every student gets a confirmation letter with exact address. Some providers (us included) send out reminders. And if you're not sure where to go, there's this marvelous invention called a telephone. Call us.
"I thought I signed up for another date." (See above)
"I forgot." Not our problem.
"I overslept." Not our problem.
"I ran out of gas." Not our problem.

Of course, some folks simply try to claim to their credit card provider that they never authorized the charge. Don't even bother with that one. It's very easy to show you made the purchase.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Texans training camp resumes under lens of 'Hard Knocks' show NewsBot Sports 0 08-11-2015 01:00 PM
International motorcycle show & 2012 Ducati fashion show NinjaPunk General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 12-10-2012 07:30 PM
K9 Training Collar and k9 Training Gun sullivan Miscellaneous (Non-Moto-Related) 11 05-19-2012 11:00 PM
Car show, truck show, and bike show at Championship chevrolet on12/18/10 That1WhiteGuy Events, Meets and Rides 12 12-19-2010 01:46 PM
The LEO didn't do anything! Redux General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 03-10-2009 08:11 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2018, 06:48 AM   #2
EMTP435

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2012 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited
2004 Sportster 883 XL

I know I've heard everyone of those excuses and then some!!! I had one student who was involved in an accident TWICE trying to get to my classes. Both times he brought his police report. Needless to say he WANTED to learn to ride and I worked with him.

I send out a minimum of 3 emails to everyone registered. They are very detailed as to what is required, where to go, and when to be there. Folks still try to say "I never got anything". Funny thing about sending things via email called 'tracking'.

Or, how many will show up without the required gear? "I didn't know what I needed." Really? How many times did you read ANY of the emails that lists all the gear you need? Footwear is the biggest thing. Seems people just have no idea what OVER THE ANKLE means and will still show up in sneakers.

And, yeah, don't try to reverse that credit card charge. It won't work, especially if we have your signature on a waiver form....
Old 02-04-2018, 07:28 AM   #3
SilverBullet

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2003 KTM 200EXC
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTP435 View Post
...Folks still try to say "I never got anything". Funny thing about sending things via email called 'tracking'...
Tracking doesn't verify someone received an email only that the email you sent was delivered to their email server. Email servers have been known to block, miss route and even delete emails. You need to send a "read receipt" request and the receiver allows the receipt sent back to you to guarantee.

_
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
EMTP435

Bike(s):
2012 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited
2004 Sportster 883 XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
Tracking doesn't verify someone received an email only that the email you sent was delivered to their email server. Email servers have been known to block, miss route and even delete emails. You need to send a "read receipt" request and the receiver allows the receipt sent back to you to guarantee.

_
Yes sir. I do Read receipt and delivery receipts. Most times, they have to check their spam folders. It all bills down to "if in doubt, call the school"!!!
EMTP435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #5
mrh

Furthermore....

We often hear: "Nobody reads email anymore." Might be true, but in business correspondence that is the only way, short of mailing via snail mail, to get your information to you. We can't send out that kind of stuff via social media, and it's both unrealistic and impractical to expect a personal text or phone call for every student.

Best thing to do if you have a class scheduled and don't get an email from your provider is CALL THEM ON THE PHONE. Even if they can't answer (very few schools have receptionists. Most are run by folks that usually have to be "in the field" and therefore rely on voicemail.) rest assured they will get your message and get back to you as fast as possible.

Please do NOT wait until the last minute. Remember that you will need time to get your eCourse done prior to your first class session. If you have not received your eCourse code, you need to call right away.

Finally, when in doubt look at your provider's website. You'll usually find, in the FAQs, addresses and information on your class.

Advertisement