MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2017, 01:49 PM   #21
BuckNut
Bye, Felicia!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
A Few

This is absolute blasphemy to say this as a Honda man.

The new Yamaha R6 is a phenomenal package. Plenty of electronics to keep you out of trouble PLUS you will grow into it after gaining confidence and experience.

The above posts are sound advice but letís face it, if you stick to the sport the above machines will bore the out of you especially in group rides and canyon carving.

Good luck in your search!

MH Member: "The hate group quit posting because of you".
Me: Hold my beer...
BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
question about a bike speeddemon23 How To's and Q & A's 26 08-10-2009 01:39 PM
Question about used bike. CBR_Ryder General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 09-15-2006 06:29 PM
OIL FOR BIKE? QUESTION Motogp05 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 05-29-2006 09:56 PM
bike question Mr_Bmw General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 04-02-2006 12:20 AM
Question! : Who ONLY has a Bike ? Maverick General Discussion (Moto Related) 38 10-26-2005 05:24 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2017, 01:53 PM   #22
MaxGs
Veritas Aequitas

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW GS Adventure

The difference is 11k+ on a new bike and then 3k in depreciation in the first year versus a 5k bike and less then 1k in depreciation.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #23
BuckNut
Bye, Felicia!

Bike(s):
A Few

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGs View Post
The difference is 11k+ on a new bike and then 3k in depreciation in the first year versus a 5k bike and less then 1k in depreciation.
True, but this sport is for enthusiasts! While cost is a factor Iíve always purchased on what stirs my soul. At this moment itís a R6 sitting in the garage next to the VFR.

Not sure how many used examples of the new generation are available at the moment, but used bikes are definetly a wise choice.
BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:19 PM   #24
Repth
Bermanently Panned

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNut View Post
This is absolute blasphemy to say this as a Honda man.

The new Yamaha R6 is a phenomenal package. Plenty of electronics to keep you out of trouble PLUS you will grow into it after gaining confidence and experience.

The above posts are sound advice but letís face it, if you stick to the sport the above machines will bore the out of you especially in group rides and canyon carving.

Good luck in your search!
Is that why you bought an RSV4, to compensate for lack of riding skill with horsepower?

OP, this is a shining example of the fact that a bike does not make you a competent rider. If your group rides are grossly outpacing 300cc class bikes, you are doing it wrong. Like way wrong. If you need evidence, show up to a track day and watch the 300s in level 2 obliterate nearly every other bike on the track.
Originally Posted by DvlRacer
Meh, I agree with his OP
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:52 PM   #25
Van Horn
VanHorn50

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edfairman View Post
Iím over all a new rider been on a few times, but thatís it very much a beginner. Iím looking to get a sports bike there a bunch of different ones out there and I was wanting to know from people that actually ride not from what sales person is going to tell me just for me to buy it. In your opinion whatís the best bang for the buck for a motorcycle? I want something thatís going to be reliable and is going to last. Thanks for any and all input. Fairman
I've had no problems with my 2012 R6. It's power band seems to be mid to high rpm, so you don't have to worry about it getting out from you when taking off.
Van Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:37 PM   #26
Mace
Wisdom

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Honda ST1300 Iron # 44260
honda silverwing. drag scooter
Honda DNO1 700, wife's bike
07 SV650 Track
12 R6 (Son's track bike

The first time you over cook a corner , which you will , the L/W 300 will be a great first bike .
Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:22 PM   #27
Repth
Bermanently Panned

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace View Post
The first time you over cook a corner , which you will , the L/W 300 will be a great first bike .
Agreed, that's the biggest reason I'd recommend it to a beginner.
Originally Posted by DvlRacer
Meh, I agree with his OP
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:07 PM   #28
TheGreatDane

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
L6 GSX-S 750
K6 GSX-R 750 (Sold)
K7 GSX-R 600 (R.I.P.)
'12 Ninja 650r (Wife's)

Member Garage

Best bang for your buck right now is to grab one of those 2012-2015 Ninja 650's or CB500's on Facebook market place. The cheapest I've seen is $2,500 to about $5,000 for low mileage, quality bikes that won't lose much value. The 650/500 can keep you entertained for at least a year while you're still learning.
TheGreatDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:45 AM   #29
nunieboy

going back to the original question,

I've only been riding a few years, and i've been through about 5 bikes (4 if grom isn't included)

My personal recommendation would be the fz-07 or the likes

I know a lot of seasoned riders will recommend the 300 and for track purposes, it's definitely better.

but as a guy who rides 100% street, and from personal experience i think the fz07 is just the right amount of power for a beginner without getting boring.

And as for as the "overcook"-ing. well i've overcooked all the bikes, even on the street. just part of being new... and i'd much rather overcook it on something small like a 300 or the fz07 than on the 600... sure there was traction control on the 600 but i've also seen people panic and just completely eat it.

just my two cents. i start on a 300, then 636 then fz07 and now on a 765.

i stayed on a fz07 the longest and only moved up cause i'm doing more freeway riding for work. i would've kept the fz07 for weekend fun and the likes if i didn't need/want the extra power for freeway (not that the fz07 can't do, i just wanted the extra power for personal reasons.)
nunieboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement