MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Classifieds > Motorcycles For Sale
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (53)

Member Garage

Bike Buying/Selling Information

When purchasing a motorcycle:

Title issues can put a real damper on your riding plans. There are a few things you should check before handing over the cash. Be sure that the owner has the title to the bike, verify that the name on the title matches the name on his Driver's License. If it does, great! Many people, however, choose not to register their bikes. Registration can run anywhere from $15-$500 so it's common for someone to just hang on to the title and never actually place the bike in their name. This isn't a total deal killer though, just check the title to and see if the person named on the title signed in all the correct places. They should have signed the front and the back, and hopefully they left the date box empty, being that it is a hefty penalty fee if you register the bike more than 20 days after purchase. You need to carefully inspect all sections of the title that are reserved for the buyer, which is you. If anyone else has signed or printed their information in that section then you have quite the mess on your hands. Glance under the notes section on the right side of the title to be sure it isn't salvaged.

If all the title stuff checks out and you are going to move forward with the transaction then you need a bill of sale. The state allows you to create your own bill of sale as long as it has all the required information. If you want to save yourself a lot of trouble at the Tax Office, print out the VTR-130U and have the previous owner fill it out for you.

If you have the ability to run the VIN of the bike it never hurts to do so. Websites such as publicdata.com can assist you with this with a cheap yearly or monthly membership. If the owner lost the title, you can run the VIN to be sure it is in their name. Then you can get them to sign power of attorney(VTR271) over the bike to you and you can take the lost title form(VTR34) down to the Houston office and get a replacement title for under $5. This is a great way to knock some money off the sale price if you are willing to do the leg work and get the title.

When selling a bike:

All the information above is still important. Be sure you only sign on the front and back of the title under the "seller" spots. As the seller, you should want to date the title so that the buyer is diligent about getting it transferred into their name asap and isn't running around breaking laws on a bike that is still registered to you. There is a form you can fill out to protect yourself(VTR346), but it does cost a couple bucks to submit. I generally have them fill it out and will only send it into the DMV if a problem arises.

I know I am missing a LOT of information in this thread but I will fill it out in greater detail as questions are asked. I'm not a lawyer but I am very well versed on Texas Traffic Code, so don't hesistate to post in this thread or PM me any questions. Just remember, my advice is given purely as friendly advice NOT legal advice. If you have anything you wish to add let me know and I'd be glad to edit it into this post.

State Documents:
VTR130U: http://www.traviscountytax.org/pdfs/VTR-130-U.pdf
VTR271: http://www.traviscountytax.org/pdfs/VTR-271POA.pdf
VTR34: http://www.traviscountytax.org/pdfs/...opyofTitle.pdf
VTR346: http://www.traviscountytax.org/pdfs/vtr-346.pdf

Houston Regional Tax Office:
7721 Washington Ave
HOUSTON, TX 77007
(713) 802-4300

When you register a vehicle in TX you have to pay 6.25 taxes on the SPV(standard presumptive value) of the vehicle. You can find out what the SPV of your purchase is here:
http://www.txdot.gov/drivers_vehicle...tive_value.htm

Getting a Bonded Title

Step 1: Determine your eligibility

In order to qualify, you must be a Texas resident or military personnel stationed in Texas; or have a vehicle that was last titled in Texas. The vehicle must be in your possession and cannot be considered abandoned, junked, stolen, or in any other pending lawsuits. Although not required to be operational, it must be a complete vehicle including a frame, body and motor or frame and motor if a motorcycle.

To determine your eligibility for the bonded title procedure and the value of the bond, take or mail the following documents to your Vehicle Titles and Registration (VTR) Division Regional Office:

1.) A Statement of Fact for Bonded Title (VTR-130-SOF),
2.) A Statement of Physical Inspection (VTR-270)
3.) Any supporting evidence of ownership (Bill of Sale, Invoice, Cancelled Check, etc.)
4.) A photocopy of your driver’s license if requesting Texas motor vehicle information

If your documents are approved, the amount of the bond equal to 1Ĺ times the value of the vehicle will be determined by the Regional Office using a national reference guide. If you disagree with the amount you may furnish an appraisal by a licensed motor vehicle dealer or insurance appraiser. Once the value of the vehicle is determined the VTR Regional Office will give you a letter within 24 hours showing the amount the bond needs to be purchased in.

Step 2: Purchase a surety bond

Take the letter and other documents given to you by the VTR Regional Office to an auto insurance agency or any agency that sells vehicle Surety Bonds.

You have one year from the date of the letter to purchase a Surety Bond in the amount shown on the letter, otherwise a new letter and bond would be required.

Step 3: Apply for a bonded title

Within 30 days from purchasing the surety bond, take the original letter given to you by the Regional Office and the documents listed above, to your county tax office, in addition to:

a completed Form VTR 130-U
proof of insurance.
If the vehicle is from out of state, you will also need to provide a Vehicle Identification Certificate (Form VI-30), completed by a Safety Inspection Station. If the vehicle is from out of country, you will need a Customs Document (HS 7). If the vehicle is a truck or commercial vehicle you may also need a weight certificate.

Last edited by a forum moderator; 09-11-2009 at 03:39 PM.
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RIP JAY J With 1 L.U.V. Ryderz - Funeral information and event information Prico787 General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 11-10-2012 01:33 PM
Selling my Bike makushr1 How To's and Q & A's 14 02-26-2011 02:16 PM
selling a bike 2007z1000 Motorcycles Unlimited 0 08-08-2010 07:59 PM
Process of buying/selling Ares General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 02-12-2010 10:17 PM
Buying and Selling Motorcycles bumblebee General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 01-02-2009 02:59 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Very Useful post!!! Sticky Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer-Joy View Post
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
DNGRMOUSE
Banned

Location: Noorf East side, Hillbilly , In the Dog house normally
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
'97 Honda VFR 750
'09 Buell Firebolt Xb12R
Fatboy
Tricycle
pocket rocket

User is banned

DNGRMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
jfly
RIP Coach Dave

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
cbr 600 F3 LOR exhaust

Member Garage

cool man good info

WHATEVA! Ill do what I want!
Street Experience 9 to 12 months
Actual Riding Experience 10+ years
Quote:
I'll say this, he did a pretty decent job hanging with 3 liter bikes on 45 on his F3!!
jfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Great info Keith.

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
Navajib

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
CRF450R Motard
Some Dirties
WTB: Grom! PM me!

Good info.

Navajib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Updated, will include hyperlinks w/in the text later
Old 12-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
Missing: Naked SV650, FZ1, Night Hawk
Best Upgrade:Sv650 Suspension full credit (Motorcycles Unlimited)

Member Garage

TY sir
Old 12-14-2009, 12:00 PM   #9
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
Old 03-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
Ares

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r
Ninjette 250ex - SOLD :'|
Blondie ZX6R - SOLD :'|

Quote:
There is a form you can fill out to protect yourself(VTR346), but it does cost a couple bucks to submit. I generally have them fill it out and will only send it into the DMV if a problem arises.
When you say it costs a couple of bucks, you mean mailing correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I got the hint and dropped to the back of the ranks just in front of Ares, who btw rocks the outta that 250.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares View Post
When you say it costs a couple of bucks, you mean mailing correct?
Sadly enough, they actually charge you to submit that form AFAIK.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
Old 03-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #12
kawasakijockey
Crotchrocket Scientist

Bike(s):
2007 zx14
2002 cbr954
1977 kz1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
Sadly enough, they actually charge you to submit that form AFAIK.
They had updated a change to filing that form last year where the $5 fee is no longer applied.
kawasakijockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #13
PimpDaub
I'm Rat 'Tarded

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
1973 Honda Cb750 Four -Cafe in progress
2005 CRF50 STUNT - MONSTER ENERGY
2001 Suzuki DRZ400E/SM (SOLD) :-(
Don't worry, scrot. There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick- lives.
My first bike was a 'Tard. She's a Pilot now."

Member Garage

STICKY THIS NOW!!!

I COMMAND IT!

He nailed the take-off, but when he landed, something terrible happened. His front tire exploded like a cannonball, and his handle bars went straight through his head. Blood was everywhere. His teeth were ground down to a powder, and the front of his face exploded out the back of his skull. He died instantly... the next day.
PimpDaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #14
Navajib

Bike(s):
CRF450R Motard
Some Dirties
WTB: Grom! PM me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpDaub View Post
STICKY THIS NOW!!!

I COMMAND IT!
Shows how much you pay attention.
Navajib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:08 AM   #15
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Had a question for Keith about buying a bike with an out of state title and he told me this and asked to add it to this thread. "As far as the bike, the only difference is you need it to be inspected BEFORE you can register it, whereas normally they wouldn't care. Make sure you ask the inspector for a "green sheet" and tell him it was registered out of state."
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:31 PM   #16
BPJ28
BPJ28

Bike(s):
none

thanks 4 the helpful info
BPJ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #17
AYEELE
Yeah i can get it up

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
08 1000rr
silver 04 r6(stunt)
Black 03 600rr(sold)
White and pink 06 r6

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyex View Post
Well, here you may also find some useful information on buing a bike.
i dont think i should even click that link.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:59 PM   #18
babymilo36
(งಠ‿ಠ)ง

Bike(s):
2017 Grom

Member Garage

bump for a really informative thread per keith's request
babymilo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #19