MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #1
MaxGs
Veritas Aequitas
 
MaxGs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NW houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,283

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW GS Adventure









Ben Spies Comback?

ď...One-time MotoGP race winner Ben Spies says he is considering a comeback to racing...Ē

It would be nice to have him back. Almost no americans at the global level in roadracing today.

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/ne...racing-976749/
__________________
MaxGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What has Spies been up too RACER X Taking it to the Track 4 08-16-2013 08:21 PM
BEN SPIES FTW mkgsxr General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-17-2012 05:54 PM
Spies to pay $2M Grinchy Taking it to the Track 3 06-07-2010 11:55 PM
What should spies do? aznhero913 Taking it to the Track 38 07-31-2009 08:51 AM
MIA comback Wensday night 9/14 mr_joe Events, Meets and Rides 35 09-14-2005 09:15 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2017, 08:47 AM   #2
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled
 
tiatool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Gunspoint
Feedback Rating: (14)
Posts: 9,063

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100





He would clean up if he stays stateside.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:22 AM   #3
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off
 
bumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 13,256


Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900






I have to question, is he wanting to make a comeback because he loves racing and just can't stay away? Because it's a passion that's driving him to come back?
Or is it to try to restart his professional career? To try to compete at the top again? Like. because he wants the money and fame.



He said, "Being away for four and a half years, if I was to come back, it would have to be the same deals as what I left, or I do not come back."

That doesn't sound passion driven.
__________________
Asphalt is for racing... dirt is for growing potatoes. - J. Diester
When seconds count... the police are only minutes away.
Grow up and be a productive member of society already.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"

Last edited by bumblebee; 11-20-2017 at 09:24 AM.
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:23 AM   #4
KuroRazgriz
Trackday Noob
 
KuroRazgriz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northwest Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 279

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki SV650S SEGA Edition









Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGs View Post
ď...One-time MotoGP race winner Ben Spies says he is considering a comeback to racing...Ē

It would be nice to have him back. Almost no americans at the global level in roadracing today.

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/ne...racing-976749/
I've been wondering why is that? From the early 90's to mid 2000's there were quite a few of us. What happened? Did we become a bunch of wussies all of the sudden?
__________________
Gotta Go Fast
KuroRazgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #5
MaxGs
Veritas Aequitas
 
MaxGs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NW houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,283

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW GS Adventure









I think it coincides with the disaster that came of AMA Pro Roadracing. I donít know what led up to the sale of AMA to the France family (nascar), but what a total disaster. It will be years before we produce talent the likes of hayden, spies, roberts, and edwards again.
__________________
MaxGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:31 AM   #6
MaxGs
Veritas Aequitas
 
MaxGs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NW houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,283

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW GS Adventure









.... and in a similar vein, years before the spanish motorcycle racing armada begins to dim... they really have it figured out in spain.
__________________
MaxGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:36 AM   #7
skelator
Just US Racing
 
skelator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Earth
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 4,110

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GT Performer









Why did Ben leave?
__________________
It's Better to be Hated for who you are, Than Loved for who you are not !
skelator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:44 AM   #8
MaxGs
Veritas Aequitas
 
MaxGs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NW houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,283

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW GS Adventure









Injuries.

I wonder how many remember the dorna politics related to spies...

How dorna decided a new rider could not move directly to a factory team just as spies was negotiating his wsb to motogp transistion.... and how dorna conveniently dropped that rule for marquez.

Then when spies did get to yamaha (replacing rossi who went to ducati) his crew wasn’t up to par... recall that he BROKE HIS SWINGARM at laguna and suffered serious injuries as a result. He also had brake faiure that season and other issues. Spies yamaha contract was not renewed clearing the way for rossi’s return.
__________________
MaxGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:45 AM   #9
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off
 
bumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 13,256


Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900






Quote:
Originally Posted by skelator View Post
Why did Ben leave?
He got injured to the point that he had no choice but to lay off for at least a few years, to rebuild strength.
Shoulder as I recall.
__________________
Asphalt is for racing... dirt is for growing potatoes. - J. Diester
When seconds count... the police are only minutes away.
Grow up and be a productive member of society already.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #10
KuroRazgriz
Trackday Noob
 
KuroRazgriz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northwest Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 279

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki SV650S SEGA Edition









Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGs View Post
I think it coincides with the disaster that came of AMA Pro Roadracing. I donít know what led up to the sale of AMA to the France family (nascar), but what a total disaster. It will be years before we produce talent the likes of hayden, spies, roberts, and edwards again.
Do you mind explaining to me a little what kind of disaster it was? Sorry, I didn't get deep into the moto racing lore until 2013.
__________________
Gotta Go Fast
KuroRazgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #11
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off
 
bumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 13,256


Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900






Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroRazgriz View Post
Do you mind explaining to me a little what kind of disaster it was? Sorry, I didn't get deep into the moto racing lore until 2013.
American roadracing was pretty well controlled by the AMA. The rules had gotten screwy over time and popularity declined badly.
The only race that got any attention was the Daytona 200.

Eventually AMA sold the racing stuff to the France family that owns Daytona Speedway and controls NASCAR.
They proceeded to try to turn motorcycle roadracing into NASCAR by REALLY up the rules.
Popularity really plummeted and so they sold off the rights to a group that had been cobbled together by a bunch of motorcycle industry and racing insiders, with the intention of saving American motorcycle racing.
That brings us to today where it's controlled by MotoAmerica.
__________________
Asphalt is for racing... dirt is for growing potatoes. - J. Diester
When seconds count... the police are only minutes away.
Grow up and be a productive member of society already.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #12
MaxGs
Veritas Aequitas
 
MaxGs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NW houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,283

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW GS Adventure









Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
American roadracing was pretty well controlled by the AMA. The rules had gotten screwy over time and popularity declined badly.
The only race that got any attention was the Daytona 200.

Eventually AMA sold the racing stuff to the France family that owns Daytona Speedway and controls NASCAR.
They proceeded to try to turn motorcycle roadracing into NASCAR by REALLY up the rules.
Popularity really plummeted and so they sold off the rights to a group that had been cobbled together by a bunch of motorcycle industry and racing insiders, with the intention of saving American motorcycle racing.
That brings us to today where it's controlled by MotoAmerica.
BB, didnít Spies win the ama championship in Ď06, Ď07, and Ď08 racing against Mladin?

France bought AMA in Ď08, so that would mean popularity plummetted while Spies was racing Mladin for the AMA superbike championships. That was some of the most exciting racing Iíve ever watched.

Are you sure it was a drop in popularity that caused the sale and not the AMA guys cashing out after building a successful series?
__________________
MaxGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #13
ninenine
cmra expert
 
ninenine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,744

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike








Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
I have to question, is he wanting to make a comeback because he loves racing and just can't stay away? Because it's a passion that's driving him to come back?
Or is it to try to restart his professional career? To try to compete at the top again? Like. because he wants the money and fame.



He said, "Being away for four and a half years, if I was to come back, it would have to be the same deals as what I left, or I do not come back."

That doesn't sound passion driven.
He is a professional. A professional isn't going to pay to ride a motorcycle. To them, that's their job and how they provide for their family. Does Ben have passion for motorcycles? Yes. If you follow his social media (IG/FB), he is always posting videos of him on something 2 wheels (most recently he was here at Cresson riding).

I can see where his comments can be taken the other way, but I can bet he is meaning he is down to ride, but as long as it's not coming out of his pocket. To the people I've talked to, this is what is determining whether he races in MotoAmerica or not. I believe he is trying to work a deal with ducati.
__________________
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:HoPD,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Moto Bros, Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Optimal Racing,Motul
ninenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:14 AM   #14
KuroRazgriz
Trackday Noob
 
KuroRazgriz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northwest Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 279

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki SV650S SEGA Edition









Well, that is just...sad.

Soo...we're just kind of the bottom tier road racing series compared to the rest of the world. Sort of speak.

Thanks for the clarification bumblebee.
__________________
Gotta Go Fast
KuroRazgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #15
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off
 
bumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 13,256


Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900






Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGs View Post
BB, didnít Spies win the ama championship in Ď06, Ď07, and Ď08 racing against Mladin?

France bought AMA in Ď08, so that would mean popularity plummetted while Spies was racing Mladin for the AMA superbike championships. That was some of the most exciting racing Iíve ever watched.

Are you sure it was a drop in popularity that caused the sale and not the AMA guys cashing out after building a successful series?
You're probably right. I was operating from memory but now that you say that, I think the AMA WAS just cashing out. I remember reading that they didn't really want to be a racing governing body, they were more interested in being advocates for the industry in general and politically in particular.
__________________
Asphalt is for racing... dirt is for growing potatoes. - J. Diester
When seconds count... the police are only minutes away.
Grow up and be a productive member of society already.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:33 AM   #16
MaxGs
Veritas Aequitas
 
MaxGs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NW houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,283

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW GS Adventure









Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroRazgriz View Post
Well, that is just...sad.

Soo...we're just kind of the bottom tier road racing series compared to the rest of the world. Sort of speak.

Thanks for the clarification bumblebee.
We are clearly at the bottom ranks in terms of developing world class road racing talent.
__________________
MaxGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:33 AM   #17
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off
 
bumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 13,256


Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900






Quote:
Originally Posted by ninenine View Post
He is a professional. A professional isn't going to pay to ride a motorcycle. To them, that's their job and how they provide for their family. Does Ben have passion for motorcycles? Yes. If you follow his social media (IG/FB), he is always posting videos of him on something 2 wheels (most recently he was here at Cresson riding).

I can see where his comments can be taken the other way, but I can bet he is meaning he is down to ride, but as long as it's not coming out of his pocket. To the people I've talked to, this is what is determining whether he races in MotoAmerica or not. I believe he is trying to work a deal with ducati.
On the other hand if he is really passionate about roadracing, seems like if he is healthy now, he might need to get out and prove himself by just doing it.
Go buy a bike, modify it to be competitive and go kick everybody's .

If he can still do that then maybe the factories will be ready to throw some money his way. It just sounds kind of arrogant to me, to say, if I can't get contracts ike I had before, I aint goin'.

You may be right, I might be reading it all wrong. Just my reaction.
__________________
Asphalt is for racing... dirt is for growing potatoes. - J. Diester
When seconds count... the police are only minutes away.
Grow up and be a productive member of society already.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #18
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off
 
bumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 13,256


Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900






Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGs View Post
We are clearly at the bottom ranks in terms of developing world class road racing talent.
And have been for a long time.
When AMA sold racing DMG (NASCAR people) changed the Daytona 200 to be a 600 race instead of the 1000 race it had long been.
That off teams who had been developing the big bikes and some even pulled out of the series.

Without heavy factory involvement, racers can't compete with countries where the rules are more conducive and the public is more enthusiastic. Remember the whole point is making money.
__________________
Asphalt is for racing... dirt is for growing potatoes. - J. Diester
When seconds count... the police are only minutes away.
Grow up and be a productive member of society already.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #19
BuckNut
Bye, Felicia!
 
BuckNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,480


Bike(s):
A Few









Iíd like to see Elbows back!
__________________
The Real Troll Brostien, playing them like a fiddle.

MH Member: "The hate group quit posting because of you".
Me: Hold my beer...
BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:59 PM   #20
aznhero913
J.D.
 
aznhero913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Austin
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,190

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 CBR600rr
2005 R6 (bye baby)
1992 Yamaha Seca (1st one)







AMA was a blast to watch until a decade ago!

After Spies left, it went completely down hill. Of course it wasn't related but it coincided...
__________________
aznhero913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy