MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2019, 12:07 PM   #1
Kenneth
Elizabeth Rocks!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'19 Tuono Factory
'18 Tuono RR (sold)
'15 Street Triple R (sold)
'15 FZ6R (terrible bike) (sold)
'90 Katana 750 (sold)

As speed increases, should lean angle decrease?

Simple question. As speed increases, should the lean angle decrease?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45 at 118.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	886.4 KB
ID:	103927  
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Caption that the 85 lean angle NewsBot Racing News 0 02-25-2014 05:50 AM
Italians and lean angle Tojo92 General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 02-05-2012 03:55 PM
Lean Angle ChrisGo Taking it to the Track 54 08-13-2009 09:14 PM
so u think u got lean angle ? jodyhudson General Discussion (Moto Related) 50 02-20-2009 06:53 AM
SICK LEAN ANGLE FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 03-20-2008 02:29 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2019, 12:41 PM   #2
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)
79 XS650
12 EX250R (race)
15 YZF-R3 (race)
14 MSX125

How long is a piece of string?
CMRA#59
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:51 PM   #3
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Simple question. As speed increases, should the lean angle decrease?
I think the opposite.
The faster more lean angle... If I understood the question right... I'm guessing when taken a turn...
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #4
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'17 CBR1000S1 Tricolor
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'12 CBR1000RR (sold)
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Through the same turn using the exact same line, the lean angle of the bike increases with speed. Now, your instruments that measure the lean angle could be off.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:41 PM   #5
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'17 CBR1000S1 Tricolor
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'12 CBR1000RR (sold)

Member Garage

65 degree lean angle
Liked this post:
Old 06-14-2019, 03:07 PM   #6
Gixxerguy86
Rider. Tuner. Wrencher.

Bike(s):
1986 GSXR 815
2002 Bandit 1200
GSXR 1137cc Frankendragster (SOLD)
various other oil-cooled Suzukis
lots of dirt bikes

Member Garage

I agree with Bevo, lean angle increases (with respect to the vertical axis as zero) with more speed
Old 06-14-2019, 03:47 PM   #7
The Morganator

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2016 Aprilia Tuono Factory
2008 ZX14

Member Garage

I live by this phrase...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56D1BA5A-79EB-431A-8465-83CA26C82E79.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	103929  
Old 06-14-2019, 04:03 PM   #8
Kenneth
Elizabeth Rocks!

Bike(s):
'19 Tuono Factory
'18 Tuono RR (sold)
'90 Katana 750 (sold)

I knew I would be elaborating on this. So. Lest say a rider is taking corners at an average of 60-80 mph at an average of 45-52 degrees lean. My thought is that as speed increases, say 120-140, the same lean angle becomes more precarious as the suspension has to work harder to soak up more bumps and groves at a faster pace. So should a ride to reduce leaning as hard on faster turns ?
Old 06-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #9
Gixxerguy86
Rider. Tuner. Wrencher.

Bike(s):
1986 GSXR 815
2002 Bandit 1200
GSXR 1137cc Frankendragster (SOLD)
various other oil-cooled Suzukis
lots of dirt bikes

Member Garage

Quote:
I knew I would be elaborating on this. So. Lest say a rider is taking corners at an average of 60-80 mph at an average of 45-52 degrees lean. My thought is that as speed increases, say 120-140, the same lean angle becomes more precarious as the suspension has to work harder to soak up more bumps and groves at a faster pace. So should a ride to reduce leaning as hard on faster turns ?
Isn't that the point of dragging knee?
Old 06-14-2019, 05:03 PM   #10
Kenneth
Elizabeth Rocks!

Bike(s):
'19 Tuono Factory
'18 Tuono RR (sold)
'90 Katana 750 (sold)

Old 06-14-2019, 05:04 PM   #11
Kenneth
Elizabeth Rocks!

Bike(s):
'19 Tuono Factory
'18 Tuono RR (sold)
'90 Katana 750 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxerguy86 View Post
Isn't that the point of dragging knee?
Imagine you’re taking an infinite right turn. The turn grows infinitely wider. In taking this turn you maintain a constant lean angle. In order to do this you would have to increase your speed. Let’s assume you’re dragging your knee the entire time. As speed increases commensurate to the expanding radius, dose traction become more tenuous?
Old 06-14-2019, 05:11 PM   #12
Kevin7909

The frame is designed to flex when the bike is leaned over. Especially the headstock area. If it's too stiff the bike will low side with no warning. The flexing increases grip and also gives the rider feedback. Your motorcycle is tuned to be predictable at high lean angles.

You mentioned lean angle and showed a number on a LCD screen. I assume that's your bike. On the road and at the lean angles you will likely achieve riding with Keith (I know you ride with Keith which is why I mentioned him) it's a non issue. But to take it a little further, the lean angle sensor in your bike is likely calibrated at the factory to 0 degrees (let's call 0 degrees horizontal). The roads we ride on are rarely horizontal. They are purposely at an angle for usually two reasons. One is for water runoff and the other is to equalize the cornering forces at some predetermined speed. That's why in some corners you don't feel like you're being pushed out of the car but on some other slower corners it's pretty intense. This is also shown on nascar tracks where you have to maintain a certain speed for the car to not want to drift to the center of the track. So on a bike with a reading at say 20 degrees (depending on speed) you might be sitting straight up when on a nascar track. So the absolute angle is 20 degrees but your lean angle relative to the riding surface is 0 degrees. This is relevant because your bike will show 45 degrees sometimes and 30 at others and because the road is not horizontal but the meter is comparing your lean angle to a horizontal reference, the lean angle indicator for relative measurement is pretty useless unless you get survey charts with the roads angles. And of course we know at times roads crest in the middle just to add a bit more confusion. Therefore, for most of us the lean angle meter is good for comparing but not formal absolute numbers.

Someone mentioned dragging knee. The purpose of dragging knee is not to decrease lean angles, it is to have a feeler gauge so you know how much more lean you have before losing the tire or scraping hard parts. The person who posted this might know that but others do not, which is why it is included.
Kevin7909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:23 PM   #13
Kenneth
Elizabeth Rocks!

Bike(s):
'19 Tuono Factory
'18 Tuono RR (sold)
'90 Katana 750 (sold)

[QUOTE=Kevin7909;4177222]The frame is designed to flex when the bike is leaned over. Especially the headstock area. If it's too stiff the bike will low side with no warning. The flexing increases grip and also gives the rider feedback. Your motorcycle is tuned to be predictable at high lean angles.

You mentioned lean angle and showed a number on a LCD screen. I assume that's your bike. On the road and at the lean angles you will likely achieve riding with Keith (I know you ride with Keith which is why I mentioned him) it's a non issue. But to take it a little further, the lean angle sensor in your bike is likely calibrated at the factory to 0 degrees (let's call 0 degrees horizontal). The roads we ride on are rarely horizontal. They are purposely at an angle for usually two reasons. One is for water runoff and the other is to equalize the cornering forces at some predetermined speed. That's why in some corners you don't feel like you're being pushed out of the car but on some other slower corners it's pretty intense. This is also shown on nascar tracks where you have to maintain a certain speed for the car to not want to drift to the center of the track. So on a bike with a reading at say 20 degrees (depending on speed) you might be sitting straight up when on a nascar track. So the absolute angle is 20 degrees but your lean angle relative to the riding surface is 0 degrees. This is relevant because your bike will show 45 degrees sometimes and 30 at others and because the road is not horizontal but the meter is comparing your lean angle to a horizontal reference, the lean angle indicator for relative measurement is pretty useless unless you get survey charts with the roads angles. And of course we know at times roads crest in the middle just to add a bit more confusion. Therefore, for most of us the lean angle meter is good for comparing but not formal absolute numbers.

Someone mentioned dragging knee. The purpose of dragging knee is not to decrease lean angles, it is to have a feeler gauge so you know how much more lean you have before losing the tire or scraping hard parts. The person who posted this might know that but others do not, which is why it is included.[/

Sorry, I hope the picture wasn’t misleading. It was used to illustrate an idea Only but not be specific. Please see the post right above your last one. This is kinda theoretical.

Last edited by Kenneth; 06-14-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:32 PM   #14
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900ish SS/SP
1991 Bimota YB8
2005 Honda CRF 115 supermoto TMGP

Analysis Paralysis...just go ride, it will make sense in the real world.

What oil do you use?

Last edited by Tojo92; 06-14-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Tojo92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-14-2019, 05:45 PM   #15
Kenneth
Elizabeth Rocks!

Bike(s):
'19 Tuono Factory
'18 Tuono RR (sold)
'90 Katana 750 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post
Analysis Paralysis...just go ride, it will make sense in the real world.

What oil do you use?
It was a thought I was entertaining for fun.

300V changing every 3k miles (I know that’s super often) turns out it was a turned bearing that blew the motor. We found no metal in the oil but the sparkplug was smashed. Found metal fragments in th air filter! Wild hu? Anyways, waiting for a new engine. Blew at 9100 miles, less than 9 months old.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:19 PM   #16
Kenneth
Elizabeth Rocks!

Bike(s):
'19 Tuono Factory
'18 Tuono RR (sold)
'90 Katana 750 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin7909 View Post
The frame is designed to flex when the bike is leaned over. Especially the headstock area. If it's too stiff the bike will low side with no warning. The flexing increases grip and also gives the rider feedback. Your motorcycle is tuned to be predictable at high lean angles.

Someone mentioned dragging knee. The purpose of dragging knee is not to decrease lean angles, it is to have a feeler gauge so you know how much more lean you have before losing the tire or scraping hard parts. The person who posted this might know that but others do not, which is why it is included.
Sorry, I hope the picture wasn’t misleading. It was used to illustrate an idea Only but not be specific. Please see the post right above your last one. This is kinda theoretical
Old 06-14-2019, 08:33 PM   #17
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'17 CBR1000S1 Tricolor
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'12 CBR1000RR (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
The only way to affect the lean angle at a given speed, is to hang off the bike. Anyway, take the rider out of the equation. Say you could operate a bike by remote control. The faster a bike goes through the same turn on the same line, physics dictates that the bike leans more, period. There's nothing anyone can do to change that.

Liked this post:
Old 06-14-2019, 08:47 PM   #18
Kenneth
Elizabeth Rocks!

Bike(s):
'19 Tuono Factory
'18 Tuono RR (sold)
'90 Katana 750 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
The only way to affect the lean angle at a given speed, is to hang off the bike. Anyway, take the rider out of the equation. Say you could operate a bike by remote control. The faster a bike goes through the same turn on the same line, physics dictates that the bike leans more, period. There's nothing anyone can do to change that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8oq1zr1Tkk
Thanks Bevo. I understand. Iíll drop this, but Iíd like to clarify what I was asking one last time.

So here is a re-post of the theoretical question the way it should have been asked:

****Imagine youíre taking an infinite right turn. The turn grows infinitely wider. In taking this turn you maintain a constant lean angle. In order to do this you would have to increase your speed. Letís assume youíre dragging your knee the entire time. As speed increases commensurate to the expanding radius, dose traction become more tenuous? ****
Old 06-14-2019, 08:52 PM   #19
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'17 CBR1000S1 Tricolor
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'12 CBR1000RR (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Thanks Bevo. I understand. I’ll drop this, but I’d like to clarify what I was asking one last time.

So here is a re-post of the theoretical question the way it should have been asked:

****Imagine you’re taking an infinite right turn. The turn grows infinitely wider. In taking this turn you maintain a constant lean angle. In order to do this you would have to increase your speed. Let’s assume you’re dragging your knee the entire time. As speed increases commensurate to the expanding radius, dose traction become more tenuous? ****
If you're dragging knee the entire time is your body fixed in one position? I can drag knee, but I'm not hanging off so far I can drag elbow like Marquez. Take the rider's body position out of the equation. If the path you're following is gradually decreasing in radius, then to maintain the same lean angle the bike would have to accelerate throughout that radius.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:15 PM   #20
Kenneth
Elizabeth Rocks!

Bike(s):
'19 Tuono Factory
'18 Tuono RR (sold)
'90 Katana 750 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
If you're dragging knee the entire time is your body fixed in one position? I can drag knee, but I'm not hanging off so far I can drag elbow like Marquez. Take the rider's body position out of the equation. If the path you're following is gradually decreasing in radius, then to maintain the same lean angle the bike would have to accelerate throughout that radius.
Exactly!!!

Thatís the scenario. Is traction equal, given the same lean angle, at all speeds?

So I was considering that it takes time for suspension to travel, tires to deform around road surface, etcetera. And so a given lean angle may be radical but stable in a tight, low speed corner but much less stable when applied in a high speed corner. But considering that is only my own conjecture I threw it out in the forme because my tuono blew up and Iím super f*ckín board!

Advertisement