MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
gixxerbill
Senior Member
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Corpus Christi
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 8,321

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper







Anybody ever hit a turtle? What happened?

We were riding back to corpus from Lone Star rally and i was in 3rd staggered position behind some harleys.(man they are obnoxiously loud) Anyway i am close to the shoulder white line and I see a good size turtle moving pretty dang fast for a turtle crossing the road right in my path. So I swing right to barely miss it and point it out for the rest of the group.

So it got me thinking what would happen if you hit a turtle at highway speeds? Would you simply speed jump it or would it catch under the front tire causing it to wash out your front??

Anybody ever hit one? If yes, what happened?
gixxerbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turtle Wax ICE Smart Shield Technology NewsBot Industry News 0 10-16-2015 03:20 PM
Post Turtle... cedestech Off Topic 3 08-07-2012 10:36 AM
Dog Vs. Turtle. (turtle cheats and wins) AiJay Off Topic 20 05-12-2010 03:47 PM
turtle rapes shoe burnboy Off Topic 16 06-06-2009 08:50 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2017, 10:20 AM   #2
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 25,776

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'17 CBR1000S1 Tricolor
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'12 CBR1000RR (sold)
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post

So it got me thinking what would happen if you hit a turtle at highway speeds? Would you simply speed jump it or would it catch under the front tire causing it to wash out your front??

Anybody ever hit one? If yes, what happened?
If you're going straight the bike is going to want to stay straight. If you don't hit the turtle square on I guess it could cause a tank slapper.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:31 AM   #3
hondarider77
Senior Member
 
hondarider77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,465

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 cbr1000rr
2005 crf450r
2005 crf150f
2005 crf150f tarded
2008 r6






Send a message via AIM to hondarider77
Are we talking a red eared slider? Soft shell? Alligator snapping turtle? Makes a difference.
hondarider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-06-2017, 10:47 AM   #4
TomballD
Senior Member
 
TomballD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tomball
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 8,994

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80






I saw a car hit and turtle and that exploded into a mass of blood and green. I'm sure its possible to ride it out, but the right hit and it would take a bike down easily.
__________________
Danny
TomballD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:02 AM   #5
gixxerbill
Senior Member
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Corpus Christi
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 8,321

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper







Quote:
Originally Posted by hondarider77 View Post
Are we talking a red eared slider? Soft shell? Alligator snapping turtle? Makes a difference.
So your're asking a non turtle expert what he saw at 80mph crossing the road? He was greenish black really long neck and about bigger than one of those hareley half shell helmets.
gixxerbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:21 AM   #6
hondarider77
Senior Member
 
hondarider77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,465

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 cbr1000rr
2005 crf450r
2005 crf150f
2005 crf150f tarded
2008 r6






Send a message via AIM to hondarider77
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
So your're asking a non turtle expert what he saw at 80mph crossing the road? He was greenish black really long neck and about bigger than one of those hareley half shell helmets.
Just trying to wrap my head around the situation you were in.
hondarider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #7
Japawhat02
02 Tona
 
Japawhat02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: P-land
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 7,240

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
1997 XR400 TARDED









turtles have hard shells, but i would imagine you would just crush it at that speed. If not prepare for a ride. I hit a 4x4 at about 50 once, and it was not fun. Smashed nuts and an unintended endo followed by hellacious tankslapper = poopy pants lol.
__________________
2002 Brittish Rocket
Japawhat02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:12 PM   #8
GABRIEL
Senior Member
 
GABRIEL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SW/SE Houston
Feedback Rating: (14)
Posts: 7,429

Experience: 1-3 months











maybe someone has hit one at msrh and would chime in.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #9
7cain
Resident Ginja
 
7cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: H-Town
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 5,417

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'02 ZX6R




Member Garage


I knew someone that hit a turtle right after he got his new bike. Hit it at about 50mph, went down, went and picked up the turtle (still alive) put it in his backpack and took it home.

Went into the back yard and shot it. He was .
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum
... your is sexy. i want it.
FELIS DEMULCTA MITIS (translation: A stroked cat is gentle)

SBN blade specialist.
7cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #10
loosenoose
veteran novice
 
loosenoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: montgomery
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 4,371

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'98 vfr800fi
ssr razkull
pink electric kid's scoot


Member Garage


loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:08 PM   #11
gixxerbill
Senior Member
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Corpus Christi
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 8,321

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper







Quote:
Originally Posted by 7cain View Post
I knew someone that hit a turtle right after he got his new bike. Hit it at about 50mph, went down, went and picked up the turtle (still alive) put it in his backpack and took it home.

Went into the back yard and shot it. He was .
:r ofl: oh you made me laugh. Thanks.
gixxerbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:20 PM   #12
jetcycles
Repeat Offender
 
jetcycles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ShoreAcres
Feedback Rating: (15)
Posts: 12,477

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50






Send a message via AIM to jetcycles
I've never hit a turtle, but I did hit a raccoon while running about 65MPH one night, with a passenger on the back. The raccoon ended up in two pieces, blood and guts everywhere, and I never carried a passenger on a public roadway again!


So bill, off topic, any good Monday night happy hours in CC? I'm already picking up 101.3 on the radio...beats the heck out of Houston radio!
__________________
I understand the consequences of my actions prior to engaging in those actions. . .there are certain situations in life where the risk is totally worth the reward.
jetcycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:27 PM   #13
William Wolfen
Senior Member
 
William Wolfen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Cypress, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 252

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2015 Suzuki DR650









I think the results could vary wildly depending on the angle you hit it at and what kind of bike you were riding. Moore suspension gravel and ground clearance might help with a really square on hit. Might not matter at all in a glancing hit. Best bet is to dodge, as you did. Good on ya for saving a turtle.

I dodged one on Saturday myself. Small tortoise, perhaps 3-4 inch long, 2-3 inch tall shell, right in the middle of a gravel road. None of the 12 of us crashed, so im thinking he survived, albeit in a cloud of dust.
__________________
2015 Suzuki DR650
2010 Ducati Hypermotard Evo SP - For Sale
William Wolfen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:28 PM   #14
gixxerbill
Senior Member
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Corpus Christi
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 8,321

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper







Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
I've never hit a turtle, but I did hit a raccoon while running about 65MPH one night, with a passenger on the back. The raccoon ended up in two pieces, blood and guts everywhere, and I never carried a passenger on a public roadway again!


So bill, off topic, any good Monday night happy hours in CC? I'm already picking up 101.3 on the radio...beats the heck out of Houston radio!
Not sure about the happy hours been out of club scene for a while. Also try to 92.7 it rocks as well. How long you in Corpus for?

So you really don't let chicks ride on the back anymore?
gixxerbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:31 PM   #15
jetcycles
Repeat Offender
 
jetcycles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ShoreAcres
Feedback Rating: (15)
Posts: 12,477

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50






Send a message via AIM to jetcycles
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
Not sure about the happy hours been out of club scene for a while. Also try to 92.7 it rocks as well. How long you in Corpus for?

So you really don't let chicks ride on the back anymore?
Hitting that was a wild ride. The suspension was preloaded due to the passenger and she took quite a bounce off the seat while the bike bounced off of the critrer. Luckily, she held tightly to my jacket and landed on her seat, what little there was, and we somehow escaped unscathed. I've always been very aware of the potential consequences of my riding...but I was no longer comfortable with the thought of making a beautiful person ugly through my actions.


I'm only in town for a quick trip, about to shed my corporate clothes in favor of FRC'S and get to work...if we get this pipeline back up and running in a timely manner I might go scavenge dinner.
__________________
I understand the consequences of my actions prior to engaging in those actions. . .there are certain situations in life where the risk is totally worth the reward.
jetcycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:50 PM   #16
gixxerbill
Senior Member
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Corpus Christi
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 8,321

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper







Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
Hitting that was a wild ride. The suspension was preloaded due to the passenger and she took quite a bounce off the seat while the bike bounced off of the critrer. Luckily, she held tightly to my jacket and landed on her seat, what little there was, and we somehow escaped unscathed. I've always been very aware of the potential consequences of my riding...but I was no longer comfortable with the thought of making a beautiful person ugly through my actions.
I can see your concern but that wasn't your fault. I am really strict with my wife now about wearing gear. And I won't do real crazy stuff when she is on the back.


Quote:
m only in town for a quick trip, about to shed my corporate clothes in favor of FRC'S and get to work...if we get this pipeline back up and running in a timely manner I might go scavenge dinner.
Well have fun man. Waterstreet is usually pretty good and we even have a Salt Grass now. If you like sushi try Rock & Roll sushi on the island. They play rock n roll in there and all their rolls are named after rock artist or songs. Really really good sushi. The soft shell crab appetizer is amazing.
gixxerbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:51 PM   #17
bdmpastx
The Cripple
 
bdmpastx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,000

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR





I hit a football sized rock in the hill country once while leaning. It bent the front wheel and blew out the tire. I kept it up straight and rode it into Leaky that way. I got to the gas station, beat it with a hammer and 2x4. Aired it up and rode it back to the trailer in Boerne. I would imagine a turtle would have done the same thing or less.
__________________
Just the same way you are tortured by common sense, I am tortured as to why you have none.
bdmpastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-06-2017, 05:13 PM   #18
gixxerbill
Senior Member
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Corpus Christi
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 8,321

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper







Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx View Post
I hit a football sized rock in the hill country once while leaning. It bent the front wheel and blew out the tire. I kept it up straight and rode it into Leaky that way. I got to the gas station, beat it with a hammer and 2x4. Aired it up and rode it back to the trailer in Boerne. I would imagine a turtle would have done the same thing or less.
glad it didn't take you down man.
gixxerbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-06-2017, 05:45 PM   #19
7cain
Resident Ginja
 
7cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: H-Town
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 5,417

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'02 ZX6R




Member Garage


My front tire kissed the of a deer in the hill country. Was going about 55 at night when one jumped out in front of me, back tire started sliding so I added more front brake. Back tire was off the ground when I made contact. Had to washe the bike next morning, it stank.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum
... your is sexy. i want it.
FELIS DEMULCTA MITIS (translation: A stroked cat is gentle)

SBN blade specialist.
7cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:18 PM   #20
GABRIEL
Senior Member
 
GABRIEL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SW/SE Houston
Feedback Rating: (14)
Posts: 7,429

Experience: 1-3 months











Bill, take jet out for dinner. don't be a .
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy