MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
bunxx
Saw 'em Off!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
duc 800SS
polaris ranger
yamaha rhino

Mother sues city for $900 trillion–yes, trillion–for placing children in foster care

Quote:
A Staten Island mom is making national headlines today after suing the city of West Brighton for $900 trillion, alleging the city improperly placed her two children in foster care.

The $900 trillion figure, first reported by the New York Post, certainly is staggering and the standard response so far has been to treat the lawsuit as something of a joke, focusing on the mother's alleged mental illness.

But I have to agree with the Inquisitr's Kim LaCapria, who says plaintiff Fausat Ogunbayo is actually quite clever in choosing to sue for $900 trillion. After all, how many people would be reading about this story and discussing Ogunbayo's plight had she quietly filed her petition without seeking monetary compensation?

Of course there's no way she'll get a settlement remotely approaching that number, if she is awarded anything at all. After all, the entire U.S. has an annual gross national income of just over $14 trillion. Or, put another way, if Ogunbayo was awarded $900 trillion she'd have enough disposable income to pay off the U.S. national debt several dozen times over.

Ogunbayo sued the city and the Administration for Children's Services (ACS), alleging that both entities violated her and her children's civil liberties by placing them in foster care in June, 2008. In her lawsuit, obtained by The Smoking Gun, Ogunbayo listed her grievances as follows:

"For causing plaintiff substantial economic hardship; for causing plaintiff substantial economic injuries; for depriving plaintiff and plaintiff children's Civil Right, 42 U.S.C. section 1983; for depriving plaintiff and plaintiff's children, the right to family integrity; for depriving plaintiff and plaintiff's children, the right to life, liberty, property and the right guaranteed by statute; for disregarding the probability of plaintiff's children, suffering emotional and mental distress."

The city has not responded to Ogunbayo's lawsuit but contends that she is mentally ill and unable to properly care for her two boys, who are now teenagers.The New York City Law Department released a statement to ABC News, which said, "We are unable to comment on pending litigation. The amount a plaintiff requests in a lawsuit has no bearing on whether the case has any merit and no relation to actual damages if any."

The state alleges Ogunbayo suffers from hallucinations, refuses mental health treatment and placed her children at risk by leaving them at home for several hours each day. Two of the more specific allegations are that Ogunbayo wrote to her children's former school, insisting that the FBI and Secret Service were after her children and that their skin was becoming darker due to radiation exposure.

However, the state Appellate Division recently threw out a family court finding that Ogunbayo was guilty of neglecting her children. "Proof of mental illness alone will not support a finding of neglect," the court ruled, according to SILive.com

Ogunbayo is representing herself in the case.
bunxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CPS addresses foster care child abuse allegations of slain children NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 08-13-2015 07:40 PM
Children slain in mass murder were abused in foster care, judge says NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 08-12-2015 04:40 PM
6 children killed in mass murder were in foster care 2 years ago NewsBot Houston - Local News 0 08-11-2015 07:20 PM
Can we add another trillion? pester The Circus 1 12-14-2014 12:05 AM
CNBC Digital VP's Children Murdered After $43 Trillion "Bankster" Lawsuit Suit Post Petro Off Topic 5 11-13-2012 12:44 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
mkgsxr
mike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT

People like this make me sick
mkgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Get Some!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Either really dumb or really smart... haven't made my decision yet
103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

She did nothing wrong! who the feels the government has the right to "" your children away because some onlooker or teacher thought her "radiation" comments made her mentally unfit. This is bullshit and I hope she wins her case. They had no right to take her kids, they overstepped their boundaries here.
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Sheep should have asked for a Bazillion Gazillion.

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
cychotic
Banned

Experience: 1-3 months

User is banned

cychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
Grimace

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post
She did nothing wrong! who the feels the government has the right to "" your children away because some onlooker or teacher thought her "radiation" comments made her mentally unfit. This is bullshit and I hope she wins her case. They had no right to take her kids, they overstepped their boundaries here.
Not a funny thing to deal with, but the amount of money involved is stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
Sheep should have asked for a Bazillion Gazillion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cychotic View Post
she should have sued china instead... we don't have that money anyway... lol
+1
Old 02-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

the amount was probably to make a point and or get media attention. either way, if she did win, the judge or jury would determine her monetary suffering. Its actually pretty clever what she is doing. bringing light to the fact that our out of control government needs a serious check on power.
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Quote:
the amount was probably to make a point and or get media attention. either way, if she did win, the judge or jury would determine her monetary suffering. Its actually pretty clever what she is doing. bringing light to the fact that our out of control government needs a serious check on power.
YES! I agree that mental illness does not equate to child endangerment unless the child is actually being harmed. It says they are both teenagers now, so in 2009 the youngest couldn't have been less than 9, and, therefore, could stay home alone for hours - they shouldn't use that excuse at all. I hope she does get something out of this.

And, yes, the amount is for attention - she's representing herself, so media attention will help her case.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
v4lu3s

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

the amount of money and self representation tells me she has mental problems...
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #11
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
I disagree.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
mkgsxr
mike

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT

I disagree as well
mkgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Trackdays: 2

obama will take 899 trillion to make sure she pays her fair share.

Bringing back the old school.
Azylum is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement